The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Gmc Junkie Is Brokendown/stranded

Just got a call from Jodie about 30 min ago when I was headed to the junk yard, she is stranded in louisiana. She has no battery power at all.
The truck was cruising just fine, a suddne surge of power, then 2 backfires. (didn't ask if it was through the carb or out the pipes) and now nothing. No 4 ways, no cranking, nothing.
I had her look for burnt wires around the battery, and all she found was some corrosion on the main positive cable. We have no test light, so she was unable to tell me if the battery was stone dead, or if it was the red wire going to the junction block. She said other than the corrosion, nothing looked out of place to her.
I have her Cell # here, she said she was going to call tripple A, but no idea where to, nor what she's going to do next.
I want to say she's close to Lafaette...but I may be mistaken. I'm going to try and get ahold of a couple ppl, and then I'll probably call her up.
Anyone able to help her, PM me. I'll be getting an exact location as to where she is.
Who was doing the thread 6 months ago about collecting names and numbers of ppl willing to help in this situation?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Mudder

Its a wire that runs from the battery to the alt that is burnt. Maybe her alt is wasted????? Shes goon try to replace the wire but I'm afraid it will burn again when she gets it started. AAA is on the way.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
Longhorn Man

Sweeet.
I was wondering about that wire, but was unsure if that would kill to the whole vehicle.
I found the road side assistance poll I was lookin for. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=136592
Old 05-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
Mudder

Shes just inside of La.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
Mudder

She got ahold of one of the guys wife that is on here but the wife cant get ahold of him on his cell. I'm afraid she will have a dead battery. Shes in a bad spot, just hope she gets off the freeway.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

You know, thinking about it, I'll bet she's overcharging. The surge of power may have come from the HEI getting megga voltage to create a helluva spark, then the wire burned up....
It's an idea.

I'm thinking she still has the old external regulated set up. We'll find out when she replaces the wire, if it burns up again, then something is up.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Mudder

I was thinking maybe it got against something hot and shorted out. Hard to say being 10 hours north.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

Well, Rodney, the tow truck driver is being very helpfull. They are replacing the wire right now. I asked her if she has a good amp guage, but she doesn't think it is acurate. I did mention my over charging concern, but with her low battery on her phone, I didn't get to ask what kind of alt she has in there.

Randy, once she gets the truck running and charges up her cell a little, she'll be calling you.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

Good call on the long distance troubleshooting.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
Mudder

Cool I was just getting ready to call her again..........
Old 05-29-2005, 07:45 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

She is on the road. All is well.
Turns out, when she put her radiator in, she pinched the wire Mudder was talking about up there, the alt to battery one. Rodney fixed her up, and charged a tow to the tripple A so it was no $$ out of pocket.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im glad to hear she is ok... im not looking to start any kind of trouble here but is there a place to join the board version of AAA here? id gladly go help someone stranded out my way in NJ or NY

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

Rusty, that was attempted, but it was canned due to privacy concerns.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

I had that same wire cook in my 69 GMC. I cut up my perfectly good jumper cables and used a double run as a replacement till I could get to the store and buy a heavy duty wire meant for those High output alternators. Lucky for me some one was nice enough to give me a jump that had thier own cables.
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

It seems to me like it was Putter who was talking about setting up an emergency assistance forum. I have senior moments too so it could have been someone else. I'm glad to hear Jody is ok. I thought she may have blown a fusible resister. I fried an alternator wire once on a Dodge Valiant on the way from Michigan back to Charleston S.C. and I managed to rip the red wire off the alternator before it burnt up the harness. I drove about 400 miles on the battery and when dark came the lights were pretty dim by the time I got to the base.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 05-29-2005 at 09:35 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:39 PM   #16
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

You're a good man Andy!!
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:22 PM   #17
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

we were going to start one, but noone was sure of who what where when etc.. We CAN start one within the board (ie the board runs it) with privacy to a point, IF we have an admin or two agree to help. It is way to much for one person to do alone. Seeing this happen to Jodie, and Mac's close calls a few months ago, along with anyone else .. I'd like to see this happen, we just need to work out a few details.

Jodie I am so sorry you had problems but am glad you had a few to lean on even with distance..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:23 PM   #18
Longhorn Man

MHC, if we can do this, I'd like to assist in running it. I'm not an admin...but I used to be, does that count?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:26 PM   #19
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

This board is amazing! What a great bunch of people. I commend all of you. Thanks for the post longhorn man.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #20
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I am PC illeterate so I think that may count me out on the admin area. but I am MORE than willing to help out when needed. all my personal info is available to board members.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:31 PM   #21
Longhorn Man

I'll try to help pretty much anyone if I am able. Since I wasn't really able, I posted hoping some one else could help.
It's all a brotherhood here anyways, right?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:32 PM   #22
67chevemall

I know I plan on traveling and that would be cool to have a safe place to fix a problem
and get going again.
ps How do you get 28 0000 posts?man?
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:47 PM   #23
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall
ps How do you get 28 0000 posts?man?

Don't let Longhorn man fool you, he's helped alot of people on the board! Just this one incident and he's taken the time to post 10 times so far to get to an answer. Dedication and probably a computer in his garage. Being a member since god created the earth helps a little too.
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #24
papawswrench

I think it is a great idea . I am always ready to help if I can , and have in the past . I am near Houston and in trucking , and know this part of the country well .
I just talked to Jodie and they are just now going in to the dr's office . She will let us know when she can tell us how things are going .
Papao55
papawswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #25
Longhorn Man

no life at all...that's how.
Untill we can get our traveler's list put together, when ever you plan a road trip, you can post about it and the route you'll be taking in the general discussion asking for contact info of members along the way. If I remember correctly, Jodie had to do this once before, mac had a close call on a trip he did a few months back(truck broke the day after his trip), Jewels needed assistance assistance about 2 summers ago and shade tree jumped out of bed to help out... and I woulda used some assistance once too, but that was before my board days.
This place can be a real asset.