The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
BarryB

Help? Hauling a roller.

Hey guys, I just bought a 68 short fleet. I am thinking of renting a U Haul trailer to go get it. My question is has anybody hauled one using Uhauls trailer. How well does it fit ? I would hate to drive all the way down to Ga and find out it won't fit on the trailer. Thanks for any info.
Little brabbery. I will post pics if I can get it back to the house.

Last edited by BarryB; 10-09-2006 at 06:01 PM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Help? Hauling a roller.

Does it have an engine in it?
How well does it roll?
(I'm leading to recomending a tow bar)

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 10-09-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Hey guys, I just bought a 68 short fleet. I am thinking of renting a U Haul trailer to go get it. My question is has anybody hauled one using Uhauls trailer. How well does it fit ? I would hate to drive all the way down to Ga and find out it won't fit on the trailer. Thanks for any info.
Little brabbery. I will post pics if I can get it back to the house.
I rented a U-Haul car hauler to bring my k72 back from St. Louis. It towed like a dream and I would highly recommend it. The only thing to watch for is the width of the tires. Check out the width of the inside of the car hauler and compare that with the outside to outside measurment of the tires. My mags and tires were too wide and I had to go junkyard shopping for rims and narrow tires to get it on the hauler. I think its the best way to get an unknown truck or car home with no hassle. You never know about tires,bearings and brakes. Ask the person you are buying from to measure across the front for you.

Last edited by gator2511; 10-09-2006 at 06:20 PM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
DeBlk3Rulz

I Agree with Gator...Just hauled my C-20 to KC to Springfield Missouri! The New Tires ALMOST Stopped us Dead in the Water...I was quite a "squeeker"

Once the Balance was right...we did'nt even know the truck was back there.

You "MIGHT" get flack from UHAUL on the "Selected" tow vehicle...seems they only think their Rental Fleet can haul their trailers...fortunately...I had a GREAT Friend that loaned his services and trailer for the weekend! (And his Driveway for a few months to get it ready for the DRIVE to Florida!

Good Luck!

"Double Tap Always...Change Magazines...BEFORE you move"

DeBlk3Rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

You can't rent a uhaul to tow a truck unless you lie to the guy you renting it from and you have a big truck, and if you somehow get ahold of one I'd be scared of the liability if something happened while towing the truck, I think you may be able to squeze a full size truck on the trailer if you put skinny tires on it, another thing is rent a trailer when they actually have one, the seem to let you reserve for X date then when you go to pick it up they don't have any

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
qksilver

I brought home a 72 LWB 3/4 BB F-250 from DC to NC using an aluminum U-Haul. Did tow pretty good once I made sure the tongue weight was right, usually 10-15 % of total weight.
Quick question, how far are you from Nashville and where are you going to in Georgia.
A board member has a 292 engine I want 35 north of Nashville and I am trying to see if I can get it closer. I am 6 hours from Atlanta.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by qksilver; 10-09-2006 at 07:20 PM.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
jc1969c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksilver View Post
I brought home a 72 LWB 3/4 BB F-250 from DC to NC using an aluminum U-Haul. Did tow pretty good once I made sure the tongue weight was right, usually 10-15 % of total weight.
Quick question, how far are you from Nashville and where are you going to in Georgia.
A board member has a 292 engine I want 35 north of Nashville and I am trying to see if I can get it closer. I am 6 hours from Atlanta.
Thanks,
Steve
Hey QKSilver: I know this is an old thread but I am getting ready to tow a '69 short Stepside from VA to FL. When you used the dolly, I assume you disengaged the axle? The cost difference between the car trailer and the tow dolly is a big one so I was thinking of the dolly.
jc1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Just remember the old rule of thumb with Uhaul.....If you go against all that is out there aboiut how bad they are....dont be surprised with the probably end result. JUNK!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yes, you disengage the drive shaft if it's an automatic. To be on the safe side, I would drain the trans fluid and remove the drive shaft completely.

The longest trip I've done with a tow dolly is about 250 miles but I was towing an 87 Cutlass Supreme -a fairly light vehicle. Towing a truck may be a little more hazardous with a dolly.

I towed my 69 thirty miles and it got somewhat squirrelly at the higher speeds since the weight is not evenly distributed. I also towed my 68 with a wide (84") 16 ft. flatbed trailer and it was a lot easier.

Bottom line, I would bite the bullet and rent a trailer if I had to go longer than 50 miles.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Forgot to mention... The dollys you rent at U Haul may not fit properly. The truck is going to be wider than their widest dollys. I had to put original narrow wheels on my 69 and it still was a tight fit.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
qksilver

Also a tow dolly works pretty good as long as you tow from the front. I brought back a suburban from Tuscon to NC. Width was tight and you didn't want to make tight turns because the dolly fenders rubbed the rocker panels
Old 10-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
BarryB

Hey guys, Thanks for the info. I beleive the truck has regular wheels and tires on it.
Longhorn man, It is a infinished project, so bumpers, motor, etc. are in pieces.
Chevy fatman, that is what I am afriad of. But My tow vechicle is well in the requirements for towing(1999 Dodge 3500 Cummins diesel). I made reservations. Well see how it goes. I am going to make sure they have one before I even leave the house.
QKsilver, Sorry but I live near Bristol, Tn. And going to Toccoa, Ga. If you could get it there by Saturday, I wouldn't mind loading it and hauling to Bristol. About 5 hours from Nashville.
I seen a couple of uhaul trailers on a lot. Thought about going and measuring the dimensions. and comparing to a short frame I have.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
Aarons72s

I used a tow dolly from u-haul to haul a 71 home but then again it was only a bout a 10 mile round trip. That is my suggestion. It seemed to handle fine but then again it was 6 and half years ago.
Aaron

EDIT: This was my 300th post!

Last edited by Aarons72s; 10-09-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
qksilver

It was worth a shot, never hurts to ask!
good luck and be safe, you shouldn't have a problem. I would suggest though if you rent a U-Haul bring an extra set of straps for the rear. I don't think any one has ever said I wish I didn't strap it down so tight
Old 10-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #15
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Where in GA? How soon do u need to get it?
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #16
RicksTrucks

The last tow dolley I rented from U-haul was too narrow, so ended up buying an older dolley. And they are right, you have to lie on the web when filling out the info.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #17
qksilver

I used their heavy duty one and still the burb straddled the pans. I let a lot of air out of the tires, rolled it on, used a jack to center it, then strapped it down with the dollies straps and 2 of my own, then air the tires up. It did only have 215/75/15R tires on stock wheels.
I also told them I was towing an S-10
Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #18
BarryB

Luv2xclr8, It is located in Toccoa, Ga. Northeast of Alanta. I am wanting to get it by this Saturday. Why do you ask?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
Werewolf
Woof?

I tow dolley'd my '68 home about 1.5 years ago, and although I got the truck on the dolley, it was an *extremely* tight fit. I had to take wider turns than most tractor trailers to keep the truck from busting up the dolley's fenders. Then the straps on the dolley didn't hold, and the truck tried to crawl off. All and all an adventure, and if I had to do it again, I'd get the full car hauler so that the truck was completely off the ground.

U-haul let me use my '01 1/2 ton Silverado 4x4 to tow the truck, and they even let me take the dolley. Often times it seems to depend on the U-haul branch and what they'll let you get away with.

BE CAREFUL with U-haul stuff. Lots of people have had nightmares renting from them. Usually that's just for their movers, not trailers. However, I've had a couple of bad U-haul trailers in the past. One with no lights, another that ended up losing a few bolts while we were towing.

"Why's the car weaving really badly like that?"
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
junkyardjohn

U-HAUL IS THE BUNK WHEN IT COMES TO RENTING ANYTHING. I RECENTLY MOVED ACROSS COUNTRY & ALL THE RENTAL COMPANYS WANTED $900 ON AVERAGE TO RENT A CAR TRAILOR FOR 10 DAYS ONE WAY. I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 16 ' CAR HAULER WITH BRAKES FOR JUST UNDER 2 GRAND. I JUST COULDN'T ALLOW MYSELF TO RENT ONE AT THOSE PRICES. U-HAUL IS HANDS OWN THE WORST RENTAL COMPANY WITH THE WORST MAINTANENCE & CUSTOMER SERVICE I'VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION BASED ON MY EXPERIANCES. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #21
junkyardjohn

Barry... If You Do Rent One.. Rent It Close To Home & Haul It Down There & Back. Local Rental Is A Small Fraction Dollar Wise Compared To One Way. But You Probably Already Knew That. John

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #22
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn View Post
Barry... If You Do Rent One.. Rent It Close To Home & Haul It Down There & Back. Local Rental Is A Small Fraction Dollar Wise Compared To One Way. But You Probably Already Knew That. John
No I didn't know that. But that is what i thinking about doing. I have been looking for a trailer. I use them all the time. but I borrow from my friends for local tows. Wouldn't want to take it on a long trip.Just need to break down and buy one. But maybe later when I have more funds.
U haul trailers, are they aluminum??
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #23
junkyardjohn

I'M NOT SURE. IT'S BEEN ABOUT 12 YEARS SINCE I RENTED ONE & THEY WERE STEEL THEN. (NO DOUBT THEY'RE THE SAME ONES & THEY WERE PROBABLY 25 YEARS OLD THEN) THEY PROBABLY HAVE THE INFO YOU NEED ON A WEBSITE AT PENSKE.COM OR RIDER.COM OR ANYBODYELSEBUTUHAUL.COM (ISN'T FREE WORD OF MOUTH ADVERTISING GREAT) JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #24
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'll have to agree 100% on the u-haul comments... they pretty much suck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 AM   #25
hogrocket

Uhaul does have a history of not maintaining thier equipment. I would try to rent from someone else. A problem I ran into once was a broken hand winch mounted on the front to pull the truck onto the trailer. Make sure it's in good working order before you leave the yard and just in case, take along a couple come-a- alongs and some chain. Good luck.
hogrocket is offline   Reply With Quote