The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
leftylou

Truck cranks but won’t start then starts right up an hour or so later

My truck has been starting right up for since I got it running but recently things have changed. When I initially try it cranks but will not start after 5 or so tries letting it crank for a few seconds each time. If I come back an hour or so later it starts right up. What would you check first?
Posted via Mobile Device
leftylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Truck cranks but won’t start then starts right up an hour or so later

If you have points ignition make sure that the yellow wire from the "R" terminal on the starter to the coil has good connections.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Check for 12 volts at the plus terminal on the coil. Both before cranking and during cranking.
If you have 12 volts then check for spark at 2 spark plugs.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #4
guyryan100

I was thinking fuel filter. You either don't have a spark or don't have gas, right?
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
leftylou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Check for 12 volts at the plus terminal on the coil. Both before cranking and during cranking.
If you have 12 volts then check for spark at 2 spark plugs.
I’ll check that tomorrow. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2022, 10:56 PM   #6
leftylou

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyryan100 View Post
I was thinking fuel filter. You either don't have a spark or don't have gas, right?
That was my thought too but I have a fuel pressure gauge and I am seeing 6 pounds of pressure after the filter. It seems like this would rule out a clogged filter. Do you agree with that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2022, 12:20 AM   #7
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftylou View Post
That was my thought too but I have a fuel pressure gauge and I am seeing 6 pounds of pressure after the filter. It seems like this would rule out a clogged filter. Do you agree with that?
Posted via Mobile Device
6 PSI is too much you should be 3-4 PSI. That could possibly be the culprit.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:27 AM   #8
franken

The OP probably needs to think and possibly search the internet about what's needed to make an engine run.
Then they need to think about how to test and troubleshoot those things.
Then do the tests.

Asking people to give WAGs about what the issue is, generally winds up with the OP replacing random parts and wasting time, money and resulting in frustration.

Also, posting almost no info about the situation doesn't help.
If someone wants to deal with an old vehicle, they need to learn about how they work, get some tools, and think, as well as research. After 30 years, pretty much any question that can be asked, will be answered in a second by an internet search. Many answers will be incorrect, just as the responses here are.

Last edited by franken; 09-16-2022 at 12:33 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:37 AM   #9
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
The OP probably needs to think and possibly search the internet about what's needed to make an engine run.
Then do the tests.

Asking people to give WAGs about what the issue is, generally winds up with the OP replacing random parts and wasting time, money and resulting in frustration.

If someone wants to deal with an old vehicle, they need to learn about how they work, get some tools, and think, as well as research. After 30 years, pretty much any question that can be asked, will be answered in a second by an internet search. Many answers will be incorrect, just as the responses here are.
FYI,,,I only give.. SWAGS.. Scientific Wild A** Guess's
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:32 AM   #10
leftylou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
6 PSI is too much you should be 3-4 PSI. That could possibly be the culprit.
I have an edelbrock carburetor. This is edelbrocks recomended psi. Maybe I should have added that detail to the post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2022, 05:42 AM   #11
leftylou

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Then do the tests.

I have a general understanding of how an engine works. I have also done some searching to try to find my problem but have not been successful. For example I considered a clogged filter but I am getting good fuel pressure so that seemed to eliminate that. I also checked my alternator and battery which test good. I thought that the fact that it will crank but not start only to start right up an hour later was enough info to start with. I thought the whole point of a forum like this was to ask questions when you were unable to find the answer yourself. If any question can be answered by an internet search why does this forum exist?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #12
MARKDTN

So to run an engine needs fuel and spark. When the problem occurs do you have spark? If you have an HEI it could be the module for example. Could be fuel pressure as discussed. Could be the starter is too slow when it's hot. Could be a lot of things. You can fire the parts cannon at it and probably eventually fix it, or you can be systematic and figure out why it's doing what it's doing. My .02

