The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
tincan1966

Daily Driver '65 LWB

Since a recent "inventory reduction sale" I have been without a daily driver/shop truck. My machine shop guy had this one sitting out back, so we struck a deal. Brought it home Saturday 2/9.
Seems very solid, cab mounts/floor all in good shape. exterior body not too bad, no plans on any changes for now.
Did some mild clean up underhood, a quick coat of rattle black and in with the engine- a 1991 Chev TBI 305. Installing a TH350C lock up trans. Using parts I had laying around. Keeping fuel injection since I had and extra painless harness. Converting original sender to in tank pump.
Suspension and brakes have already been done. I will upgrade to PS and a dual master cyl.
Project goal -- 4 weeks(mostly evenings and weekends) and around $1500 total investment.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Daily Driver '65 LWB

I agree it looks pretty solid from here. Keep up the good work!!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
tincan1966

Update: TBI wiring is almost complete, just a few details left. Repaired minor issues with main wiring harness under dash- amazingly not hacked too bad by previous owners.Installed "Check Engine" light in previous choke cable location, mounted ALDL connector under dash, mocked up B&M Z gate shifter for now. Trans got dropped off last night, will reseal it and install it today, and hopefully add exhaust(decided to use donor car manifolds and utilize the OEM Y pipe from the Olds for now to save $$$$.
Planning on firing it up by the weekend IF radiator arrives by then. Still have the electric fan circuit to build up and some cleanup of the wiring, but it's getting close.
Will post more pics tonight.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
tincan1966

Side Note- making in tank fuel pump wasn't going too well- the pump will not fit thru the OEM sender hole. So.... making the OE sender the return line from the TBI since it is 5/16" and retain the stock sender. Making new fuel pump assy and drilling a 2" hole in tank next to sender with 3/8 line. sounds simple enough...LOL Pics posted tonight.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Narxoleptic Customs

Good plan!! Keep it up, and we look forward to pix.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
tincan1966

No real photo ops today. Installed trans, fabbed crossmember. Installed headers(the plan to use the donor car manifolds didn't work out. Added O2 sensor bung to passenger side collector)had to modify drivers' side motor mount stand slightly. Finished EFI wiring. Removed clutch pedal and linkage, installed new brake light switch, replaced ignition switch. My 'assistant" disassembled, cleaned, sanded and repainted the heater assy. She is also learning and helping with the electrical. Will have something to take pics of tomorrow, for sure, will document the fuel pump fab.

Remaining items to finish: Make driveshaft front half w/ TH350 yoke- need to shorten about 8'
Finish shifter install
Install radiator/fan assy
Fuel pump pick up assy

So far on track to fire this thing up Saturday. IF all goes well, this is a one week build.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
tincan1966

OK this'll get me in trouble, but here's the 'assistant' in the booth painting parts for me. She's quite the help and does very well all by herself. tells me she's 'practicing and learning" on mine so she'll be ready to do her own. LOL!

We picked a Brushed Nickle color for the grill and other items. Yes it's a rattle can, but it IS a daily driver. And besides, neither of us like the blue/black combo.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
flips72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
OK this'll get me in trouble, but here's the 'assistant' in the booth painting parts for me. She's quite the help and does very well all by herself. tells me she's 'practicing and learning" on mine so she'll be ready to do her own. LOL!

We picked a Brushed Nickle color for the grill and other items. Yes it's a rattle can, but it IS a daily driver. And besides, neither of us like the blue/black combo.
just wondering what hers is going to be?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post

We did the same thing on my GMC I painted it the medium fawn metalic like the interior (shiny not flattened) I have not seen another like it until yours.

In the booth http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...K6PK7&lb=1&s=A

on the truck:

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...9rbKX&lb=1&s=A
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
tincan1966

Update- had to take a few days off due to bad weather,bad attitutde, cold and flu season etc,etc. Also have a '66 SWB BBW CC of a friends I am repairing some wiring on.

Fuel sender/pump in complete, tank back in. Still in original location for now, but will move out back later. Wiring harness for EFI is getting close to being tucked in nicley to look better. Finally got my new temp sender(two post type) and relocated the oil pressure sender/sensor for header clearance. Picked up donor steering column for parts to repair broken/missing pieces. Will change out to tilt w/shifter during PS conversion.
More updates,pics later today hopefully
Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
flips72

solid truck,like the fact its a dailey driver, just wondering what brand of fuel pump and do you think its going to be very noisey in the cab wth you?sounds like its going to be a sweet ride.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
tincan1966

I used an Airtex replacement pump for the car I got the engine from(1991 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon) I will post pics of my modified tank and sender assy.
As far as noise I installed the muffler sleeve that comes with the pump, I also covered the back of the cab with some 5/16" high density foam sheeting. I also added a layer of the foam to both sides of the tank. No doubt I will have some noise, but this setup is merely temporary, as I will be installing a rear mount tank later. My main goal is to have this truck on the road in under 4 weeks and for less than $1500. This whole project is being done mostly with leftover parts.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
tincan1966

Here's a couple more pics from what progress we've made so far. Still only got 3-4 days time in this. Routed the wiring for the EFI thru a hole below the blower motor wire, so with the heater box in place, should hide pretty well. Mounting ECM, relays and fuses behind glove box. Decided to convert 3 spd column to use for now with the TH350 rather than install the B & M.
Hope to get back in the shop for a while today and make some progress.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
tincan1966

UPDATE 3/4/2013: Got the newly painted grill and bumper on- the girl was right- looks MUCH better!
Posting pics of the modified feul sender/fuel tank mods made for the in tank pump. Also insulated the back of cab and wrapped tank for noise reduction.
Spent most of Saturday building a useable steering column out of three parts and pieces columns.
Making driveshaft today, installing new ignition switch and putting seat back in. Using a B & M Z gate shifter I got new at a garage sale for $40. I hate these but it's what I got for now. Will update to column shift when I do PS convert w/new column.
Most all the wiring is done underhood, still need to mount the ecm and relays behind glove box, but going to wait until test running first.
The "kid" is routing fuel lines and trans cooler lines after school(she picked what she wanted to do).
Hope to make noise by end of the week.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
tincan1966

I few more pics
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
flips72

she was right, looks much better, great progress.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
tincan1966

Alrighty, we finally got to work on the truck some more yesterday. Weather was 82 degrees here. Been away from shop for a couple weeks having carpal tunnel surgery. On the mend now and all is good.

By our calendar,it is officially day 9 on this project(actual working days)
What's done at this point:
Fuel system is done, all lines connected.
TBI harness is done (still need to tidy things up in interior)
Headers and O2 sensor installed
CPP trans crossmember in, driveshaft shortened,balanced,new u-joints and carrier brg
Grille and front bumper cleaned and repainted
Inner fenders and underhood all cleaned and rattle can refurbished
1991 Chevy 305 TBI w/ TH350C trans installed
Total investment so far(not counting the truck) $300 We already had the Painless harness and computer, everything else has been traded for or was extra pieces laying around. $200 of that was for the radiator! LOL

Saturday 3/16/2013 we'll do an electrical test today of all the systems and hopefully a test fire.(no radiator yet- I transposed two numbers and therefore ordered the wrong one)

The beauty of this project is actual the used parts- no new motor to break in, etc. Nothing on the engine was disturbed since pulled from donor(it's been out for less than 60 days), so no adjustments should be necessary to start it. We'll do a full tune up after. I am a firm believer on not making alot of changes at once, that way if there is an issue, you know where to start looking. The steering and brakes on this truck are excellent, having been redone by a PO. So basically, once it fires, check for leaks, we are on the road!

We'll snap a few more pics later, but basically everythng still looks the same.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
tincan1966

It's alive!!
Only ten full working days on this project and it is running. Didn't get a chance to run but for a few minutes, since no radiator, but it all worked on the first attempt. Fuel pump is a bit noisey, but will quiet down with more fuel in the tank, I am sure. Only electrical malfunction is a bad h/l switch. Still need to install a new heater core and wiper motor that were robbed off the truck. Should be driving this week if the trans checks out.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #19
Jeff La

Congrats, how about some pics LOL
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
CRGRS 66

I'm in on this one too tincan, looks good!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
tincan1966

Went ahead an made an adapter plate and installed power steering today. Didn't take pics, since there's already a bunch of threads and they all look the same, LOL!
Removed the steering column for replacement, since have to modify for PS and the upper column was broken. Couldn't see spending a bunch of time repairing a column I was going to remove later anyway.
Recently got the heater control rebuilt with new levers and cables. Just need to install radio and the dash/interior is done for now.
Going to install front drop springs tomorrow.
Hope to be off to exhaust shop by end of the week.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
tincan1966

Got off on a different path today. decided might as well install power brakes while I had the column and everything out of te way.
Again, made my own adapter braket to mount a 1994 Chevy truck booster. For now I am staying with the stock single MC because the brake system works great. Will change MC when the disc upgrade happens.
So I did the usual: drilled a hole in the pedal 1 1/4" lower than original, cut off the '94 end of booster rod, threaded it 3/8NC then bored and tapped a spare rod I had(no idea what it's off of) made a new intermediate rod between booster and MC 1 3/8" longer. All bolted up, pedal adjusted and feels great! Painted the booster w/the brushed nickle rattle can rebuilder.
Nice to have finally spent most of a weekend working in the shop again.
Decided I don't really need a tilt column, so going to build one from the 3 parts columns I have and shorten it 2". More later......
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
tincan1966

Installed tilt column from '94 Chevy truck w/column shift. Had been trying to decide whether to use it or not, and finally committed. Wasn't bad- modified the original lower column mount bracket, redrilled two holes and it is a bolt it. Retained column key and ignition switch and dimmer. The column shift was a different story. The column I had, has the shift lever to the outside or drivers' side of the column, so a direct linkage wasn't possible. I made a bracket to attach to the column, that made a dropped mount for the shifter cable from the B&M I had installed earlier. So now I have column shift. Modified radio opening and installed CD player today.
Installed throttle linkage, using original pedal and rod, after lengthening about 2" and making a 45 degree bend at the firewall end. have lots of pedal travel and works smooth. Will update with new pics tomorrow.
ordered steering u-joints and shaft kit, hope to have here by end of week.
Didn't make it to exhaust shop this week, so still iritating the neighbors!

Going to go ahead and move fuel tank tomorrow, just can't be comfortable with the in cab tank after the wreck we had in the '66 GMC. Will use the original tank, and mount it at the front of the bed for now, until I get a new one for the rear.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
tincan1966

4/22/2013

Lowered front end 2 1/2 inches with a different set of springs.
Moving fuel tank to inside front of bed (temporary)
testing electrical after installing new column.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
tincan1966

Pictures from last few updates: tilt steering from '94 Suburban, My adapter for cable shift to the new steering column, rebuilt steering box I had laying around(originally on my '60 C30, also speaker mount I made. Latest addition was some new wheels I traded for. They are 20 X 8.5" but a little too much backspace on the rear- very close inside of fenderwell so will be installing 1.5" spacers on the rear only.
Attached Images

Closed Thread