The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2023, 10:25 PM   #1
vardenafil

are the radiator sizes for 350sbc and 454bbc the same?

Im having issues with overheating at stop and go traffic. I just bought a new thermostat and am planning on flushing the radiator out. the radiator looks really old so im thninking i may need to replace it. will a radiator from a truck with a 454 fit the location for a stock 350 truck? i found a few 454 trucks at a local pull a part.
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 12:51 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: are the radiator sizes for 350sbc and 454bbc the same?

You will need not only the radiator but also the upper and lower mounts along with the shroud. I would grab the fan assembly also
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
396ci

The 454 was never offered in the 67-72 trucks so if you get a 454 radiator it will be a 73 and up which have different dimensions. Make sure you get a 4 row (or equivalent aluminum one if that's your preference) from the 67-72 era and like kwmech stated you will need to change the upper and lower radiator mounts from the 3 core to the 4 core which are a little longer.
1974 Chevy Crew Cab Shorty
396ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 11:43 AM   #4
sauxs

On chevelles.com website, there's treasure trove of information on getting a bbc to run cool and a lot of the same things would also relate to a sbc. One gentleman, I think his last name is Wheaton(?) makes the argument about timing, fan positioning, what fan to use, fan clutch, shroud, coolant mixture, thermostat and other things.

I was having issues cooling a bbc in a 67 Camaro. I did the things he suggested and now I have no problem cooling a 489 bbc, that was dyno'd at 623hp.
A lot of things go into keeping the engine running cool.

In my situation, it was better (cheaper) to look at everything rather than just throwing parts at the issue.

Just a thought..
sauxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:37 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauxs View Post
On chevelles.com website, there's treasure trove of information on getting a bbc to run cool and a lot of the same things would also relate to a sbc. One gentleman, I think his last name is Wheaton(?) makes the argument about timing, fan positioning, what fan to use, fan clutch, shroud, coolant mixture, thermostat and other things.

I was having issues cooling a bbc in a 67 Camaro. I did the things he suggested and now I have no problem cooling a 489 bbc, that was dyno'd at 623hp.

In my situation, it was better (cheaper) to look at everything rather than just throwing parts at the issue.

Just a thought..
Yup to all that! It didn't run hot from the factory, I hope.

As for a replacement radiator, Cold Case makes a 2-row aluminum radiator that bolted right into my truck. It came with AC, so had a 4-row brass radiator already. Cold Case assures me that that radiator will cool all the way to 500 CI engines. I asked in case I decided to improve my pulling power by going bigger than the 400 BBC that's already in there.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauxs View Post

Just a thought..
I wonder if that "Wheaton" dude is the race car driver. The name sounds about right, but as I recall, he posts on Camaro. Anyway, the guy really knows his stuff, and he's very detailed.

If the OP should run with an original replacement, best of luck to you I dropped four into my rebuild, could have been five, I'm real good at replacing these One drop was temporary for a trial fit on new tran cooler lines, wasn't about to make it permanent, sounded like a maraca. First two came from Summit, followed by Speedway...........Run.

I ended up with what's supposed to be a great quality US radiator. I can say they're built heavy, perhaps more than original. They look exactly right, real nice finish, and they fit exactly right too, with one caveat. The filler in the last one they sent was installed wrong, the cap's ear barely scrapes the top radiator bracket.

First US radiator fit perfectly, but it leaked. They acted surprised, and really, I was too. They were *(&^)^ the filler was installed wrong, said they'd send another produced by the A-team, but I didn't pursue it. This one doesn't leak, and after doing this 3.5 times already............

To do over again, might serve someone well if a local can build one. I found a place 30 miles from me, after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Yup to all that! It didn't run hot from the factory, I hope.

As for a replacement radiator, Cold Case makes a 2-row aluminum radiator that bolted right into my truck. It came with AC, so had a 4-row brass radiator already. Cold Case assures me that that radiator will cool all the way to 500 CI engines. I asked in case I decided to improve my pulling power by going bigger than the 400 BBC that's already in there.
Interesting. That come with heater hose and coolant tank ports, and do the tran cooler lines and OEM shroud fit? Oh and brackets too? That's a lot of questions, sorry.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-09-2023 at 03:25 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:00 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I wonder if that "Wheaton" dude is the race car driver. The name sounds about right, but as I recall, he posts on Camaro. Anyway, the guy really knows his stuff, and he's very detailed.

If the OP should run with an original replacement, best of luck to you I dropped four into my rebuild, could have been five, I'm real good at replacing these One drop was temporary for a trial fit on new tran cooler lines, wasn't about to make it permanent, sounded like a maraca. First two came from Summit, followed by Speedway...........Run.

I ended up with what's supposed to be a great quality US radiator. I can say they're built heavy, perhaps more than original. They look exactly right, real nice finish, and they fit exactly right too, with one caveat. The filler in the last one they sent was installed wrong, the cap's ear barely scrapes the top radiator bracket.

First US radiator fit perfectly, but it leaked. They acted surprised, and really, I was too. They were *(&^)^ the filler was installed wrong, said they'd send another produced by the A-team, but I didn't pursue it. This one doesn't leak, and after doing this 3.5 times already............

To do over again, might serve someone well if a local can build one. I found a place 30 miles from me, after the fact.

Interesting. That come with heater hose and coolant tank ports, and do the tran cooler lines and OEM shroud fit? Oh and brackets too? That's a lot of questions, sorry.
No heater hose fitting. I don't know what you mean by coolant tank port, unless you mean the overflow hose nipple. Trans cooler lines fit right up, and the tank sizes are the same as the factory 4-row. It fit right in.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-09-2023, 05:47 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
No heater hose fitting. I don't know what you mean by coolant tank port, unless you mean the overflow hose nipple. Trans cooler lines fit right up, and the tank sizes are the same as the factory 4-row. It fit right in.
Yeah, overflow nipple.

Can always run the 3/4 heater hose to the water pump instead of the radiator. Sounds real good, thank you.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:56 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Yeah, overflow nipple.

Can always run the 3/4 heater hose to the water pump instead of the radiator. Sounds real good, thank you.
You are quite welcome!

Simi Valley, CA