The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
WHYBYNU
WHYBYNU when old will do

Best thing about owning your truck.

Ok guys tell us what's the best thing about having a classic truck. For me it's that it's different than anything I see in town. People notice it weather pumping gas or just cruising around, definitely feeds the ego. I tell my boys it's like I'm Clark Kent in my ToyotaTocoma but Super man in the 1971.
4/6 drop
20x8.5 / 20x10 Billet Specialties
WHYBYNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Best thing about owning your truck.

They are classics (67-72) in design and the style of these trucks will never grow old. They are the Tri-fives of the Truck world.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 08-15-2020 at 08:21 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Davidf

I get to fix rust and wrench on it!! Seriously, that is fun for me.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
toms68cst

All the "hey I like your truck!" thumbs up and comments I get while driving it around town.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Biscuit240

It’s honestly always the prettiest, most timelessly designed truck in the parking lot. They really nailed it with the 67s 68s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Biscuit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
factorystock

For me, its about feeling the era these trucks represent. Nostalgia for the 70's. If you weren't around back then, you won't understand.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
dmjlambert

I love having a truck that I can use for anything and not worry about scratching it up. Washer and dryer need moving? OK. Load of wood? OK. If I do scratch some of the rust off by accident, that can't be a bad thing. I just like the looks of it. I dragged it out of a field and made it road worthy, now it is a great spectacle to drive around. Art project from Chevy and God. I've only received about 2 questions in the 6 years I've had it about "when are you going to fix it up?" and I told them "it is fixed up." What about this trim piece that looks like it's falling off? It's been that way since the original owner parked it in 1985. The vast majority of the comments are "I love the patina." But it's not patina, it's just a plain old rusty truck. Cars and trucks just don't rust correctly any more, with that modern metal they're made of. CST/10, top of the line! Some day will it "need" a paint job? Maybe. But I sure will miss this old truck if I do that. Long bed. I like that it's my daily driver. I don't have another vehicle myself, but my wife has a modern car. I keep telling her we need to get her an El Camino. Hey I just thought of something else in my rambling, how about it is easy and cheap to fix, and when you open the hood you see engine right there, and it's got positive crankcase ventilation for emission control.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Mine does what I need it to do, and it was free. Prices on these trucks are getting outrageous, even for derelicts. I went up to the lumber yard Thursday and parked facing a '72 3/4T painted in the same scheme as mine came from the factory- white/hugger orange/white. I'd've liked to seen the guy's face when he came out and saw them both there, but I was done and gone before whoever it was came out.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
For me, its about feeling the era these trucks represent. Nostalgia for the 70's. If you weren't around back then, you won't understand.
Completely agree. I have distinct memories of uncles in KY with farm K10s and K20s, trucks I'd love to find today - but also the general feeling of the early 70's era. Gone but not forgotten, at least not while we're all still here anyway! What's funny is on the rare occasion I see some of those uncles today, I bring up "that old two tone blue truck" or "that old black chevy 4x4 stepside with the weird purple and red stripes (a 76 K10 Sport), they don't even remember them. Just goes to show they were just "transportation" to some people. But, then again, back in the early 70's, they probably waxed nostalgic about the "real" trucks of the 50s...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
OregonNed

It’s my therapy. I love working on it, driving it, maintaining it and always looking for something cool to improve it.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #11
jessemthompson

I appreciate having something different from everybody else. I’m also proud that it’s on the toad because of the work I have put into it.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #12
Ironhorse

Have to agree with many of the things said here about these trucks. The designs of the trucks are truly timeless, simple and easy to maintain, can be comfortable with all the needed amenities without the electronic tech problems. I guess really the BEST thing about owning my truck is ....It's mine and belongs to me. One of these days it will belong to my youngest son. Middle son gets my 71 Chevelle and oldest son will get my 57 two door sedan.

