The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
BAM71

Hit and run

My cousins truck got smashed by a hit and run driver while his truck was parked in his own yard. The driver failed to make a coner and drove in his yard leaving 60 feet of skid marks down the hill on his property until smashing into the side of his '69 stepside. What ever had hit his truck drove off. The truck was knocked about 15 feet and the rear tires fell off of a 3 foot terrece while the front tires remained on the top level. My cousin was in the shower at the time. It was rain outside and he heard what he thought was thunder. When he go out and was walking by the front window of the house looked out and saw his truck sitting in a different location that what he had parked it. Police were called but since it was on private property they said nothing could be done. He has little to go on. A piece of the other cars/trucks inner fender and a bunch of broken headlight pieces are all that were left in his yard.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Hit and run

That sucks. What an a-hole
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM71 View Post
Police were called but since it was on private property they said nothing could be done. He has little to go on. A piece of the other cars/trucks inner fender and a bunch of broken headlight pieces are all that were left in his yard.
That sounds weird. Don't most crimes happen on private property? Hmmm if I ever wanna off someone Im gonna make sure it happens on private property

Last edited by CG; 10-27-2007 at 10:08 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Jim_PA

AHHHHH!!! WTF??? that sucks. I'd be hunting for wrecked cars with blue paint on them and busted headlights.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
67ChevyRedneck

Hmmm, what time was this at (evening, night?) Could have been a drunk driver that didn't want to get caught, or someone who doesn't have insurance
Project "On a Dime"
Old 10-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Hmmm, what time was this at (evening, night?) Could have been a drunk driver that didn't want to get caught, or someone who doesn't have insurance
I agree, It's likely going to be one or the other. One other possibility is that it could have been some young kid that just got his drivers license, and got scared and ran after he ran into the truck. It really is a shame that people don't take responsibility for their actions these days. They make it much worse on both parties involved when they run, and eventually get caught.

Hopefully somebody saw it and will come forward. I would start asking neighbors if they happened to see who did it. I really hope that they catch whoever did that. It sure was a nice looking truck, and without anybody taking responsibility for it he will be out of pocket quite a bit of money to repair it back the way that it was which sucks! ...Joe
Old 10-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Don't know about other states, but here in Arkansas it takes a herd of gnus, and ten thousand witnesses to get anything done that involves a police report of an incident/accident on private property. If they see an event on public property, they don't have a problem following you onto private property to give you a ticket (from personal experience) but getting them to write anyone anything based on what happened to this guy is tough. No witnesses....no help from the police. But, all it takes in ONE witness....one ID....one license plate number...vehicle description. What amazes me, and doesn't, is that it happened at 2PM (broad daylight) and NOBODY saw anything.

I drive a school bus. It's illegal to pass a stopped school bus that is displaying flashing red lights and boarding or discharging riders. Yet, our local P.D. has refused to write tickets while witnessing such events on school property. They said that it was private property and they couldn't write tickets on private property. Excuse me, but isn't the land PUBLIC property? It's a public school and taxes paid for it.

We have a lot of legalities that don't make sense to me.

But, hang in there....somebody saw something. You have to find them and get their help.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
splatrd

2:00 In the afternoon? Sounds to me more likely to be a teenager getting out of school and driving way to fast for the rainy conditions. Most likely driving their parents car. I agree with a lot of the others about searching thru the neighbohoods in the area. Look closely at the pieces from the headlights, it may give you a clue as to the make of vehicle, many manufacturers have a logo molded into the plastic housings.
1978 El Camino SS, LT1 swap
2016 Camaro SS
splatrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
I agree, It's likely going to be one or the other. One other possibility is that it could have been some young kid that just got his drivers license, and got scared and ran after he ran into the truck. It really is a shame that people don't take responsibility for their actions these days. They make it much worse on both parties involved when they run, and eventually get caught.
Hit and runs suck. I had three happen to me at college. I had an '86 Toyota truck that was hit twice! The first time I bent the bumper back, the second I had to replace the bumper.

The third time... they hit my 67 It bent the bumper and nicked the fender. This was years ago, it's all fixed now
Project "On a Dime"
Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
tiggerstoy
tiggerstoy

tell him to go around to the body shops, or call them and ask if anyone has come in for a price quote on front damage repair....it mite help....sorry to see it ....max.
tiggerstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
dan42

It had to be somebody from the area. If they have any intelligence at all(which I doubt) they'll park the car, but I would check the paint and how high the damage was. It probably wasn't an old man or woman so that will narrow your search. I would bet cruising through the neighborhoods, eventually you'll find them. The question is what do you do then since no one saw it happen. I hope he had insurance. I get so mad at people that do that...
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

^+1 Go looking around your neighborhood and find the SOB. If something like this happens again to anyone put some beer cans on the ground (that will imply they are drinking). DUI/DWI is one thing they can issue tickets for on private property, and then they can tack on all the other infractions too.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
BAM71

This happened at 2:00 in the middle of the day. The only thing we can come up with is they were drunk or had no insurance. Only thing we have to go on is the tire track are real close together, and the damage to his truck is pretty low since he has a 3/5 drop and damaged 1/3 up the door. What ever hit his truck and moved it 15 feet has to be pretty messed up
Old 10-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Police were called but since it was on private property they said nothing could be done.
That sounds like a load of BS to me.
Look into that, and when you find this to be inacurate, I would DEMAND they do what they are supposed to do.
Call your insurance company... they KNOW this stuff, they use every loop hole they can.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
That sounds like a load of BS to me.
Look into that, and when you find this to be inacurate, I would DEMAND they do what they are supposed to do.
Call your insurance company... they KNOW this stuff, they use every loop hole they can.
I was hit in a "private parking lot" of a business and the cops showed up there, and took a report, but they, the police, did at first try to get by with not showing do to being on "private" property. That was until my wife call the Highway Patrol, and the HP called the city PD and refreshed their memory on the law.

