The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2023, 05:27 PM   #1
zac

A/C Refurbish

My ‘79 K20 had factory air conditioning, but many of the parts were stripped before I bought it 14 years ago. It’s just a driver that I use for truck stuff. I would like to have a/c, especially after this summer, but I don’t want to turn it into one of those going down the rabbit hole projects.

The whole air box under the dash is gone, and somebody replaced it with some creatively bent roofing tin (!?). I have access to an ‘87 R10 with the whole system intact and in good condition except the condensor. My engine is enough of a Frankenstein that I figure I would use a new Sanden compressor with modified or homemade brackets, which is no problem. I would get a new condensor and evaporator, probably lines as well. How about the accumulator?

Somebody will probably think I should just go with an aftermarket set up, but I’m unlikely to go there. I will stick close to the factory set up or not at all. Just looking for any input or thoughts. I’ve searched through the numerous threads on this already, but people seem to be all over the place. I’m assuming the stuff from an ‘87 will be close enough, but maybe not.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:08 AM   #2
raidmagic

Re: A/C Refurbish

Any reason not to go aftermarket? All new parts, easy to install. By the time you buy all the stuff you want you will probably be half way there cost wise and have old parts.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:43 AM   #3
zac

Old and set in my ways. Bought my first aftermarket parts in 1981 and have been avoiding it ever since. I’m restoring an OEM gas tank for my ‘70 burb because the repops fit so poorly. There’s only one place I can stand to buy patch panels. These companies come and go, GM has always been there.

I converted a couple late ‘70’s Cads 15+ years ago, so I’m sure I can work my way through it. But I’ve never worked on the A/C on these trucks and just wondering about any tricks, tips or nuances people know about.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:23 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

I think some of the Sanden comps come with already made bracket kits for Chevy motors. I have been looking at replacing my shot OEM type compressor with a Sanden.
For some years(maybe all) there is a special bit of tubing that goes through the core radiator support to connect the condenser coil to the hosing on the engine side.

The fact your 79 had factory air means all the holes are there already. Plus your donor vehicle makes the 'need to buy' parts count a lot less.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:38 AM   #5
zac

Thanks, the Sanden always seems to be the one people recommend, those old torpedo A6s didn’t seem to do great with 134, at least on my Caddies. The bracket may or or may not be an issue because I have Vortec heads and an Edelbrock 7116 intake. All parts that hold refrigerant will be replaced, I learned my lesson there. I will probably take the accumulator though, just because it’s there. I don’t see this being particularly costly, just a hassle like everything. I will double check the core support. That was replaced several years ago.