The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Frijolito1988

Better ride for 59 Apache

Hey guys, say you have 1.5k -2k. WHat would be the best way to get these Apaches to feel and ride like a 60s-70s coil truck including disc brakes up front ? Any kits to change from leaf springs to coils ? I know CPP sells disc brakes upfront for about $700 , what about leaf spring conversions ?
Frijolito1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Better ride for 59 Apache

Camaro clip for that budget. It'll ride better than the typical "60's - 70's truck".
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Frijolito1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Camaro clip for that budget. It'll ride better than the typical "60's - 70's truck".
What Gen camaros, 2nd Gen?

Also that would change the front to coils, what about the rear ?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Yes, 2nd gen. Rear axle of a Camaro was a live axle just like our trucks. You might have to flip the axle on the leaf springs to level out the stance.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
buggy5872

For 2K you should be able to do the 2nd gen Camaro and a bolt on 4 bar kit for the rear. Should make it ride good and handle decent.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
dubie

Agreed. For the ebst ride and low bucks a 2nd generation Camaro, Monte Carlo, Firebird or Nova will all make great donor cars for a weld on front clip. And there is a ton of information online for doing this swap.
Here is the thread that has become the gospel of Camaro clip how to's online

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ht=camaro+clip

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Frijolito, IF your biggest concern is an improved ride you don't need to spend the cash to four bar the rear. It'll ride fine with the stock rear end suspended as stock except flipped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Frijolito1988

Quote:
Frijolito, IF your biggest concern is an improved ride you don't need to spend the cash to four bar the rear. It'll ride fine with the stock rear end suspended as stock except flipped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well its a mixture of both. Height but i think more importantly the ride. My dad bough this Apache a few weeks ago and he is going to sell his 67 SWB to recoup the cost as he only wants to have 1 project. But the 67 just rides like butter, its an inline 6 with a muncie 4 speed and its really smooth and when you compare the drive-ability of both of these trucks its just no comparison ( with the Apache in its current state, all stock suspension with the 235 3 on the tree ). So dad wants to get the Apache as smooth as the 67.

Now if we just mess around and put the rear axle under the leafs, wouldn't we need new brakets or do we just flip them around ? Is there something similar that can be done to the front to improve ride and maybe lower it a bit ?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijolito1988 View Post
... Now if we just mess around and put the rear axle under the leafs, wouldn't we need new brakets or do we just flip them around ?
You can't "just mess around" and flip the rear end. The seats that are welded to the axle housing have to be cut off and moved/re welded. You can remove some of the leaves to soften the ride, you can add Teflon between the leaves to smooth out the ride. The axle flip is necessary cause the front clip will substantially lower the front end. Unless you LIKE a severe rake front to rear, you'll want to lower the rear. PS on flipping the rearend to on top of the springs: This will put the axle housings closer to the frame rails. You'll need to C-notch the frame to maintain clearance or "bottoming out" will occur on hard bumps.

Quote:
...Is there something similar that can be done to the front to improve ride and maybe lower it a bit ?
Nothing much will change an I beam front axle to make it similar to a coil spring front end. You could go to mono leafs - I'm not a fan from a safety point of view but many poo poo that concern. You can go to Posies Super Slider springs to both lower and improve the ride. But they're not going to make it ride like IFS does.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
poncho_villa

There is this option but this would kill your budget:
http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/p/9...-plain-package
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, there's that but IF he were going to go with an aftermarket IFS he'd still need to replace or modify his steering column. That's MORE $$.

I still think the clip is the way to get the "mostest-for-the-leastest" on his stated budget. But if he's got fabrication chops or a good buddy with some and willingness to help maybe a Welder Series IFS crossmember & parts?

It's more than the clip but a lot less than aftermarket full IFS setup. Anyone have first hand experience with Welder Series stuff?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Why not just do a complete frame swap with the 60-70s truck if that's the ride you want?
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

That'd work, BUT it takes even more building & fabricating skill than the "clip & flip". Plus as your '57 shows, clip & flip looks EXCELLENT. I've always thought a lot of frame swaps come out looking odd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Mac the Yankee

Clip and flip is the easiest and least expensive route- I bought my '78 Z28 clip for $150 at the local salvage yard

There is alot of good info on the link that dubie shared- if you pay careful attention to JAWS' posts, you'll come up with a clean looking modification!
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
Frijolito1988

Thanks for the replys guys.

Do any of you so cal guys know somebody who can do the cut and re weld of the front end ? I think we can handle the rear end but we just dont want to get the front messed up.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

No Limit Engineering in Riverside will do it for you. Not the cheapest place - that will be an independent guy working out of his garage but you won't know FOR SURE how good he is until he does it. But No Limit has done hundreds if not thousands and you will know it will be done right.

P.S. I'd be interested in finding a guy that would do it well locally too.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #17
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

If you let No limit do it you it will be out of your price range that is for sure. For that price range you will be looking for a home builder type guy. Be careful I've seen some badly installed clips in my time.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
OrrieG

To bad you are not up here, Jay does a great clean job. Has a nice jig and has done enough that you know exactly what you are getting. He will let you take his truck for a ride so you can see how it will feel.

http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/3876272619.html

If it is too expensive down there, it might be worth the travel time to have it down up here. Its a long days drive from central CA to the Boise area thru Winnemucca.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Dan in Pasadena

I WISH there were a guy down here (Bam) that could do a real good job like that (Bam) and that I would trust my baby to (Bam) but all of them (Bam) are too busy (Bam) to take my money (Bam)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
I WISH there were a guy down here (Bam) that could do a real good job like that (Bam) and that I would trust my baby to (Bam) but all of them (Bam) are too busy (Bam) to take my money (Bam)
Why are you mentioning me over and over.lol I thought you did not want IFS? I thought you were one of those straight axle guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
There's a welding artist in California but he needs to get his OWN truck done! Maybe he could do it for some Christmas cash
You would not be talking about me would you? Yeah I need to finish my truck I've been really slacking lately. I hope to get inspired at the Brothers Truck Show.

Quote:
Really appreciate all the responses guys. We are going to the Brothers truck show this week and checking out these trucks in different configurations , taking lots of pics and asking lots of questions LOL.
I will be at the Brothers Truck Show also hope to see you there.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Why are you mentioning me over and over.lol I thought you did not want IFS? I thought you were one of those straight axle guys...
Why yes I was talking about you. How could you tell? Lol

I swing back and forth between a dropped axle on Posie's vs. IFS of SOME kind. I really don't like the idea of kinda/sorta "ok-enough-I-guess" power steering conversions with a straight axle but I also dislike cutting my frame in half or the cost of good IFS (No Limit Wide Ride, Heidts, TCI, yada, yada) PLUS the cost of a tilt column, etc. BUT I'd be willing to consider a clip IF I truly trusted who would do it and not at the price No Limit would charge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Daze57

what ..............are ya try in to say? ^
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
Indian113

There's a welding artist in California but he needs to get his OWN truck done! Maybe he could do it for some Christmas cash
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Frijolito1988

Really appreciate all the responses guys. We are going to the Brothers truck show this week and checking out these trucks in different configurations , taking lots of pics and asking lots of questions LOL.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #25
Frijolito1988

So i saw that Scotts hot rods up in Oxnards sells a complete bolt on ?? WIth coils , disc brakes the whole 9 yards. Anybody know the price for once with power steering , disc brakes for a 59 ?