The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
72peace

Will a spray-on bedliner de-value my truck?

Ok guys, I've heard arguments for and against spray-on bedliners. I've been thinking about getting my 72 Cheyenne longbed sprayed with some colormatching line-x, when a friend of mine says it will devalue my truck, so now I have doubts. There are a few bumps and dents as well as some surface rust in the bed. Should I try to restore the bed or just line-x it? Here's what I have: Also I just replaced the tailgate don't have new photos yet.
Attached Images

72peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Re: Will a spray-on bedliner de-value my truck?

It's your truck, do as you wish. Unless your truck is 100% factory original and looks like it did the day it rolled out of the factory, I would have a liner sprayed in it. Thats just my opinion, others will come and they may vary.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
It's your truck, do as you wish. Unless your truck is 100% factory original and looks like it did the day it rolled out of the factory, I would have a liner sprayed in it. Thats just my opinion, others will come and they may vary.
But...if I was buying a truck for show and go the answer is I would not buy a truck with a spray in bed liner. But...if I was buying a DD and work truck than it would make me no differance. As Bishop Trucks said...its your truck. Do what best meets your needs. Good Luck. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
I was buying a truck for show and go the answer is I would not buy a truck with a spray in bed liner. But...if I was buying a DD and work truck than it would make me no differance.
Agreed.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I wouldn't do it, unless you were going to keep it and haul firewood with it. Clean it up and hit it with some krylon.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I wouldn't do it either. It's a good way to protect the bed but only if you intend to do some dirt, gravel, rock and other type of hauling and never intend to sell it.

I Sprayed Rustoleum on the bottom of my 68 and haul lumber, garden stuff including bricks and it still looks decent. I do use garage floor rubber tiles I bought at Lowes to place under the concrete products.

I've seen some ads "for want to buy" trucks that say "no spray on liner on the bed." Also, I talked to a few guys around here that had theirs lined since I was considering doing it on my truck but changed my mind after talking to them.

Here's another one. If you do intend to haul I've read where people absolutely oppose a non spray bedliner product but I've had one on one my other trucks and removed it sometime back. I saw none of the rust damage (other than some paint wear off) that has been mentioned by some. I will say that a bedliner is not for everyone though. Too slippery.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 06-29-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: left out "non spray"
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Gene

It's your truck, do as you wish. I just don't see a line-x type bedliner hurting the value of the truck. I chose to have mine sprayed because it had light pitting all over the front of the bed floor, and I planned on a liner anyways so instead of having my paint guy smooth out the bed I just had him prep it and spray the liner, it hides alot of minor dents and pitting.
Attached Images

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
TheSeeker

I like the look of the color matched bedliner! I use my truck for hauling and would like to go this route, can you give some details on where/how much it cost to get it color matched? Thanks
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
72peace

So, apparantly I'm not the only one with doubts. The line-x guy quoted $450 then an additional $200 to color match then another $100 to go over the rail, so $750 total. My paint guy quoted around $1500 to clean up and shoot the bed. I'm concerned about spending $750 if my value will drop $1000 (just a guess), so I'm out $1750. But if I go with the paint guy it would add value and I might break even. Still on the rail, so to speak.

Last edited by 72peace; 06-29-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
I like the look of the color matched bedliner! I use my truck for hauling and would like to go this route, can you give some details on where/how much it cost to get it color matched? Thanks
I dont know how much a line-x dealer would charge, I had mine done at the paint shop and basically it was a freebie.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I wouldn't do it either. It's a good way to protect the bed but only if you intend to do some dirt, gravel, rock and other type of hauling and never intend to sell it.

I Sprayed Rustoleum on the bottom of my 68 and haul lumber, garden stuff including bricks and it still looks decent. I do use garage floor rubber tiles I bought at Lowes to place under the concrete products.

I've seen some ads "for want to buy" trucks that say "no spray on liner on the bed." Also, I talked to a few guys around here that had theirs lined since I was considering doing it on my truck but changed my mind after talking to them.

Here's another one. If you do intend to haul I've read where people absolutely oppose a non spray bedliner product but I've had one on one my other trucks and removed it sometime back. I saw none of the rust damage (other than some paint wear off) that has been mentioned by some. I will say that a bedliner is not for everyone though. Too slippery.
That slippery factor is easily solved with a rubber mat. Also the protection you get with the liner and rubber mat combo is pretty amazing. Even with LineX i use a rubber mat and couldn't imagine not having it.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
72peace

Quote:

Of those that had theirs lined what were their complaints?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
treveiger

^^^^ that's nice, seen a lot of guys at car shows doing this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
71 super

If I see anice truck that has a spray in liner I automatically suspect a hard life or rotten bed or some combo of both. Neither is appealing to me. I will get famed but in my opinion it is a bandaid to keep from fixing correctly. With that said I just bought a 2006 hd with a spray liner in it- it is garbage, bed was not preped correctly and it is pealing off in sections- looks like crap, but now need to figure out how to get this visual abortion off...
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
If I see anice truck that has a spray in liner I automatically suspect a hard life or rotten bed or some combo of both. Neither is appealing to me. I will get famed but in my opinion it is a bandaid to keep from fixing correctly. With that said I just bought a 2006 hd with a spray liner in it- it is garbage, bed was not preped correctly and it is pealing off in sections- looks like crap, but now need to figure out how to get this visual abortion off...
It can be a band aid, but in my case I planned on having a bedliner sprayed in anyways because I like the looks of the color matched ones. My bed was not perfect, but it was not a basket case either. I would have spent twice as much having the bed smoothed competely and to me that made no sense. I dont plan on hauling anything major but if I ever wanted to i'm happy to know I wont have to worry about scratching it, after all it is still a truck.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
FrankieD

I would second the rubber mat you can drop something in it and not damage the bed and then you still have the choice to paint it later if you want to make it a non hauler.

Mine has some dings amd dents on it so I am doing something different I got 4 sheets of heavy gauge brushed S S 9’ X 4’ for free from work and I have a friend at a fab shop with a big shear I am going to do the bed floor, tail gate and bulk head.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

im putting a electric hard tonn. cover on mine i think i just rhino cover the bed since it would be cover and out of site

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
That slippery factor is easily solved with a rubber mat. Also the protection you get with the liner and rubber mat combo is pretty amazing. Even with LineX i use a rubber mat and couldn't imagine not having it.
Thanks. Local Tractor Supply sells a thick mat over here. I guess I'm going to see if I can use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72peace View Post
Of those that had theirs lined what were their complaints?
Peeling and cracking on a couple, fading on others. One guy hauls mineral blocks (rancher) and noticed a rust bubble had formed under the liner. Probably hairline crack and salt getting under it. It wasn't all one sided, I might add. Some guys liked them. One guy bought a truck with it on and didn't like it because he thought it cheapened the truck. That last one was the one that convinced me not to do it.

I'm not knocking anyone for doing it or wanting to do it, it's just not for me on my old trucks.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Thanks. Local Tractor Supply sells a thick mat over here. I guess I'm going to see if I can use
None of those fit these trucks. I had to order a 72 x 98 universal thta made for the older pickups and cut to fit
Posted via Mobile Device

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
70cst

A bed mat for a 73 and up fits pretty good. Thats what I use

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #21
longhorn70gmc

I am currently doing a spray in liner with my Longhorn and so far I am liking it. It is cost affective and if I do damage the coating I can reapair it myself. Also, as I do the spray in liner the bed is getting new bed wood. The bed wood is pine and has been preped and painted with quality marine/outdoor friendly paint done up in a black moteef. I live in the desert with extreme heat, so I want simple with good elements protection. A pretty bed like you normally see would be nice, but for me and where I live is not a good choice. It comes down to what you like and if you do sell it the new owner can easly remove it with sanding. I wouldn't think it would devalue your truck unless the coating was severly damaged and never touched up before the sale. Good thread, I am glad you asked this question.
R/

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #22
Spoof

If I was buying a truck I would be happier to have one without spray bedliner, so yes it would devalue the truck to me.
I just don't like the stuff...a nice steel bed looks great.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
k2rm

I had linux sprayed on mine about two years ago. No issues and I love it. Although people consider my truck show quality, I still use it for fun and light hauling. It is a truck afterall. Just two weeks ago we took it on a scuba/camping trip. I am glad I don't have to worry about scuba tanks or other toys scratching my freshly painted truck bed. I also have a pace edwards full metal jacket roll up cover.

Do I care about value? Nope, not planning on selling it ever. Been in the family since new and it is treated like it is part of the family.
Attached Images

Last edited by k2rm; 06-29-2011 at 05:49 PM.
k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
lil hoodlum

I don't really have an opinion either way.

What would you think if only the bed floor had the spray-on bedliner. In other words, the tailgate, bedsides, wheel wells, and front bed panel were painted as normal?

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #25
crm318
Alright Alright Alright

Is there a way to remove the bedliner later on?
GM Performance high rise intake,
Comp 268H .454/.454 218/218 110 LSA
Quadrajet carb, Flowtech headers, 2.25 40 series
HEI, Curve kit, TH 350, 3.07 gears
275/60/15s on 15x8 rallies
crm318 is offline   Reply With Quote