Call the HP, and your insurance, and see if they tell you the samething.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Was a great looking truck.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
grayw0lf

Man, that sucks! I'd look around at any 16 years old drivers you have in your neighborhood.

Since they won't do anything b/c it was on you private property, can you find the punk & beat him senseless on his private property?
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #17
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Sucks, man. Sorry to see it. Start the search for a new cab, and build her back. Is the frame tweaked ? That looks like it was a real hard hit.

Have your relative/friend call the Arkansas State Police at once & have them come out & do a full investigation (I'll bet they will) and anyway, he also has to file a report with the state for any motor vehicle accident with over (I think the limit is) $ 500 damage.

We have a huge number of "blue-hair old ladies & old men wearing hats" over here in this retiree-area who seem to park by braille, & you always get parking lot dings, but this is big-time hit & run. No doubt from the driver being DWI & probably no insurance on top of that. Or maybe an illegal (no documents) alien, too.

Good reason to have declared-value collision & comprehensive coverage on your truck from a good insurance man.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

That really sucks! They had to go really far into the yard to hit that truck! Maybe a very angry ex-girlfriend?

Someone did a hit and run on my '82 GMC back in high school. It had been painted 1 week before. It was on school property, so the cops wouldn't do anything about it. And the school of course didn't have the means to find out who did it. So I took it upon myself to find out who it was. After a bit of searching, found the truck (small town.) Turns out it was a couple of "friends" of mine driving one of their brother's trucks. They had skipped school and gotten drunk. Needless to say the driver got a severe beating

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #19
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

it's been documented on here... I'll be the first civilian to jump up and defend cops... but I have a STRONG feeling, that cop was being lazy. A crime is a crime is a crime. Doesn't matter who owns the land under it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #20
tdkosta

OK once when I was in a hurry delivering flowers I unknowingly clipped the bumper of a car while parking my delivery van, I didn't even realize it had happened until I got a call from the flower shop telling me the police were on the line with them and were going to arrest me if I didn't return to the location. This was just a small amount of paint scraping onto a bumper. But none the less damage was done and it was my fault, someone else shouldn't have to pay for my carelessness. Hit and run is a crime regardless of the amount of damage done.

Good luck tracking the person down. Glad nobody was in the field when it happened.
tdkosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
bent
The master of disaster

If the HP wont donothing call the state police they should be able to help regaurdless u will need to call the insurance company and tell tem about it. As many others have said look in back yards open shops and garages and look for a dammaged car possibly a white one. Mostlikely a custom car or atleast one that is lowered. Good luck to you guys and keep us posted on what happenes
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #22
bent
The master of disaster

Also Judging by the skid marks it could have verry well been some one that youre frind has pissed of it looks to me like they didnt loose controll skidmarks are too straight forward for that ony 2 wheel marks if the had lost controll their would be 3 at the top of the hill and possibley when they turned to miss the trees.

Also you tell if they was accelerating or breaking just by the way the mudd and grass is laid if they was accelerating obviously the mudd/grass will be pointing in the opiste direction of the truck for where if they was on the breaks it would be pointing in the direction of the truck. Hope this helps you guys again gl and keep us posted

After opening the pics in PSP7 and Photo shop and enlarging them a bit it looks as if they came as you said off the road but it looks like they accelerated down the hill toward the truck ,again not certain pics was fuzzy after enlarging them. The reason i say this is cause of the mudd that was slung to the right of the pic just in that aera and right where the fence is shows where the front of ths vehicle slidd a bit, or dug in the groove on the leftside is deeper inna spot as apposed to the right thats what tells me it was a rear wheel drive vehicle non posi.
IMHO it was a mid size rear wheel drive car but not certain.

Last edited by bent; 10-27-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added to it
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #23
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
Also Judging by the skid marks it could have verry well been some one that youre frind has pissed of it looks to me like they didnt loose controll skidmarks are too straight forward for that ony 2 wheel marks if the had lost controll their would be 3 at the top of the hill and possibley when they turned to miss the trees.

Also you tell if they was accelerating or breaking just by the way the mudd and grass is laid if they was accelerating obviously the mudd/grass will be pointing in the opiste direction of the truck for where if they was on the breaks it would be pointing in the direction of the truck. Hope this helps you guys again gl and keep us posted

After opening the pics in PSP7 and Photo shop and enlarging them a bit it looks as if they came as you said off the road but it looks like they accelerated down the hill toward the truck ,again not certain pics was fuzzy after enlarging them. The reason i say this is cause of the mudd that was slung to the right of the pic just in that aera and right where the fence is shows where the front of ths vehicle slidd a bit, or dug in the groove on the leftside is deeper inna spot as apposed to the right thats what tells me it was a rear wheel drive vehicle non posi.
IMHO it was a mid size rear wheel drive car but not certain.
Nice work Detective Bent. Now lets get the bastards.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 10-27-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
drunkbus

I would look around the neighborhood. A similer thing happened to me with my truck parked on the street. The car that hit it was found about a block away with the front end hidden in some brush.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #25
68K20 x Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM71 View Post
Police were called but since it was on private property they said nothing could be done.
Hit and run with over $500 in property damage is a felony. Doesn't matter where it happened. Trespass and Vehicular vandalism are also crimes on private property. I know people who have been busted for all theses things.

Maybe the cops have an issue with your cousin?

Oh that poor truck!

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote