The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which One?
Red '68 2 4.65%
Black '69 15 34.88%
You're bat crap crazy, I wouldn't buy either.... 26 60.47%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
danheit

Please help me decide between these two trucks...

OK, so I have been scouring Craigslist, bugging everyone I know, using all my back alley contacts, and have come up with two decent "projects". Both trucks have rust. Neither has a motor or trans. Red one is in better shape (has a little less rust) and I have been talking to this guy about it for several weeks now. It's 4.5 hrs away. Black one I just got a line on yesterday, came from VA, has more rust, especially in the windshield area on the inside than the red one, has rust at the bottom of the front fenders, some in the bed, needs floor pans and rockers. As you see though, a lot more is there with the black one than the red one. Both are the same price, Black one is 3 hrs away. What are the opinions here? Red truck is a 68, black is a 69. Both have clear titles.

Both Trucks are $500

Black one has rust in firewall, guy said that the lip is pretty well missing on pass side and he can move the firewall by pushing on it.

Sorry for lots of red pics and only one black pic, but that's what I've got.

Now, the 69

1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
dfwright

Re: Please help me decide between these two trucks...

Where's the "BOTH" option?

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I'd pass on both, unless I needed a parts truck.

There are many trucks available in running condition for $1,000 bucks. Patience grasshopper... one will come your way.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
LakeAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I'd pass on both, unless I needed a parts truck.

There are many trucks available in running condition for $1,000 bucks. Patience grasshopper... one will come your way.

Gary
I wish I could find one here in Virginia for a grand (that would drive away..)

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
danheit

GAS, while I'm all for patience, I can say that around here they don't come running for 1000. Also, if the $$ sits in the bank, it will end up getting absorbed into the family budget. Gotta get spent now, or p'd away later.
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
GAS, while I'm all for patience, I can say that around here they don't come running for 1000. Also, if the $$ sits in the bank, it will end up getting absorbed into the family budget. Gotta get spent now, or p'd away later.
give the money to someone you trust to hold it for you kinda like a savings that you dont see burning a hole in your pocket itching to spend.

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

That's why you put it in a seperate account, like a savings account. My dad and I recently had this conversation, he's bought so many $500-1000 pos project vehicles that if he had just saved up and held out, he could have had a COUPLE super nice running toys (he's bought a lot of crap projects...) Those $500 trucks are going to cost you thousands each to get safe and road worthy...

I really wish I could buy this one, but with 3 classics, 2 dailys, and a work truck... I have too many now as it is. It's down in Greenwood, well, I guess "up" for you.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3556797204.html

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Those $500 trucks are going to cost you thousands each to get safe and road worthy...
This man speaks the truth. You will have way more into them in the long run. I know money might be tight, and you're chomping at the bit. But personally... I'd wait. But that's me...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
That's why you put it in a seperate account, like a savings account. My dad and I recently had this conversation, he's bought so many $500-1000 pos project vehicles that if he had just saved up and held out, he could have had a COUPLE super nice running toys (he's bought a lot of crap projects...) Those $500 trucks are going to cost you thousands each to get safe and road worthy...

I really wish I could buy this one, but with 3 classics, 2 dailys, and a work truck... I have too many now as it is. It's down in Greenwood, well, I guess "up" for you.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3556797204.html

So true. I know a LOT of cats who have a half dozen piles of junk that have been "waiting" to get restored for years. All that money spent on wishful thinking could have easily been used to buy one NICE running truck that can be tinkered with as it is driven.

I too would pass on both of those trucks and wait for something better to come along. You could save up some cash, fly out to the west coast and drive a nice truck back (if you are up for an adventure and a road trip) or as someone suggested, have a local boardmember check it out for you and get it shipped.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
danheit

Well, I have a budget of 2500 and already have a drivetrain, so if you know of a better one, please pass it on!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well, I have a budget of 2500 and already have a drivetrain, so if you know of a better one, please pass it on!
There are nice trucks around here for less than 2k. You could have one of us check it out in person, and if it pans out, you'd have some money left to have it shipped
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
cubber

Wait on something worth buying. I don't think either one of those trucks has $500 worth of useable parts. I would put the money in my sock drawer or something if I had to. If you buy one of those, you will most likely end up with a stripped frame in your garage, and a pile of rusty panels you can't use. You would be better off to find just a frame for a couple hundred bucks, and get your suspension built and drivetrain in while you put together some good quality sheet metal. Just my opinion, don't mean to be negative.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
70c10stepside

Buy something you can actually drive, or you'll get sick of it in no time lol And, it'll just sit. If I were you, I'd look a little harder and get something better. Those are not $500 trucks. Thats 500 dollar scrap metal Just to get them to see the road, will be a lot. Even if you have a drivetrain.
70c10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
SS Tim

Keep looking and find something a lot better. If your 'driveline" is turn key you should have no problem finding a good roller. To buy a stripped down truck and put parts back on it is not going to save you money. Buy the best most complete truck you can afford even if it means holding off on mods and wheels you "want" to have.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
danheit

Guys, this is all sound advice. My biggest issue here is that everyone suggest I hold off and save up for a nicer truck. There is no saving up. My truck money is what it is, nothing gets added to it. Only when I sell a toy and make a profit do I end up with more than I started with. I'm a single income household (police officer so I don't make much) with 2 kids in private school, mortgage, car payment, and more. All of my bills get paid, but I am essentially a paycheck to paycheck guy, like so many others out there. Saving is not an option, especially saving for hobbies and toys. Anything saved would go towards our actual "savings". That being said, I am leaning more towards the black truck, DEPENDING on the amt. of rust. For me, rust around the drip rail and the windshield frame is a deal breaker. Anything else I can fix. I am not looking for a show truck, just a driver. I have a JY across the hwy from me that has 5 72's, all with rust around the drip rails and windshield frame, but good firewalls, so that's an easy cut and replace. Rockers floors and corners I expect. It all depends on how it looks as a whole, but I'm feeling better about the 69 after sleeping a little on it. Today, we shall see!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
SS Tim

I can understand wanting to have a truck in hand but those two are just this side of junkyard refugees. It is going to take a lot of money that is not in your budget to bring them up to a driver level. If your powertrain is a drop in and drive that is a small consideration and one better reserved for an intact but engineless/dying engine project.

We are not exactly saying wait until the money is gone on other expenses, but to to make a smart informed purchase that gives you the best return on your money. Most of us have purchased projects with great intentions that are un or underfunded.

Now here are three quick pick trucks from the board classifieds that represent possible paths and likely reasonable purchases to consider. As you can see they all need a little and the cheapest needs a fair amount of rust repair, but it is a running driving truck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...b-a-2ft&cat=12

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...968-c10&cat=12

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...2-owner&cat=12
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Guys, this is all sound advice. My biggest issue here is that everyone suggest I hold off and save up for a nicer truck. There is no saving up. My truck money is what it is, nothing gets added to it. Only when I sell a toy and make a profit do I end up with more than I started with. I'm a single income household (police officer so I don't make much) with 2 kids in private school, mortgage, car payment, and more. All of my bills get paid, but I am essentially a paycheck to paycheck guy, like so many others out there. Saving is not an option, especially saving for hobbies and toys. Anything saved would go towards our actual "savings". That being said, I am leaning more towards the black truck, DEPENDING on the amt. of rust. For me, rust around the drip rail and the windshield frame is a deal breaker. Anything else I can fix. I am not looking for a show truck, just a driver. I have a JY across the hwy from me that has 5 72's, all with rust around the drip rails and windshield frame, but good firewalls, so that's an easy cut and replace. Rockers floors and corners I expect. It all depends on how it looks as a whole, but I'm feeling better about the 69 after sleeping a little on it. Today, we shall see!
I didn't suggest you hold off and save up. It sounded like your budget is $2,500. I suggested you find one for under $2,000 and then have one of us look at it and if it pans out, you can spend the rest of your budget (up to $2,500) on shipping. I wouldn't drive it back, if it is over 500 miles away. You could have some surprise repairs that could cost you money to fix right then so you can make it home

A few I found after a quick search

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/345824?ad_cid=9

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/250996?ad_cid=8

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/83321?ad_cid=11

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Mister-B; 02-15-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
steelhorse

Bud hit craigslist for all the surrounding counties and NC. I have been looking and have seen some decent vehicles in the $2000 dollar range that will save you money in the long run. Hell the scrapyard I just left had better trucks(no jokeing).
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
CC69Rat

I know where a really SOLID 71 GMC Sierra / CST is right now for $2200 (if he still has it) It is a LWB, BUT .. the cab and mounts etc are prestine. You could always cab swap it, or cut it down if you wanted a SWB, etc. Dark green, Green custom int. 350 3OTT.

I'll check with him if you're interested. You could drive this one home.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
leddzepp

If there isn't goin to be any more money coming in, I wouldn't buy a toy (truck in this case) cause they take money to maintain. What will you do when something breaks or needs fixing or replacing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
Longhorn 70

Take that $1000 to Vegas.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

If that's all there is, where's the money for patch panels, engine, trans going to come from? Unless you've got cinder blocks and a love for yard art, I don't see the point.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
danheit

Ok, so screw you guys and all of your infinite wisdom about waiting and looking for something better! (I found one so much better). I dug a little harder on CL and found a great long bed driver about an hour and twenty from my house. Sitting at the bank waiting on him to show up with a title. 71 original A/C cab 350/350 VERY minor rust! Pics to follow shortly! Thanks for talking some sense into me!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
SS Tim

Quote:
Ok, so screw you guys and all of your infinite wisdom ...
Would you like you crow grilled or southern fried? :-)
Pictures are of course required at this point.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Glad to hear. Of course pix will be required ASAP.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote