The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Bowties

1990 GMC Suburban

Hi! I'm new here but hoped to get some advice concerning a 1990 Suburban. To start, a friend is/was the assistant chief of a local fire department here in NC. He decided to go to Iraq as a firefighter trainer and I bought a few of his vehicles since he was going for 4 years and didn't want them to be sitting. The Suburban was at one time the Chiefs vehicle until it developed a rear whine and they retired it and my friend bought it. He never did anything with it, just let it sit in one of the departments bays for 8 months until he "got around to it". Well, I bought it knowing the rear was bad but not exactly sure how bad but hoped for the best. It turned out for the worst having a "nub" broke off on the drivers side of the differential right at the bearing. This caused the whine but one hard kickdown and it seperated causing the ring and pinion to, well, you know

Anyway, after a few months of gathering parts [all new drum to drum, even the drum] I tore into it and rebuilt the whole rear. The old Gov-Lock is gone and an Auburn posi now resides as well as a new GM ring and pinion kit. All new bearings, incuding wheel bearings, etc.., etc... and it's quiet as a church mouse This rig is VERY nice, the SLE model, 5.7 liter fuel injected, OD trans, 4X4, front/rear COLD A/C and 4 nearly new OS tires on factory holed aluminum wheels. The interior is just as clean as the exterior, finished in fire engine red ext [of course] ~originally black~ w/ burgandy cloth inteior w/ the 3rd seat. 146,000 well maintained miles on this exceptional rig and it shows. It's got a new 200 amp alternator and has 2 batteries, done just before the rear end problem nearly a year ago now.

My point for posting here is that I have no use for it. I've driven it 500 miles since the rear rebuild for break in purposes and it's been flawless. I would like to sell it and I'm wondering what it's worth. I thought about eBay since locally [beach, resort area] nothing brings much $. I've got to think a rig this nice should be worth $3,000 but I'm asking for advice. Of course I'd gladly take more [but would negotiate lower if necessary] and I'm looking for the best place to sell it.

THANKS!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
383drvr

IMO, you'd probably do best by painting for sale on the side and driving it around or parking it at Wally mart. Kepp it washed and waxed. eBay doesnt have a great resale market for suburbans that are above par. I watched one CUSTOM tastefully done showburb this spring get a highbid of 7k, half what I thought it was worth. (I still remember it it was so nice). I bought mine for 500 and it only needed a week of elbow grease to get it up to great condition. (I still know I got a good deal).

It doesnt cost anything to drive it with for sale on the windows, I would expect you to find 2500 for it. Where are you? Any rust?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:42 PM   #3
Bowties

Hi! Thanks for your input. Sounds like I'm right in line concerning price. With nearly $1200 in new parts and the condition of this rig it's a bargain for someone. I'm in southeastern coastal NC [Myrtle Beach area]. I really hate selling locally do to the fact that everyone wastes your time. I sold my '85 short bed a few years ago and remember the pain it was. Everybody wanted it but had no $ and wanted to make payments. I finally got my price but it took 3 months. This Suburban is really the same thing already. It gets attention being so nice so everyone asks if it's for sale then they come up with excuses like "well, it only gets what 10 MPG" or "it's 15 years old, worth about $1-1500". With 3:73's it gets about 15 MPG, yes it's not a Honda but why even consider the MPG in a rig like this? I'm not going to give it away either, I don't have to sell it but I would like to. I think for $2500 bucks it's a "steal" and I'd sell it for that if necessary. I'd prefer to sell to the greater masses giving it more exposure and definately less stress. I sold my boat on eBay nearly 2 years ago and it was the most pleasant experience and got top $. I've searched eBay and some rather plain ones with more miles brought $2500 up. This is a super sharp Suburban and it is hunting season Thanks for the advice! I think I'll set it out this weekend in front of my business and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll give eBay a shot.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
88Jimmy4x4

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=burb

Thats a link to a 1990 burb Im bought in August for $2500 talked down from $3000, its not a 4x4 but it should give you a decent comparison for condition.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
Bowties

Thanks! I'd say that's a very comparable vehicle even a bit nicer. What's more desirable, 2WD or 4X4? I'm in the southeast so around here 4X4's are not that desirable. Mines got the overhead console as well and the interior is very nice although I'm not going to say "mint" but I've never seen a 1990 model this clean. It looks nice in red w/ the factory holed wheels on OS white letter tires. I'd post photos but I have no clue how. It'll be out on the main road this weekend to see if I get any takers. I figure I'll start at $3750 leaving room to negotiate but I wont let it go for less than $2500 without too quickly. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
383drvr

What I do on local sales is feel them out on the phone first. I also dont let them test drive without proof of liscence and insurance. I also go along for the ride in the back seat. (so as to be there in case of something, but not to interfere). I've had good luck with local sales, but always prefer eBay. Just whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
Bowties

Well, I sat it out this past weekend. I had many lookers stop by [a tenant next door kept an eye out for me] and a fair share of calls. I met and showed it, including a test drive, to 3 different people. Each of them said how super nice it was but none had the all the $ or had to sell their vehicle first. One wanted to give me $500 cash down and pay the rest within 2-3 weeks but I declined. I HATE this whole process of selling a vehicle. It takes up my time and exposes my vehicle to all sorts of characters whom I have no clue if they could buy a piece of bubble gum. I wont set it out again but it is going to be advertised in a local newspaper through this weekend. I think setting it out attracted dreamers as it does attract attention albeit the wrong attention. I think if someone calls from the ad then they've been looking and will be pleasantly surprised when they see it. I checked into eBay and found out it's about $80 bucks to list it there if it sells or not, too much. I've also been told conflicting info, some say it will do excellent on eBay, others say eBay is a wholesale junk dump ?!? Oh well, we'll see what happens from the newspaper ad.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #8
Bowties

Oh, and how do I post photos here?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #9
88Jimmy4x4

You can allways try www.autotrader.com, I think its $70 but it runs till you sell it no matter how long it takes.

I can post the pics for you here if you wanna email them to me at johnfbakerjr@yahoo.com
Old 11-09-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
Bowties

Thanks for the advice and offer to post photos for me. I've sent you 3 photos, it will give people an idea just how nice this Suburban is even if my photography skills are poor at best
Old 11-09-2004, 02:32 PM   #11
88Jimmy4x4

Thats a clean Burb and looks to be well worth $2500 from these pics.
If someone would buy my 85 I will drive up to you and buy it :p

Old 11-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
Bowties

Thanks for posting the photos! Yes, it is very clean, inside and out and runs just as good as it looks. To me, $2500 is chump change for this Suburban. I'm still not down to that $2500 figure yet. I WILL sell it for that if necessary but I'm holding out for a minimum of $3000 still for a few weeks. So far, no one has even tried to get me to lower the price, they all feel it's worth it [asking $3750.00] apparently. I wish I'd get to the negotiation process but I need someone with $ first The problem is everybody wants it but no one has any $. The one guy had $500 cash in hand and asked me to hold it for a few weeks but that just ties up anyone else who has the $. I'm confident when the right person comes along it will be gone in a flash. The newspaper ads start tomorrow. My current schedule is hectic and that may deter some people trying to arrange a time to meet. I've now got it up at a vacant rental property about a 1/2 hour from my home along with my wife's Porsche, which for the right $ is also for sale $10K and I'll hand over the titles to both.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #13
toms68cst

Boy if you were closer I'd be interesed in that rig.

Around here a Burb in that nice a shape would fetch $3500-$4000 easy. Prices in your neck of the woods for 4X4's might be a little softer.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 PM   #14
bigarmzz

post more pics....of the engine bay area, and the interior......i have a cousin that loves burbs.....and thats a decent price....

no rust at all?...no where?

does it "need" anything?

thanks
-bigarmzz-
klambert@cebridge.net
Old 11-10-2004, 12:20 AM   #15
Bowties

Yes, we're in the sunny south, no snow and no local beach cruising so 4X4's are not in demand nor bring decent $ like in other areas.

More photos? I don't know how to post them and I'm not going to bother 88Jimmy anymore. There's some minor rust behind the drivers side rear wheel right where the exhaust exits. There's of course rusty scale underneath as normal for a 15 year old 4X4. The paint is bright and shiney, about 5 years old and a quality job. It was originally black [with a red middle insert maybe?] now it's all red. The interior is VERY clean, with the 3rd seat, overhead console, etc... The center console cupholder/tray? is missing and the headliner is out getting re-done due to some sagging. The upper dash pad has a crack or two, not bad but it is cracked due to the hot sun here. The engine bay is clean and tidy. I'm not looking to sell it on here and I prefer any potential buyer to see and drive it first. My last attempt would be to list it on eBay with plenty of photos and start it at $1 and let it go to the highest bid.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:46 AM   #16
88Jimmy4x4

Hey if you wanna send me more pics I will be happy to post them, its no problem at all :p
Old 11-11-2004, 08:21 PM   #17
383drvr

Me too. email them to me and I'll be happy to host and/or post them.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #18
Bowties

Heu guys! Due to my hectic schedule I'm normally not available except for Monday-Tuesdays-Wednesdays so sorry for the delay in returning. I placed an add for the Suburban and my wife's Porsche at the same time. I did sell the Porsche the 1st day but only got 1 call, no lookers on the Suburban. It's really a must see and drive vehicle, the Porsche as well but most people know a Porsche is going to be nice I guess. It looks like I'm going to try eBay. I'm trying to figure out the best ending day. I'm told Sunday is the best day to end on? Do you think I'll be taking too much of a risk doing it no reserve or should I reserve it? From past auctions it seems it will bring $3000 minimum but I'd really hate to only get $1000 in bids and have to sell it for that. I was also considering a Buy it Now option for $3500 with a $500 immediate deposit to do so to eliminate the game players. I was thinking of listing it Tuesday/Wednesday to end this coming Sunday. It's the week before Thanksgiving and maybe I'd get someone traveling for the holiday that would otherwise not be in the area. This might enable easier pick up arrangements for someone. Any insight appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #19
toms68cst

I don't sell a lot of stuff on ebay but when I do I like to start the bidding at my bottom dollar with no reserve price. As a buyer I don't really care for reserve auctions. I like to know if the reserve is reasonable and if it's even worth taking the time to watch the auction and bid.

I'd start at $2000-$3000 or whatever you think your bottom dollar is and hope the bidding takes off.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #20
Bowties

I see your point. I'm also told that many so called 'no reserve' auctions are suspicious because they just get ended early if the bidding doesn't get high enough. If I do this it will likely be starting at $1 and let it go hoping for the best. The only reason I would end early would be for a fair offer to do so early on, not in the final hours/minutes like I'm told is happening. If I use a buy it now I'm told that option goes away after the first bid on a no reserve auction?? I'd honor my buy it now at any time during the auction unless of course a high bid is above that. It's got to be worth $2500 bucks but of course I'd like a minimum of $3000 and I believe it will bring that. I just don't want to deal with any games and wont, you win you own it, period. Trying to decide what to do. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:30 AM   #21
88Jimmy4x4

Heres some more pics of this nice Burb

Old 11-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #22
383drvr

I do alot on ebay. I've found that a reserve kills the potential bidders, but no reserve with a high first bid is a bigger no no. People will disregard the auction in hopes of finding a lower starting bid. Start the auction on a sunday afternoon, and do a 7 day so it will end next sunday afternoon/evening when everyone is home to bid, view, and ultimately- "snipe". The more pictures, the better, several angles of each side, the undercarriage, engine, interior, problem areas (if any), as well as a very descriptive ad. Its not a 10 word ad in the paper, so make a very descriptive ad to give as much information as possible. List in the ad that you reserve the right to cancel the ad anytime (say that its listed locally).

If you've decided on eBay, think aout the above, then I'd say start the bid at 900, with a reserve of 2400 to cover any major loss, and list the reserve price in the ad. Good Luck

Last edited by 383drvr; 11-16-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #23
Bowties

Thanks for your input. Actually, I've been chatting with a few vehicle sellers on eBay, not just car dealers and have been enlightened a bit. They all agree that a no reserve but using a high or minimum start is bad. They all agree that my thoughts on starting it at $1 with no reserve, using a buy it now [$500 immediate deposit required for buy it now] and retain the option of ending early is best. They all said to never use a reserve then list it in the description nor tell bidders who ask as they are only dreamers/bottom feeders. They said to provide an assortment of photos but don't over do it, let the description speak volumes. They recommend a pre purchase inspection versus too many photos taking too much time to load. These are seasoned sucessfull sellers but I'm sure there's 1000's of opinions and I respect yours. I was warned of the photo collectors asking for infinate amounts of photos and the time wasters as well as fraud/scams. I don't know, seems like a lot of wasted time to me. I'm not new to eBay as I have 280+ feedback on one and 70+ feedback on the other. I'm not new to selling vehicles either as I sold a boat on eBay, a classic car for an uncle, a personal car of mine and a parts car as well as bought a car. These were all back a couple/few years when eBay was a trustworthy site. I haven't sold anything recently except for my Bristol tickets back in July after I learned I couldn't attend. Sunday/Monday eve [7-9pm eastern] was the recommended end day and a 5 day auction was favored. They all agreed, after seeing the photos, that it will do well likely exceeding my expectations. That all looks good on paper THANKS again!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #24
Bowties

Oh, to clarify, they said to be sure to say it's a true no reserve but that it is available and subject to sale prior to auction end for the right offer but clarify that it will not be ended for any reason within the final day, high bidder wins. If anyone wants to know my eBay ID's they are 'life-is-a-beach!' and 'some-beach!', exactly as shown between the quotes.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 AM   #25
88Jimmy4x4

Only problem with buy it now, is that lately on ebay....there has been ALOT of zero feedback members using BIN and never completing the sale....ask your contact about that...he may suggest that you also put "only bidders with a min + feedback and no - feedback or something. I personally also think it will do well because I was looking for 4x4 burbs about 3-4 months ago and they were going for about $3500-$4500 in great condition, however its holiday season now and peoples interests and money could be elsewhere....who knows
Closed Thread