The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
LeatherMan69

True Low Buck Trucks!

If you got pics of inspiration for me of TRUE low buck trucks, meaning making something outta nothing, buying the cheapest of cheap (but of course good quality) parts. Off the wall engineering techniques, But still a kick ass ride, Please post em here. I see alot of shiny things that make me wish i had that kind of money but the truth is I DONT so i was hoping to get some true inspiration of some low buck but quality trucks!! I havent done alot or much to my truck for a long time and I got a LONG way to go. Wanting to reignite that fire i had when i first brought hte truck home!

Thanks guys!
you are all true artist!
LeatherMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
PistonPete123

Re: True Low Buck Trucks!

I'm right there with you, I have very little money and time, but I'm slowly making something out of nothing. I hope to build a smoothed out rat rod style truck on an airbag suspension, but that will be down the road. do you have any pics. of what you have right now and any idea what you want in the end?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
If you got pics of inspiration for me of TRUE low buck trucks, meaning making something outta nothing, buying the cheapest of cheap (but of course good quality) parts. Off the wall engineering techniques, But still a kick ass ride, Please post em here. I see alot of shiny things that make me wish i had that kind of money but the truth is I DONT so i was hoping to get some true inspiration of some low buck but quality trucks!! I havent done alot or much to my truck for a long time and I got a LONG way to go. Wanting to reignite that fire i had when i first brought hte truck home!

Thanks guys!
you are all true artist!
Tell me a little about your truck and what kind of speed bumps you have in front of you. Is there a lot of rust? What does the paint look like and is there enough on it to color sand it and buff it out? I think Pictures would help this process a lot. There are a lot of things you could do to make a really nice truck out of what you have. Are you wanting it to look stock or do you want to make it custom?

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
LeatherMan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
Tell me a little about your truck and what kind of speed bumps you have in front of you. Is there a lot of rust? What does the paint look like and is there enough on it to color sand it and buff it out? I think Pictures would help this process a lot. There are a lot of things you could do to make a really nice truck out of what you have. Are you wanting it to look stock or do you want to make it custom?

JRBECK64
I got a 69 fleetside, I live in Indiana and the winters and being kept outside have not been kind to it. Being my first build ever I think its easy to get a little frustrated. The cab is the worst part of the whole thing. Cab supports are Nearly ALL gone. floor is rusting out and i fully rusted in some parts. Both Rockers Inner and Outer are completely screwed, as well as the cab corners (of course) BUT i have to say Im still happy with it. I paid 600 for it and in runs and drives. SO i cant be all that disapointed.

Im wanting to go custom. I have a vision in my head that if i pull it off i feel it'll be one Mean lookin machine! I asked myself what i wanted it to look like and i said "what would a pissed of Lepercauhn drive?!" My Girl is a redheaded Irish girl so she was my inspiration for that thought. I hope to be able to get back to the truck soon, but im broke so (as the thread implies) BUt that will not keep this truck from tearing up the streets once again. And in style!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Cbrown67

what an inspiring thread you just got me all fired up!
Cbrown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
WHITE-NOISE

subscribed !!!!
WHITE-NOISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Here's mine. Bought it for $1200. Rattle canned it flat black. Working on it slowly, one step at a time.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
hchad18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Here's mine. Bought it for $1200. Rattle canned it flat black. Working on it slowly, one step at a time.

I love those valve covers
hchad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchad18 View Post
I love those valve covers
Thanks. About $80 on Fleabay. Just search for finned valve covers.

Last edited by Sinister; 08-06-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
LeatherMan69

All those are great inspiration! Thats what i like to see! I was getting a little dicouraged cause I kept see chromed out, Brand New Blower engines, with some crazy expensive paint job, needless to say i would/am out of my league when it comes to that! I've gotten alot of my inspiration from a very good friend of mine (whos 70 c-10 is his daily driver) who is a completely low buck guy. He's building a 39 chevy from scratch and it looks amazing! So i've definately got a "jedi master" teaching me the ways of the LOW BUCK BUILD!

I just got my computer at home set up so i'll try and get you pics asap. On the Project and Builds page you can see my truck under "young-gun-69" I had some name remorse cause i found out that im A:not as young as i thought B:there are alot of teens and younger on here building nicer trucks than what i can put out. So I changed it to Leatherman69 Because i am a leather tooler (some of my work is on that page as well)

Cant thank you guys enough for inspiring me once again. Its hard to find you guys on the build threads!!! keep in touch and keep me posted!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
rstewart09

Here is my low buck truck. I started with a $1200 67 GMC and converted it to a Chevy because the the grill was shot and found a cheap 67 Chevy grill. I bought an 89 Chevy van for $100 that had a good motor and trans to install in the truck. It had very little rust but replaced the rockers and fender cup on right front fender. I painted it with 2 quarts of blue and 1 quart of white rustoleum. I found a great deal on wheels and tires that I picked up for $400 new. I'm still looking for a deal on side molding and a seat. Its not done yet but I only have around $2000 in it total.

Last edited by rstewart09; 08-05-2010 at 10:24 PM.
rstewart09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Traded my dad a car for this one and the engine I had traded a boat for a long time ago, everything past that was done by me and cheap lol
Cept for the bags

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 08-06-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
ebfabman

here is one........
Attached Images

ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
QKENUF4U

Thumbs up Re: True Low Buck Trucks!

[quote=ebfabman;4125255]here is one........quote]

now thats one i could own for cheap....
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
camrycurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Traded my dad a car for this one and the engine I had traded a boat for a long time ago, everything past that was done by me and cheap lol
Cept for the bags

I love the look of those wheels and tires! I can't quite tell if they're the same on the front and rear - what size tires are you running?
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
Ackattack

Check out my "No buck" thread. I bought the truck for $250, cut it into a SWB, found a relatively rust free cab for $250. I recently got a 1/2 ton 'burb that I'll be swapping in the suspension from and parting the rest....basically making the suspension free.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Cbrown67

I plan on mine ebing a low budget build like leather said cheap parts but quailty parts and some back yard engineering i plan on going for a show truck not a wheeling truck. paid 1000 bucks for her
Cbrown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
Shyguy

I bought my '71 for $600, just what the mechanic's bill was. All we had to do was put gasoline in the tank and jump start it and I drove it home 30 miles.

It was pretty much stock with a 350. Since then new tires were put on it, free from my son and a '73 454 was put into it. I got the 454 from my son as a trade for the low mileage 350 in my truck. The 350 was put in one of my grandson's truck because it gets better mileage than the 454.

I gave the fleetside bed to my son to be used on the truck he built for his wife and we put a '67 long step bed on it we had from a parts truck.

I figure right now I have about $1200 into it and it is my daily driver when it is not too darn hot.

She is not a beauty, but since I use my trucks here on the farm it is ok for now.
Attached Images

'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
Pont406

Don't buy anything new. Cash is king right now. You can get good deals on shiny and bling parts new or slightlly used for about 25 cents or less on a dollar. I check craigslist and other local listing daily.
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #20
Jwill41

People are very surprised to hear that this is rattle can brown primer with cheap clear sprayed from a gun in a booth. 4 years later and I think it still looks good.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwill41 View Post
People are very surprised to hear that this is rattle can brown primer with cheap clear sprayed from a gun in a booth. 4 years later and I think it still looks good.
I'm going to do the same thing but with rustoleum as the base coat. Mine is going to be an off road toy and parts hauler so no point in putting several hundred bucks into the paint materials. I like under $9 a quart much better.

I paid $400 for my 67 C10, bought a 74 K10 rolling chassis & 84 K5 rolling chassis for $300 (sold the spare differentials, seats & top off the K5 for $240 so the actual cost for the 4x4 chassis was only $60), picked up a nice condition TBI 350 with freshly rebuilt heads for $135, a GM Goodwrench reman 4L60E that looked to be a couple years old at the most and an NP208 that bolted right to the 4L60E for another $110.

I got a good bed side and a good fender for another $35.

I snagged a roller cam & all the parts to do the conversion out of a vortec truck for $20 and a nice bench seat out of a 90 Z/71 for another $25.

So far I have $785 into my 67 K10 project.

I have a bunch of labor to do still but I should be able to get it running & driving and have less than $1000 into it with EFI and overdrive too.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #22
LeatherMan69

jwill that is freakin awesome! A primer clearcoated paint job..... NOW that is a low buck move..... "she's primed and ready for clearcoat!" Looks insanely good too
Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Jwill41

thanks Leatherman. It worked out very well. You would never know its not paint by looking. It made the brown primer look more orangish. I call it "cinnamon brown" and thats exactly what it looks like. I will be trying the same thing with some grey primer on an upcoming project. It will probably be two tone, light and dark grey.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club

Last edited by Jwill41; 08-07-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
CJ Loeffelholz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwill41 View Post
thanks Leatherman. It worked out very well. You would never know its not paint by looking. It made the brown primer look more orangish. I call it "cinnamon brown" and thats exactly what it looks like. I will be trying the same thing with some grey primer on an upcoming project. It will probably be two tone, light and dark grey.
Damn, dude, you're a Renascence man. Did you spray the clear or was that rattle can too?
CJ Loeffelholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #25
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think the best way to approach a "low buck" build is to start by getting the mechanicals right.Get it running well,stopping well steering straight and as clean as possible.Then every week take something and detail/clean/repair it.Setting a goal will help keep it going and take pics of what you did.Have the Redheaded Irish girl do an album cronological order of the progress.You can't look at it except once every 2-3 months,unless you start getting burned out or bummed because you don't think you're making progress.
Maybe start by taking brackets and cleaning/painting them.small stuff like this can make a big difference in how you perceive your truck and your progress since they are very visual.Cleaning and doing a good rattle can detail job on stuff will really make the truck look better.

Here's pics of my engine when I got it clean.It looks pretty bad but at least it's clean.I will have to wait for some light since I haven't taken any afters.It's much better except the valve cover didn't come out and is waiting for a less humid day to get a repaint.
Attached Images

Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-07-2010 at 08:10 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote