The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2023, 07:29 PM   #1
Afishinado

Gas tank move?

I'm a snowbird, so this winter while I'm in Florida I am having my bench seat redone (foam & OEM style vinyl). Having rockers replaced, gutter refinished, one door repaired, all the rubber in and around the doors replaced. Having the antenna hole, a spot light & rotary beacon hole filled. There are a few very minor dents, and that's it. I'll get it painted next winter. Only other improvement will be power disc brakes. Happy with the 292 & 4spd.
Sorry for getting long winded description..
So... If I have gas tank moved, will I pick up any space to slide the seat back farther? Otherwise I don't see it worthwhile.
Afishinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
Rods

Re: Gas tank move?

No, you will not gain any more room.

The seat back will touch the cab with the tank still behind it.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:55 PM   #3
68 C10 Driver

But by moving the tank out of the cab you will gain some extra storage area behind the seat. It also eliminates the gas smell, and increases safety.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 10:07 PM   #4
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
But by moving the tank out of the cab you will gain some extra storage area behind the seat. It also eliminates the gas smell, and increases safety.
If you smell gas you have a leak. It's a lot cheaper to just fix the leak.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 12:04 AM   #5
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
if you smell gas you have a leak. It's a lot cheaper to just fix the leak.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #6
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishinado View Post
I'm a snowbird, so this winter while I'm in Florida I am having my bench seat redone (foam & OEM style vinyl). Having rockers replaced, gutter refinished, one door repaired, all the rubber in and around the doors replaced. Having the antenna hole, a spot light & rotary beacon hole filled. There are a few very minor dents, and that's it. I'll get it painted next winter. Only other improvement will be power disc brakes. Happy with the 292 & 4spd.
Sorry for getting long winded description..
So... If I have gas tank moved, will I pick up any space to slide the seat back farther? Otherwise I don't see it worthwhile.
Sounds like your getting ready to go down the same road I've been. I just sent you a PM. I'm no longer going to Florida for the winter, but did for 17 years. Depending as to where you go I may be able to put you in touch with a couple of junk yards to visit.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:10 AM   #7
Afishinado

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Sounds like your getting ready to go down the same road I've been. I just sent you a PM. I'm no longer going to Florida for the winter, but did for 17 years. Depending as to where you go I may be able to put you in touch with a couple of junk yards to visit.
Thanks... But whatever I do have done, will be with new parts. I'm 72 and wrenching days are minimal! BTW: I've had it two years, drive it nearly every day in the summer at least 6 miles sometimes 20.. and the only thing I did was have a new exhaust system installed the day I got it, and a annual oil change.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:15 AM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Belly tanks are for sissies. I had a '67 Suburban, and I have a '71 Jimmy. A behind the seat tank never has any fuel flow issues. It's as safe in the Cab as your body is. Force great enough to rupture the tank would also be fatal for the driver, so it's a false sense of security for added fuel problems. The in-cab tank holds 22 gallons. Belly tanks hardly hold 20. I had to add a Holley electric fuel pump to the Suburban. The fuel sender in my Jimmy is unreachable, due to at least 48 bolts holding a steel shield under it. Not keen on slicing thru the back deck with a cutting wheel on a grinder so close to the belly tank to get to it. So I just log my miles and fuel intake, and use dead reckoning.

BTW, I like the orange truck in your avatar. I have a '68 Chevy C/10 Stepside in 516 Orange, with a 292 L6 and SM465 4-speed. I changed the original cab tank for another that was cleaned, in 1999, when the gasoline formula changed to no lead, and the ''new'' fuel solution was dissolving tank bottom sediments that were getting into my carb. l also had a chewed up filler neck from muscle-f@#!ing a lost-keyed locking gas cap.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:28 AM   #9
Afishinado

Thanks folks. I'm going to leave the tank 'as is where is' just like it's been for 54 years. Works for me. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
If you smell gas you have a leak. It's a lot cheaper to just fix the leak.
100% agreed