I just tell them "Dad started playing with car and trucks about the age of 5 and being 71 years young I still ain't done playing yet".
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #13
yuccales

I still enjoy turning wrenches on these old trucks. For me it is relaxing. I'm the kind of guy that can turn a simple uni-set swap into an all day job, because I can! Nothing beats shop time working on my trucks...except today!
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #14
gmc684x4

Been my favorite truck i remember out 4x4 with my dad in the 72 when i was little

Car guys well notice you cruising around doesnt matter if dolled up or fresh from the back 40 shape

Who cares about the keeping up with Jones's crowd

Nuthing like showing off to a tuner kid in my old 4x4 can lay a patch while doing highway speeds
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #15
Warrens69GMC

Mine never complains. No Cel, no SES, you didn't drive me for a year so here is your dead battery.

Starts every time, never lets me down.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:18 PM   #16
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
I still enjoy turning wrenches on these old trucks. For me it is relaxing. I'm the kind of guy that can turn a simple uni-set swap into an all day job, because I can! Nothing beats shop time working on my trucks...except today!
105F in the shade here. I had my son pick me up some beer up on the way home from work. No way i was going out in that. I'd go dry first. I used to work in that kind of heat as a mechanic, and I am DONE with it.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 08-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
Been my favorite truck i remember out 4x4 with my dad in the 72 when i was little

Car guys well notice you cruising around doesnt matter if dolled up or fresh from the back 40 shape

Who cares about the keeping up with Jones's crowd

Nuthing like showing off to a tuner kid in my old 4x4 can lay a patch while doing highway speeds
Them Jones'es are knuckleheads, buying all the latest gizmos. I'm not interested in spending triple or more money for something, just because it is the newest or latest thing. We got carpet in our house in the '60s when some people just had to have shag carpet in their house. We got it either cheap or free, because I can assure you that we had no money for fripperies like carpet.

I don't know about highway speeds, but I have a pretty good tune on my old truck, and if there's anything I love, it's getting a hole shot on some kid with a ricer with a four-inch fart can on it. I'll be all the way across the intersection with this behemoth before they go whining on by.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 08-16-2020, 03:30 AM   #18
Richard

I grew up riding in these trucks. My first vehicle was a 72 truck. Everything about them gives me pleasant memories. My dad liked his 68 and loved his 72. Think of him every time I get behind the wheel. Though he would probably give me his opinions about what what I did to it Cannot wait to get it on the road again.
Richard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:12 AM   #19
BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
All the "hey I like your truck!" thumbs up and comments I get while driving it around town.
Seems every time I take it to town I get a complement on it from somebody.

Or someone coming towards me on a two lane highway sticks their arm out the window and gives me a thumbs up, even a guy on a Harley gave me a thumbs up yesterday!

That never gets old!

Other day a friend had to shell out $1400 for a shop to replace his water pump on his new fangled VW something or other.

Whats a small block water pump cost?

Maybe fifty bucks or so from O'Riley's and an hour or two with a 9 1/6" wrench?

HA!

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

The best thing about owning my 67-72s is that I haven't had to change what I have been doing since I was 18 in '73. It's been a life of 67-72s for me, not a hobby. "Get with what's good and stick with it" is what I was told by the old-timers. I still wear Redwing boots and 501 Levis, too! (although the Levi's ain't so good anymore)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-16-2020 at 08:39 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #21
Seanext

I have a 71 4X4 long bed that is light olive and white with a hugger orange bed. It has a 350, auto, with NP205, running on 33's. When I drive it I can look down and see the road go by. I am the third owner, and until me it spent all of its life on a farm. I use it to take the trash off, run to the lumber yard, or when ever I need to haul something. It never fails someone either give me the thumbs up, "nice truck", "my Dad had one of those", or my favorite "man I love that truck how much you want for it". I always say the same thing "if you have to ask how much you can't afford it". It has never let me down, cranks everytime and gets me where I am going and back in that 70's style. I have thought about rebuilding it, but that would take it off the road for a year or so and just not something that i want to do right now.
Attached Images

Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #22
Peanut74

Mine isn't on the road yet but its the fact I'm building it with my own two hands.

I lasted two days at home after retiring before my wife told me, "You need to find something to do outside". Now she complains that I spend to much for parts for the '67.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #23
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Driving a bit of family history.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #24
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

It's mine is the best thing....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #25
Boog
laying low

Glen Campbell sang it best. "I love my truck".
It's like a best friend or best old dog.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote