The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Painter D

Does your truck fight you every step of the way?

Mods move if necessary.

I discovered an exhaust leak today on my 69 at the collectors. So I'm thinking no big deal I'll just get some new gaskets ,put'em in, problem fixed. It didn't go that way though ,they still leak even with new gaskets. So as I was laying under my truck in frustration it got me thinking back to other issues and situations, and I realized. My truck fights me every step of the way!

So then I really started thinking back to every single thing I've done ,and nothing ,yes nothing went as smooth and as easy as it should have. Even really simple stuff ,such as changing the oil. I've had two oil filters get stuck on my motor so bad I had to use an air hammer to get them off. When I upgraded my motor the first cam I had went flat, then on the second round with a new cam I had a major oil leak. Finally with the motor out for the third time it worked out normal. Why does this truck hate being worked on?

Then I got thinking more and realized every......single ......little.....thing...that should go smooth and be easy, didn't go that way. WTF? As easy as these trucks should be to work on for some reason mine isn't. The truck's almost finished now but it's been a hard road for some reason. This isn't the first vehicle I've gone through and built either ,and I'm an automotive tech. So experience and connections weren't an issue at all.

So as the title states: Does your truck fight you every step? Or is mine just cursed.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5

Last edited by Painter D; 10-17-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Re: Does your truck fight you every step of the way?

HAHA.. Man, im glad it's not just me. But it's not just the trucks! If i didnt have BAD LUCK i wouldnt have any at all. And here i was thinkin i was Unique.........

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

I don't think we need to move this, but I could be wrong.

Problem with working on anything this old is that things are bound to happen. Heck, things go wrong on newer cars and trucks as well. One thing is for certain though. Once you have worked though the problems you encounter, it makes driving your old truck that much more enjoyable, esp when people complement you on your ride!

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
dan42

There does seem to be an element of truth to that. Last night I was changing out the latch on the driver's side door, and I had to turn the lock with the key to remove the old one. Never had a problem with it before, but last night it decided to turn and freeze, with the key stuck in it. So my latch project turned into a replace-the-doorlock project.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
pmpski_1

Most of the time it's me, not the truck. If I leave well enough alone everything'll be fine.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

I had a 1977 K10 Silverado, and that thing just had a black cloud followin it and me since the day I purchased it. No matter how much care, and time I put into it. The dang thing would leave me hangin every step of the way.

Thinking back, here are a few things I can remember went wrong with it.

Engine #1 oil delivery somehow stopped to the cam area, and cam broke in 3 places.
Engine #2 Blown head gaskets
Engine #3 Harmonic balancer flew off, snapped off the crank snout.
Engine #4 Hydraulic snapped 2 rods. (Went through deep water, sucked in a gulp through the air cleaner) Engine only had a couple hundred miles on it.

HEI module died while I was 50 or so miles on the back roads, and while being towed back the the tailgate got caved in.

Countless alternaters, Header gaskets, batteries, oil leaks, and spark plug wires.

At least the rest of the drive train didn't give me any hassles.
The body had so much cancer, it was crazy how the fender and door skins stayed on. Maybe it was the gallon of bondo?

Sold the dang thing to a guy that just had to have it, he came to my house at night in the pouring rain. He bought it, and was thrilled. I was amazed, and happy it was gone!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
adpostel

Man, and I thought I was the Lone Ranger. I have been doing a SB/BB swap going to the 454 and it has been a long road. Started out not being able to find motor mounts for the BB because I was a noob. And the small block motor mounts that were on there kept making the balancer hit the front cross member, so I had a shop weld up some steel box looking mounts that would raise and push the motor back, so I would have room to be able to use any headers, brackets or fan that I wanted. Then I started messing with the old wiring, and that became a nightmare. And mind you, the truck was in pretty decent condition already. I had driven it daily for a couple of years. I ended up replacing and basically rebuilding the harness that goes through the firewall by replacing the spades and receptacles in the plug. Then I put the motor in, and found out that my Moroso oil pan was hitting the centerlink when you would turn, so I had to pull the whole thing back out and remove the oil pan and cut a back angle on the pan and re-weld a piece on there, then re-grind and re-paint the pan and then re-install. After installing the motor and trans, I had the driveshaft built, but that was all for not, because a couple months later I bought a TH400 and that was another driveshaft. Recently I went ahead and installed the shifter and cable, and that was basically smooth, except that I had to patch the floor because I had a three speed before and it had a huge hole cut in the floor for the shifter and linkages. So I patched that and then tried to get some carpet for it, and couldn't find one upholstery shop that had a 14X10 inch piece of black carpet. Finally I went to AZ and bought a piece of black carpet for 10 bucks and went with that. After all that, I tried to put the driveshaft in, and I'm done, right. WRONG, the new one piece driveshaft wouldn't fit through the crossmember with the carrier bearing brace, so that had to come out. Took the sawzall to it and voila!! The driveshaft went right into the tailshaft splines of the trans, and then, the dang U-joint was the wrong one for the rear-end, it was too small. SHOOT, I had to take it back out and take it back to the driveshaft shop for the 4th time. The guy said there are only three u-joints it could be for a chevy rear end, so go figure I had a one in three chance of getting that right, and still got it wrong. But after that, I finally got the driveshaft in and was good to go. I have actually taken it around the block now, and washed it too. But thanks for bringing it up, it actually made me feel better talking about it and knowing others have the same issues. I don't know where we'd be without this board. So A HUGE THANKS to all that offer their information and experience on here....Good Luck and Happy Cruizin........
Old 04-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
spinning wheels

I just look at it as a challenge to keep the old truck road worthy.

Every time I have worked on it. I give myself plenty of time and try not to get to upset when things go wrong. So the new front shock feel off after 40 miles. So the new Derale trans pan won't clear the trans cross member. So the rear brakes needed to be completely rebuilt and parts were a PIA to find. So i had to drill out the ignition key to install a new ignition. I can live with that. Having a L.A. County deputy sheriff impound it cause it looks abandoned, now that pisses me off

In order to keep my sanity, I just don't work on it too much. But if you guys think these trucks are a PIA. Try working on a late 70s GM car. My '79 Elco is a PIA and I worked on my brothers '79 Vette, another PIA. In comparison, these trucks are sweet to work on.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
mr48chev

Ah, You guys just said all that to make me feel better.

sometimes I wonder why I keep convincing myself that driving a 38 year old truck is better than driving something a lot newer.

The good parts are that It is all the Truck truck that I need. It wall haul or tow anything I want to. I have less tied up in in it than the repair bills that some of my coworkers pay on their late model trucks for somewhat simple repairs. The only work on the truck I can't do myself is due to not having the proper equipment to do the job.

The bad part, The front end needs a complete rebuild.
The front half of the driveshaft needs to be replaced. It has 54 holes drilled in the body that I don't need and need to weld up. Most of those are in the tops of the bed rails. For a while it was crapping out and quitting me on a regular basis but lately it seems to want to get the job done. It does get driven 50 miles a day minimum five days a week and has done a number of out of town three and four hundred mile trips in the past six months.

We do tend to forget the age of these trucks and the fact that if we use them they will need repairs and maintenance and if we don't use them regularly they will probably need more repairs and maintenance.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
BigDaddyDave
RIP BigDaddyDave ~7-23-09~ You will be missed~

My truck can spit a brand new part off setting in the driveway. I have never had anything go right with it. I hate the trouble that you all have had, but i sure feel better knowing i am not alone.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've always loved how my trucks thrive on neglect.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
Grapdawg
Driven a 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
HAHA, Thats my dads moto and he never seems to have problems with his cars. Heck he says if she burns oil dont change it just keep adding more. But Me im not like that and try and service my vehicles and seem to always have some sort of problem. O well

My 72 c/10 Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318729
Grapdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Papa Smurf

I love it!!

We can all tell story after story of how our trucks mess with our minds - - - but don't let anyone else say something bad

I ride Harleys and its the same thing. Love does strange things.

Papa Smurf
72 Chevy SWB, Factory BB, Leaf Spring
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapdawg View Post
HAHA, Thats my dads moto and he never seems to have problems with his cars. Heck he says if she burns oil dont change it just keep adding more. But Me im not like that and try and service my vehicles and seem to always have some sort of problem. O well
This is called Self Changing oil!! I have had a couple cars with this feature. Comes in handy!!

Sorry bout all the trouble folks but im right there with ya. But in the end youll have a truck your proud of and can say yeah I did that!!

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Ya know... the more I leave my truck alone... the better it is... seriously
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 04-02-2009 at 12:14 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Painter D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Ya know... the more I leave my truck alone... the better it is... seriously
Maybe that's my problem, I just can't leave good enough alone.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Quote:
I thought it was you that thrived on neglect??? Oh wait, you like abuse, not neglect. Sorry, my mistake.

Just kidding!!!

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #18
CrashBob

I think I discovered your problem......................You have waaaay too nice of a shop and your truck is waaaay too fine looking. The darned things tend to get tempermental when spoiled

At least that's the way it seems to work with women....

CrashBob
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #19
68C10HotRod

This was such a timely thread since I've spent over a month just getting mine to be a driver. It has constantly felt like 3 steps forward & 2 back. Yesterday was a real kicker. Noticed the heater core was leaking from the outer housing (which already needed replace cuz PO cut the entire face out to get to the core previously). Figured I was gonna replace the housing, core & might as well change the stat too. Broke one of the stat housing bolts, then broke a nice Snap-On bit trying to drill the bolt out. Decided 35* temps & 20mph wind were enough & I'd tackle it today.

Thanks for the humor & stories. I knew I wasn't alone but it helps to hear about others.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)
68C10HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
tater71c

It makes me feel better when I hear ur guys stories about having nothing go right on ur trucks I have a 71 and I've owned it for a year and it's almost ready to be a daily driver but it has been a long and painful juorney gettng it to where it is today and it still needs a off frame resto
tater71c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
project69c10

Has a mind of her own. So these days i check with her before making dig changes.having to fix or work on her ,is a daily thing.buts thats ok, could be worse could not have a 1969 chevy c10 long bed,and then what would i do with all my time, so if it breaks or falls off be glad,there are alot of people who wish they could be so lucky to own the best of the best. 67-73 chevy trucks.thanks
project69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I am a firm believer that every vehicle has a "personality". My 71 blazer is fine, enjoys being worked on and even ran good before I tore it apart. Nothing is too dificult on her. My other truck isn't so nice but eventually works out for me just makes me work a little harder for it.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
72chevyk10
I built it

my truck fights me ALL the time. simple stuff is such a pita. when this truck is "done" im never getin rid of cause of all the blood sweat and tears. changin the fron drive shaft was the worst so far after the bbc swap. one day i had to fire it up and i noticed a rather large coolant leak, so i figured ill just stop every mile or so till i get home for some water, never got the darn thing outa the parking lot! i got it fired once then the power steering decided to stop working so i turn it off and try to fire it again nothingso i was sitin there with a large coolant leak the thing wouldnt start and wouldnt turn even if it did start. all at the same time. before and after that my truck has never broke down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.

Last edited by 72chevyk10; 04-01-2009 at 10:22 AM.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #24
tekno62

That why men refer to anything - cars, trucks, boat as female.. there's always a fight. even when your giving them an upgrade.
tekno62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #25
90\87Formula

Your truck is just lonely out there in that big fenced-in garage. It just wants some company. Buy a parts truck and park it out there. Everything will be good.