First thing I would want to know is if it has spark when it won't start. Then you can focus on the fuel or spark side with further diagnostics.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:50 AM   #13
Grumpy old man

The forum exists to share information on our Chevy/GMC trucks , There are lots of guys in here that actually want to help out and will given all the information based on your questions , I had to go thru your past posts just to find out what you have and what you've done to it lately that may have caused this issue your now having . Not posting what engine/ trans even what year your truck is leaves people guessing what may be the problem , So in other words you'll get responses that may not have anything to do specifically with your truck . You just replaced the carb does it have a manual or automatic Choke , Are you just jumping in and turning the key, for how long ? or do you depress the gas pedal a couple times before you turn the key ? ( old school ) to allow the auto choke to set ? Posting a picture of the engine can answer a LOT of questions related to your problem ,Even better would be a short video of what the truck sounds like and allows the guys to get a better view of whats really going on . If it starts fine an hour after trying the first start , I think your problem is your starting procedure and not the truck it's self . Don't get frustrated just post as much information about your problem when you post your questions , A picture posted with your qestion always helps you get good advice .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 09-16-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #14
leftylou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
The forum exists to share information on our Chevy/GMC trucks , There are lots of guys in here that actually want to help out and will given all the information based on your questions , I had to go thru your past posts just to find out what you have and what you've done to it lately that may have caused this issue your now having . Not posting what engine/ trans even what year your truck is leaves people guessing what may be the problem , So in other words you'll get responses that may not have anything to do specifically with your truck . You just replaced the carb does it have a manual or automatic Choke , Are you just jumping in and turning the key, for how long ? or do you depress the gas pedal a couple times before you turn the key ? ( old school ) to allow the auto choke to set ? Posting a picture of the engine can answer a LOT of questions related to your problem ,Even better would be a short video of what the truck sounds like and allows the guys to get a better view of whats really going on . If it starts fine an hour after trying the first start , I think your problem is your starting procedure and not the truck it's self . Don't get frustrated just post as much information about your problem when you post your questions , A picture posted with your qestion always helps you get good advice .
Thanks Grumpy I appreciate the constructive criticism of my original post. Here is all theninfo I have along with a couple of pictures of the motor. I have a 1970 c10 that I bought about 8 months ago. It has a small block 400 with a th350 transmission, as far as I can tell the engine is stock. It has the original heads and intake anyway. It has a points distributor and a carter afb carburetor with a manual choke, I know I said edelbrock but as far as I know the afb is the same as the Edelbrock performer. It’s not a new carburetor, it was on the truck when I bought it. When I bought the truck the fuel tank was in the bed. I installed the tank, fuel lines and new fuel filter and got it started pretty quickly. Since then the starter and alternator have been changed. I also replaced the coil since the old one tested out of spec and added a pressure regulator and gauge. The truck doesn’t get driven yet but I try to start it a couple of times a week. Until recently iI would have to crank it a bit, I assume because the fuel had evaporated from the carburetor but after about 2 cranks it would start right up. One day I tried to start it and it wouldn’t start I cranked it 6 or 7 times but it just wouldn’t start. A couple of hours later I got my son to come turn it over so I could see what was happening fuel pressure wise then I was going to check my spark. He turned the key and it started right up. Since then that has been the pattern. I thought maybe a clogged fuel filter but I am getting good pressure so that seems to indicate something else, maybe I’m wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by leftylou; 09-16-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:48 AM   #15
Getter-Done

Flip for ya

Name:  t123.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  t1234.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  71.6 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #16
Grumpy old man

The first thing I would do is get rid of that small air cleaner it's not doing you any favors other than possibly making the truck run rich . second thing is the next time you go to start it ,BEFORE you turn the key or step on the gas pedal remove the aircleaner and check the position of the choke plate , it should be open , then step on the gas pedal and check it again . I don't see a manual choke cable ? Your poblem isn't electrical if it starts after sitting for an hour , I think your flooding it , Mis adjusted choke , too small of an air cleaner , too much fuel pressure , it's a fuel issue . post a picture of both sides of the carb .

These old engines don't like to be started and ran for just a few minutes , you'll end up fouling plugs always allow them to reach operating temps will save you issues down the road .

you need 3 things for ignition
Fuel - ? too much or too little ?
spark - it starts after 1 hour
compression - it's turning over

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...waAvIuEALw_wcB

Old 09-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #17
Grumpy old man

One of the best "low buck" upgrades you can do for your truck will be to switch over to an HEI distributor and wires , Easier starting , better running overall a good idea . I ran points ignition for many many years , unless it's a factory stock truck build I'd toss them .
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2022, 01:11 PM   #18
LNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftylou View Post
I have an edelbrock carburetor. This is edelbrocks recomended psi. Maybe I should have added that detail to the post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Heres a link to a fuel pressure chart in accordance to carb manufacturer. I always run 6psi to my carbs and never have a issue. I do run Holleys though and the manufacturer spec for them is 5.5-7.5 Your Edelbock has a max pressure of 6.5. I would turn it down to 5-5.5 myself.

I didnt see a electric choke so it should be manual then. But then I didnt see a choke cable either. How are you working the choke?

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #19
CC69Rat

Turn your FPR to 4 PSI and try it.

Is it leaking gas out of any of the linkage ports, or anywhere it shouldn't be?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:54 PM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

You have a Carter AFB with a manual choke. If it's the 600 CFM unit, it could be a 9635S.
That's what I have on a 350 in a '71 Jimmy. Great carb.
For tuning purposes, I consider it an ''Edelbrock Performer 1405.'' You can call Edelbrock's 800 # Tech Line, and talk with an adviser. [Just don't tell him it's a Carter -- he'll clam up.]
The carb numbers are stamped into the 'foot' of one of the carb corners.
Obtain the Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Owners Manual. [Free] The book has charts and graphs and tables that list what parts -- i.e. Jets and Metering Rods, that can be obtained to put your carb in the right ballpark.
AFB means Aluminum Four Barrel. The Series is 9600. -35 = Chevy applications. You will have to research what Carter model numbers correspond to Edelbrock numbers. Usually it's done by CFM comparison.

EDIT. I just found out 9 = 9000 Series performance carbs, and 635 = the CFM. S = assembled unit.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-17-2022 at 07:55 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:36 AM   #21
LNP

Just realized I didnt post the link I mentioned.

https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...my-new-carb%3F

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #22
schovil69

Hey Leftylou,

What you're going through with your pickup sounds quite familiar to me. Pickup was hard to start and a complete crap shoot when warm. First stop was a new carb which appeared to have the desired result. Interesting how the wrong solution works for a short period of time. Then one day there was no getting it started. Replaced the starter switch and fuel pump to no avail. The culprit turned out to be a wire that was broken in half but the two halves were not separated enough to cause issue. Then one day I guess they work apart enough for the pickup to never start.

It was the wire going to the coil for a points distributor and the break was located right in the middle of that wire loom going across the top of the firewall.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #23
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Hey leftylou - seems we are neighbors!

Great suggestions from the guys, I'd say Grumpy's suggestion on points is spot on and then schovil69 post is a very good one too (gremlins in wiring is a bit*ch to even realize). Between old points setup and possible dodgy wire(s) you could be falling into a random electrical (spark) problem.

I have a "spare" full-on Pertronix Distributor and I think coil (I think I kept it). I am happy to loan this setup to you (though you'd need new wires and deal with the resistor wire). I keep it on the shelf if my fancy Progression Ignition dies on me.

Edit: I forgot I have this extra air cleaner setup - I changed it out with a better one (you clean/oil it). You can have it, assuming it fits (I have a Quadrajet). I also see I put a coil in with the box of the distributor. You can just PM me if you wanted to follow up. Though the distributor would be just "on loan".
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 09-20-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote