The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Do you use a Music "streaming" service?

so I finally started buying music on Amazon Music and it sucks, so I am just wondering what you all are using YouTube Music, Apple Music, Pandora etc.?

I'm in my late 40s so I still prefer CDs but sometimes especially while quarantined you want to catch up on some artists right quick so you want that album now, that's why I finally bit the bullet

what upsets me about Amazon and it's not just with their Music "app" but it goes for their Video as well is that although I am a Prime customer and fork out my yearly fee, they still want me to rent or buy movies in order to watch them, that is highway robbery, same goes for their Music app 90% of the stuff I want to listen to I have to upgrade to their stupid "Unlimited" plan at an additional $8 bucks per month, so you end up paying $96 per year to own a $12 album

anyway that's my rant and wanted to share and put the feelers out there for your opinions
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
Custom 68

Re: Do you use a Music "streaming" service?

I just use the one one included with Amazon Prime. Its pretty simple and I am already paying for the Prime so it works for me.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
I just use the one one included with Amazon Prime. Its pretty simple and I am already paying for the Prime so it works for me.Dave
I do the same. I have no music at all downloaded on any of my devices.

But ... I seldom listen to music, I mostly listen to podcasts via apple podcast, or my subscription podcast channel Podcast One.

And as long as I'm rambling ... I listen to a lot of Audio Books via my library system where all the books are free.

I forgot the name of the subscription audio service a lot of people use, I never use it because no matter how I look at it I cant understand the value. Seems way over priced for what you can listen to. I get the same stuff for free via the library system.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

I use Spotify almost daily. My sister and I both started using it several years ago, and then Spotify came out with a Family Plan thingy that is less per month than two regular subscriptions and you can have up to 6 accounts on it. It's been well worth the money for us considering how much my sister and I use it.
Not every song in the world is on there, but pretty much all that I enjoy listening to is on there, so I'm happy with it

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
Low Elco

Family Plan on Spotify, Love it. I generally have music playing (blasting) all the time.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
hooperca

We also use mostly Spotify. Why? Because my 21 year son said so! I’m 61 and technologically challenged so I rely on him to help out the old guy. Honestly, I have no complaints. It kind of learns what you listen to and you can build playlists from it. Hear some new stuff, some good, some not but...different. I like it.
hooperca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I am so far behind the technology curve it ain't funny. My only music is the free stuff from Pandora. I don't listen very often, and usually only when the missus is in the shower..... so I can crank it up without bothering her. No complaints from the neighbors yet.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
MikeinNH

I have Sirius, Amazon Prime and the free Pandora. My favorite is Pandora even though it has commercials on the free one, I bought it for a bit but free is good enough. What I like about it is I have built seeded stations using the genre I want. For example I have a "Police" station that I seeded with those sort of bands from the 80's. I also have a Jazz one, a couple Christmas etc. I have the app on my phone and our Roku. If you dislike the type of song it starts swaying towards you hit the thumbs down and you don't here that one anymore. Thumbs up and it makes the algorithm towards that music. Now that I've used the station for awhile I rarely need to thumbs down anything.
Projects: 71 C10 going on 04 Tahoe chassis * 67 IH 1200B Pickup mostly original w/ ext rust repair * 41 Buick Super 8 4 Door all original * 52 IH L-110 Panel Van getting S10 motor * 73 Datsun 620 Pickup all original
MikeinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Spotify here. Mostly no complaints. I could do with out the blm/Politically motivated content suggested content but that’s just me.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #10
NorCalC20LWB

Another for Spotify free, it's on in my office right now, Clint Black Radio. Can't beat the price.....
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #11
Custom 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I do the same. I have no music at all downloaded on any of my devices.

But ... I seldom listen to music, I mostly listen to podcasts via apple podcast, or my subscription podcast channel Podcast One.

And as long as I'm rambling ... I listen to a lot of Audio Books via my library system where all the books are free.

