The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
gecz28

coe/s10 info/pics. help?

hey everybody, im new to the boards here and was wondering if anyone could me out. im looking at getting a coe and doing the s10 swap.
is it possible to to get a coe on an s10 frame and end up with a 6-7ft bed? ive seen lots of (looks like) 8ft+. ive also seen some with what looks like an add on to the front of the bed, i guess to fill the gap.

can anyone help or have pics??

thanks
mike
gecz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: coe/s10 info/pics. help?

Maybe a C10 (1/2 Ton) but definatley not a s10.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
iowaboynca

Check out 47fasttoys build if you want to see a sweet swap on a COE. He did his on a silverado drivetrain.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=596551
Old 12-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
dsraven

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/56134.htm

try this site for frame dimensions

gmupfitters

try this site for s10 and siverado frame dimensions

s10 is gonna be too small for a coe, in my opinion. too narrow
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
gecz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/56134.htm

try this site for frame dimensions

gmupfitters

try this site for s10 and siverado frame dimensions

s10 is gonna be too small for a coe, in my opinion. too narrow
from what ive seen, the coe frame is 34" wide and the s10 is 40"
ive seen fasttoys, and i like his build a lot. for me i think his front wheels are a bit to wide, id like for them to tuck under the fenders, without air ride.
heres what id like to try and do, just with a shorter bed, but havent been able to find any info on theses trucks tho

Old 12-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
b00sted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecz28 View Post
from what ive seen, the coe frame is 34" wide and the s10 is 40"
ive seen fasttoys, and i like his build a lot. for me i think his front wheels are a bit to wide, id like for them to tuck under the fenders, without air ride.
heres what id like to try and do, just with a shorter bed, but havent been able to find any info on theses trucks tho

This is on ebay for sale. Said it was on a s10 frame. Same truck????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Chevrol...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
3drburb

That will be a lot of weight up front for an S10 frame.
1/2 or 3/4 ton would be a lot better.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
mr48chev

Tread width of an S-10 is far too narrow to work with a COE cab. It's actually too narrow for the 3100 cab but guys run spacers or reverse wheels.

Personally I'd be looking at a 1 ton Chassis with the "real truck" rims so the COE ended up looking like a proper big truck rather than a big truck cab sitting on a car chassis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
joedoh

here is one that came out beautiful. lots of build pictures as I remember.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...b-over-358838/

as a general rule I try to avoid telling someone NOT to do something I havent at least tried. you will get lots of opinions, and lots of those opinions will be from well meaning guys who havent done it. Now if someone has tried it and says dont, that would perk up my ears.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
dsraven

do you have your truck yet?
not sure what shape your cab is in but, before you get it off the original frame and do too much, get it sitting on a flat surface and level it up. doors on, get the hinges rebuilt/adjusted so the doors close good and fit. then tack in some bracing so the cab can't distort when you are messing around with stuff. brace it in an X pattern 2 ways, across the floor and across the back at least. i recommend to brace it from lower A post right to upper A post left and vice versa to make an X. same on the floor, lower a post right to lower B post left. an X won't let the cab move so when you are building mounts etc you don't get something out of whack and then, when you are finishing and fitting doors etc, it is too late.

I think the gm upfitters site will give you all the frame dimensional stuff you need for either an s10 or a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. probably the load capacity as well. if you are just riding around without a load you may get away with an s10, do some weight comparisons for frame loading to see what the front end will actually be expected to carry with the weight of the cab, engine and trans etc, check the load sticker on the s10 door jamb to see what it is rated for, then decide. don't forget that too heavy on the front makes it difficult to get the brake bias set up so you don't always skid the rear wheels trying to stop, or, you may do burn outs constantly when taking off. the rear would also skid out easily on corners. not trying to be a buzz kill, just saying it is good to research some before going in blind. I can tell you I have driven unloaded cab over trucks before and it is an uneasy feeling when the rear skids out on a corner. pm 47fasttoys , he placed his on a 1/2 ton frame, don't know the reasoning, but I think he repositioned the engine to be further back to help remedy the weight distribution? mid engine would be cool for sure. also it will be a challenge to get steering to work i assume. remember universal joints are only made to be used at 7 degrees otherwise the two shafts actually speed up and slow down, when compared to each other, through one rev. could be a bear to steer i suppose.
to weigh the cab you could stop in at a scale with the truck/trailer that you can carry the cab and front end sheet metal from the coe. go empty once and then go with the load to see what a coe cab and front sheet metal actually weighs.
anyway, I have never done one of these and i am just talking through my hat. you probably have spend hours researching so you know what you are getting into. just would hate to see you start and give up part way through, or end up with something that looks cool but is unsafe to drive around.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #11
gecz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
do you have your truck yet?
not sure what shape your cab is in but, before you get it off the original frame and do too much, get it sitting on a flat surface and level it up. doors on, get the hinges rebuilt/adjusted so the doors close good and fit. then tack in some bracing so the cab can't distort when you are messing around with stuff. brace it in an X pattern 2 ways, across the floor and across the back at least. i recommend to brace it from lower A post right to upper A post left and vice versa to make an X. same on the floor, lower a post right to lower B post left. an X won't let the cab move so when you are building mounts etc you don't get something out of whack and then, when you are finishing and fitting doors etc, it is too late.

I think the gm upfitters site will give you all the frame dimensional stuff you need for either an s10 or a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. probably the load capacity as well. if you are just riding around without a load you may get away with an s10, do some weight comparisons for frame loading to see what the front end will actually be expected to carry with the weight of the cab, engine and trans etc, check the load sticker on the s10 door jamb to see what it is rated for, then decide. don't forget that too heavy on the front makes it difficult to get the brake bias set up so you don't always skid the rear wheels trying to stop, or, you may do burn outs constantly when taking off. the rear would also skid out easily on corners. not trying to be a buzz kill, just saying it is good to research some before going in blind. I can tell you I have driven unloaded cab over trucks before and it is an uneasy feeling when the rear skids out on a corner. pm 47fasttoys , he placed his on a 1/2 ton frame, don't know the reasoning, but I think he repositioned the engine to be further back to help remedy the weight distribution? mid engine would be cool for sure. also it will be a challenge to get steering to work i assume. remember universal joints are only made to be used at 7 degrees otherwise the two shafts actually speed up and slow down, when compared to each other, through one rev. could be a bear to steer i suppose.
to weigh the cab you could stop in at a scale with the truck/trailer that you can carry the cab and front end sheet metal from the coe. go empty once and then go with the load to see what a coe cab and front sheet metal actually weighs.
anyway, I have never done one of these and i am just talking through my hat. you probably have spend hours researching so you know what you are getting into. just would hate to see you start and give up part way through, or end up with something that looks cool but is unsafe to drive around.
i actually havent gotten the truck yet. ive been trying to research as much as i can but havent seen anybody post a build like i want to do(short bed). i actually tried to call the guy in the 2nd pic, but he didnt answer, left a message lol.
id might use the truck as a non snow daily driver lol. i may haul some wood or something but nothing huge like concrete or tow a car ect.
i cant see the coe weighing that much more than the s10 front. and the difference in weight would only be like riding around with another person in the truck lol
Old 12-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #12
47 Fasttoys

Well I guess it's time to weigh in on this one. First lets try and figure the weight issue. I have owned both a '54 3100 and a COE (still do). I would guess the total sheet metal package (no bed) is within 100# with the COE being the heavier. Cabs are the same with the COE having modifications in the foot well, fire wall and floor areas. Doors have the corners cut off. A note on doors: a regular cab door can be converted to a COE door, it has been done. Front fenders have a wider mounting point, hood and inner fenders are shorter by about 2 foot, both are also taller by a few inches. Grill bars are the same with wider spacing on the larger truck. The additional weight comes in the step area verses the running board.
Now, weight on the front end of an S-10: If your planning on front engine your looking at around 65% if not more on the front axle. If you run a cast iron SBC or LS slightly behind the axle center line and the cab over that plus insulation (your gonna need a lot of that with an engine below your feet) plus engine cover your looking at around 1800 to 2000# on your front springs. can a S-10 handle that? I know nothing about S-10s. I have seen 2 front engine builds up close and both where very tight in this area. Steering hook up is also a nightmare on front engine location. Now lets say you go mid engine: 6 foot bed? that leaves you with a very short drive shaft, maybe in the 12 inch range.
As others have mentioned front end wheel track is the biggest issue. Wider control arms will solve that but also create issues with steering geometry. After you look at all these additional expenses to make the S-10 chassis work you could buy a 1/2 ton are larger chassis for much less.
The S-10 also has the high kick up in the rear frame area, most of the guys running them on 3100 series have very shallow beds. You want to use it as a truck and a daily driver? Great, I use mine daily and love it. If you want it to sit lower like some of the ones pictured your gonna need to raise the engine a little if it's a static drop.
I'm not trying to tell you it can't be done by any means, it can and has been done. It all comes down to can you do it, and do you have the resources to do it? Do you have a well equipped shop, welding and fabrication skills? Do you have a bit of extra cash? OK, a large sum. If your 50% on these things try something a little more common. If your at 75%, jump in and we will give you advice on how to swim.
If you do go down this road just post up pictures and questions and I will be happy to help.
Rob

P.S. I went mid-engine for engine access, engine heat issues in the cab, weight distribution, clearance issues, steering hook up, 3 person seating, noise, and cool factor.
56K miles and counting.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
dsraven

47fasttoys, since your truck is already completed maybe you could answer these questions for us all here.
if you had to guess, what would the weight on the front end be like compared to a stock 1/2 ton?
if you were to look under the front are the control arms fairly level with the ground, angled down like there is less weight or angled up like there is more weight?
what about the rear, how much do you estimate the deck weighs and how would that compare to the normal weight on a 1/2 ton truck, empty?
how does it ride compared to a normal 1/2 ton. do you feel it hit the suspension snubbers or does it ride like it has too much spring under it for the weight of the front end?
did you go with the long wheel base and beefy deck in order to place more weight bias out back?
do you ever feel like the rear brakes grab too much?
have you done any suspension mods to alleviate any weight bias issues or tire interference problems?
how did you insulate the cab floor for engine noise and heat?

you have done an amazing job of your truck frame transformation. it looks like it was made like that from factory. the way you fabbed the deck also suits the truck. short headache rack, lockers under the deck to make it look lower out back, and the angled area behind the wheels looks good too.