The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Green67Stepper

new to the forum: '67 stepside build

I've been dreaming about starting this build since I was a little kid and it has finally happened. This was my grandfather's truck that he bought back in '78 for my uncle to take to college at The University of Tennessee. It has been in our family since then and garage kept since I can remember. It was originally a baby blue color but my grandfather had it all re-done back in '97. I've got all the maintenance records and it's been well taken care of as well.

Specs:
1967 Chevrolet C10
250 i6
3-speed on the column
No AC
No Power brakes
Small window
Step side bed

When my grandfather had it and when we took newborn pics of my son.

To make a long story short, my grandfather got sick and had to sell his cars. Without me knowing one guy bought them all to then resell them. He keep the C10 to start a project of his own, but when he found out I wanted it, he sold it back to me at cost. He only had it 2-3 weeks and never even titled it. All he had done was change the wheels/tires, lower it, clean the fuel system and rebuild the carb. The coils need to be replaced though cause the guy that did it just heated the factory ones so it rides like ****. Because the rear is trailing arms/coils the trac bar needs to be replaced, because now it's out of alignment since it's been lowered.

Rear tire rubbing frame due to trac bar

I don't have any concrete plans yet, but it's going to be a LONG build. I know I want to completely re-do the suspension. More than likely an LS swap of some sort, just need to work through that as well. 4 wheel disc brakes. Then obviously tons of paint and body work.

In the short term, I'm going to just replace all the coils and shocks and get it riding better. Then just drive it for a while and enjoy it. I'm hoping to re-stain the bed floor this winter too.

So far I've ordered:

CPP adjustable trac bar
New clear parking lens
New reverse lens
License plate lens ( had been painted over since '97)
New smaller factory style side mirrors

As it sits now

I need a bigger garage...
Green67Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Green67Stepper

Re: new to the forum: '67 stepside build

Got the track bar in, it was a huge PITA. 50 years worth of grease and rust suck.

Clear Parking lights
[/

I was in my first car show a few weekends back. Definitely a lot of fun and a lot of motivation to keep working On this thing.

I'm really starting to love the look and style of the 250 i6. I really want to get it cleaned up and really running good and reliable. its burning oil right now and needs some modern improvements like HEI, etc. ANY info and tips would be much appreciated. i'm here to learn.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Xeen

Welcome to the board.
What a great truck and the family history is a bonus, you are a lucky guy.
It sounds like to me that the motor is in need a of a rebuild and for what it would cost to rebuild it you are better off doing as LS Gen III 5.3/4L60E swap.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
ultrahd4me

Welcome from Gallatin. I also love the look and simplicity of the inline 6, and have had a few in different trucks. One tip for you, look around any old boat and marine service centers or salvage yards. The 190hp Mercruiser is a GM 250 inline six with a better crank and cam. They also came with factory ribbed style valve and side covers. Here is a few pics from a couple of my old trucks.
Attached Images

ultrahd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
NoNeck

Welcome from just down the road. Nice truck, and great story. This is the place to get answers to all those C10 questions.

A word of advice... I would get those front springs replaced before I drove the truck too much. Especially if your son in the truck with you. Once the coils have been heated the metal becomes extremely brittle and subject to failure (break). Some people will tell you "Don't worry about those springs... I heat 'em like that all the time."

Plus, you sacrifice ride quality and handling.

POP

Just my 2¢...

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
Green67Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrahd4me View Post
Welcome from Gallatin. I also love the look and simplicity of the inline 6, and have had a few in different trucks. One tip for you, look around any old boat and marine service centers or salvage yards. The 190hp Mercruiser is a GM 250 inline six with a better crank and cam. They also came with factory ribbed style valve and side covers. Here is a few pics from a couple of my old trucks.
Thanks!! Those motors look awesome. I really want to get mine like that. I may have a lot of questions for you in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Welcome to the board.
What a great truck and the family history is a bonus, you are a lucky guy.
It sounds like to me that the motor is in need a of a rebuild and for what it would cost to rebuild it you are better off doing as LS Gen III 5.3/4L60E swap.
Thanks, we will see once I get into learning his motor some more. I don't have the cash right now to do an LS swap so I'm hoping this 250 has a lot more life left and can de reliable for a few years at least. I know my grandfather had it rebuilt back in the late 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
Welcome from just down the road. Nice truck, and great story. This is the place to get answers to all those C10 questions.

A word of advice... I would get those front springs replaced before I drove the truck too much. Especially if your son in the truck with you. Once the coils have been heated the metal becomes extremely brittle and subject to failure (break). Some people will tell you "Don't worry about those springs... I heat 'em like that all the time."

Plus, you sacrifice ride quality and handling.

POP

Just my 2¢...
Coils/Shocks are by far first on the list, hopefully this winter. The front it sitting on the bump stops now and rides like a dump truck.... I think I'm going to go with CPPs 3/5 kit.

One question, I want to do an oil change soon just for piece of mind. Any specific oil brand/weight I should use for an old motor like the 250?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:14 AM   #7
swamp rat

Nice truck!! Yea them coils look pretty bad. LOL!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Green67Stepper

for those that havent seen my other thread, ( http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=687992 ) i ordered and installed a new HEI distributor a few weeks ago. i pretty much have it all set and running good, just need to set the timing exactly with the help of my neighbor sometime soon.

Today i placed my order with CPP to get alot of the suspension replaced. I ordered the following:

CPP 3" front drop coils
CPP 5" rear drop coils
CPP rear C-Notch
CPP rear coil spring retainers
CPP rear shock relocators
CPP front shock reinforcement brackets
CPP front and rear shocks

Also going to order new ball joints from Rock Auto while i have it all torn apart.

This should really help improve the ride over the current torched coils. once i start mowing yards again in the Spring, i'm going to order their Modular drop spindles and power disc brake kit.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Rod Run

Almost all of my build's suspension parts came from CPP and I couldn't be happier with how they've worked out. They've also been very helpful when I've called with questions

Good luck
Old 12-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
tucker69

Welcome to the board, I too am fairly new to this site.. there is a ton of info on here. if you have a question, chances are if you spend some time searching you will find some help. Also I have found most everyone on here are very helpful and will do whatever they can to assist you. Me, I want a v-8, I have had many older car/trucks with the straight 6 but, prefer more power. It's your truck and your project, build it the way you want it. As someone said earlier you could do a ls swap fairly cheap and would not be unhappy with the performance, but, then it not original anymore.....Hey, great story, great truck and can't go wrong with stepper....
tucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #11
Green67Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
Almost all of my build's suspension parts came from CPP and I couldn't be happier with how they've worked out. They've also been very helpful when I've called with questions

Good luck
Good to know. They were very good to me so far too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker69 View Post
Welcome to the board, I too am fairly new to this site.. there is a ton of info on here. if you have a question, chances are if you spend some time searching you will find some help. Also I have found most everyone on here are very helpful and will do whatever they can to assist you. Me, I want a v-8, I have had many older car/trucks with the straight 6 but, prefer more power. It's your truck and your project, build it the way you want it. As someone said earlier you could do a ls swap fairly cheap and would not be unhappy with the performance, but, then it not original anymore.....Hey, great story, great truck and can't go wrong with stepper....
Thanks! Yea, this has been one of the most nice and helpful forums that I have been a part of before. I've decided to go the LS swap route eventually when the funds allow, hopefully 2-3 years tops. Until then, just gonna try and keep the I6 running as good as possible.

I played around with the truck a little bit today. Had a cone air filter laying around so a made it work on the carb and got ride of the Skippy peanut butter can lid. It's not permanent, but I kinda like the look for now.

Also got some new tools for Christmas

Old 01-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
54belair

Nice looking project, looks like a very decent truck to start with. I Also agree on ditching the heated coils (I know we've all done it, and they may last for years---but they are dangerous and will (WILL) break eventually. Lowering springs are cheap anyway. Mine were heated and looked fine, when I changed them out I saw some metal fatigue .

My 54 chevy is currently sitting in the shop with that very problem----a broken Heated front spring
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
Green67Stepper

finally got alot of my engin cleanup/maintenance complete and i think it really cleaned up the look and hopefully we be better overall. Here i what all i did.

Replaced PCV valve and grommet
Replaced Points-style Distributor with HEI Distributor
Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Plug Wires
Replaced Temp Sensor
Replaced Oil Pressure Sensor
Re-wired main underhood harness
Replaced positive battery cable
Replaced Pump to Carb Fuel line
Eliminated inline fuel filter and replaced Carb fuel filter
New Air cleaner gasket
Oil and filter change

When I got it

When i finished last night
Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #14
swamp rat

Nice work, stay motivated!

I know its a personal preference thing but i would highly recommend an inline fuel filter be it ether before or after the fuel pump, cheap insurance, the filter in the carb is small, a truck this age will if it hasn't already start having problems with rust inside the fuel tank or the pickup tube sock filter will start to degrade, rust or sock fibers this will eventually get past the pump and to the carb.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 01-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
Green67Stepper

thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Nice work, stay motivated!

I know its a personal preference thing but i would highly recommend an inline fuel filter be it ether before or after the fuel pump, cheap insurance, the filter in the carb is small, a truck this age will if it hasn't already start having problems with rust inside the fuel tank or the pickup tube sock filter will start to degrade, rust or sock fibers this will eventually get past the pump and to the carb.
Yea, i thought about that too after the fact. i think i will put one right before the pump on the frame rail, so its out of sight.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #16
darkhorse970

Nice truck! I'm in.

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #17
cooperhw

Good looking rig and family. Welcome to the club. Very cool you got your Grandpa's truck back. guy did you a solid. (Other than the hillbilly lowering job)
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #18
Green67Stepper

FINALLY my CPP order came in after a month of waiting, so i couldnt wait to get started.

I got the driver side done last night. I have never worked on a suspension that was so easy to do. It only took me about an hour to get the one side done, all with hand tools. I'm really exicted to see how much better it rides.

New vs Old

Driver side done
Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
Green67Stepper

Local Cars and Coffee meet last weekend.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
54belair

Nice Job!!! Looks good.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:17 AM   #21
swamp rat

Man that spring..... LOL!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #22
Green67Stepper

Valentines Day gift from the Wife.

Chrome Moon Caps
Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #23
slowcpe

Cool looking truck. I bet it rides a whole lot better with the new suspension.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #24
Mcmour67

Awesome story, glad you got it back. Love that green. I'll be watching as I just started my 67 stepside. Cant wait to see it done!
Mcmour67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
Green67Stepper

Well i got to work all day saturday on the truck and got the rear all completed.

Installed new CPP 5" drop coils, CPP drop shocks and shock relocation brackets, CPP C-notch. ( i had already previously installed CPP trac bar)

I also got the urge to replace the muffler with something that would give me a little sound. You could barely hear it idle before. I picked up a Cherry Bomb glasspack from Auto Zone and put a turn down on it. It was only $25 so i wasnt too worried if it sounded bad, but i actually am really pleased with it. Gives the truck a good mellow sound, but not too loud or obnoxious at all.

new vs old

new coils and shocks mounted

notch installed

new glasspack, you can see where the old muffler rubbed the driveshaft too.

back on the ground with the new hub caps. fenders are at 30 up front and 30.5 out back. Should be pretty level, but tires are 235's up front and 265's out back.