I forgot the name of the subscription audio service a lot of people use, I never use it because no matter how I look at it I cant understand the value. Seems way over priced for what you can listen to. I get the same stuff for free via the library system.
I do the podcast thing as well tons of free stuff to listen to. Some is good and I do enjoy it. My wife uses the library thing as well the one she uses is called Libby by OverDrive. It is free and she likes it. Sometimes it is slow on getting the book she wants to "check out"
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:44 AM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I have Pandora. Only because my wife put it on my phone. I had no idea what it was until she called me an idiot and showed me. Now I listen to it all the time. It's okay.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
mrtoni

So l greatly improved my pandora experience by clicking the “deep cuts” option. Now I don’t hear the same songs all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I have Pandora. Only because my wife put it on my phone. I had no idea what it was until she called me an idiot and showed me. Now I listen to it all the time. It's okay.
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Gregski
Post Whore

wow thank you all for your replies, as far as Pandora my good pal is convinced no matter what channel on there you listen to it is only a matter of 7 songs before you hear Eminem, ha ha
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #15
MikeinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
wow thank you all for your replies, as far as Pandora my good pal is convinced no matter what channel on there you listen to it is only a matter of 7 songs before you hear Eminem, ha ha
Ha ha, that would get a thumbs down pretty quickly.
Projects: 71 C10 going on 04 Tahoe chassis * 67 IH 1200B Pickup mostly original w/ ext rust repair * 41 Buick Super 8 4 Door all original * 52 IH L-110 Panel Van getting S10 motor * 73 Datsun 620 Pickup all original
MikeinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #16
67C10Step

My kids got us on a family plan with Spotify a few years ago. No real complaints. I drive a lot for work in non Covid times so I also have Sirius radio in my truck. Mainly for the old time radio programs though I do listen to a number of music channels.

If you are into audio books there is Audible but I think it’s too expensive. I found an app on iPhone called LibriVox a few years ago and have listened to hundreds of hours of books on there but you have to enjoy classics. Call of the Wild, King Solomans Mines, Treasure Island, Sherlock Holmes, and a host of others. What I found was I liked a lot stuff from Jack London, H Ryder Haggard and other old authors that wrote classics.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #17
Boog
laying low

I don't know anything about "streaming". I have Yanni going on you tube while I read these forums. And no purchase or subscription.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #18
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I am so far behind the technology curve it ain't funny. My only music is the free stuff from Pandora. I don't listen very often, and usually only when the missus is in the shower..... so I can crank it up without bothering her. No complaints from the neighbors yet.
I listen to "Twice Pipes and a Camshaft" while I'm going down the road.
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #19
shifty
Questionable

Spotify with family plan. Got 5 bodies in the house who like music and everyone gets their own account. They're not offering anything much more than what others are offering, but their team does a killer job with keeping their app up to date, it's easy to build radio stations from a single song, they dig deep and have lots of albums to play on-demand, and the radio algorithm is usually really good at figuring out songs.

I was hardcore Pandora for years back when you couldn't pick a song to play at-will. I gave it up because Spotify let you hear whole albums. I haven't gone back.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #20
blazer2007

Is it a app. I,m always Leary about apps. They collect info don,t they
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #21
REDROCKER652002

I use both Pandora and Amazon music. I like both for different reasons. But, I have tured into my father and now listen to a lot of AM talk Radio. Damn, sucks getting old. LOL
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #22
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Pandora, spotify and iheartradio
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
I do the podcast thing as well tons of free stuff to listen to. Some is good and I do enjoy it. My wife uses the library thing as well the one she uses is called Libby by OverDrive. It is free and she likes it. Sometimes it is slow on getting the book she wants to "check out"
Dave
I also use Libby to listen to my audio library checks outs and occasional reads when the audio version isn't available.

I only listen/read non fiction books and I have a pretty decent pipeline going at all times, that way I can always have something going while waiting for the others I want to become available.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #24
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNH View Post
...My favorite is Pandora ...
Pandora. Along with the features MikeinNH mentioned, the channels you create use a very good algorithm for choosing titles based on the music. It'll churn out a short set of songs in the same key, then move to the another key for the next short set all the while sticking within an overriding set of parameters that keep the title selections within the proper musical relationships established during channel setup. I have no doubt, although I've not tested it, that those key changes between groups of songs follow a pattern that is pleasing to the senses!

This is a good primer on how Pandora chooses tracks...pretty interesting:
https://computer.howstuffworks.com/i...cs/pandora.htm

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:42 PM   #25
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I listen to free Iheartradio at least 45 to 50 hours a week no complaints.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote