The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Convex mirrors

Has anyone used convex mirrors large enough to cover the flat mirrors on 67 68 style round side mirrors? Curious what its like driving with convex only.

Mark
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
71gmcburb

Re: Convex mirrors

I've been driving with convex mirrors for years and their good for telling you if something is there but not how close it is. so you would need a small flat mirror for close in these are the mirrors I use top is convex and the bottom is flat I had them on my 66 econo for several years before they were installed onto the burb

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff

Last edited by 71gmcburb; 04-16-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling and added pic
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Mark, I have had all my pickups set up like this since '98. I love it. I have round stainless mirrors from a truck stop that look right at home on the arm. No one ever notices, and from the drivers seat I can see EVERYTHING behind and most things beside me. As said above, it's good for spotting things, but not good for looking at things.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
mac808

I decided to change mine out to convex round mirrors after the first drive.

The mirrors are almost useless the way they are so I decided to change mine out to 5" convex. It does take a little bit of getting used to but I think its because you can see almost too much!

I can see whats right beneath the doors, above the bed, two lanes over on both sides; its a night and day difference.

mac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
406 Q-ship

When my driver side mirror failed, I had to change over to a convex that I had laying around. I put it on the passenger side because I felt that would give the best perfomance and the need to see more on that side of the truck. The flat 5" round mirror is just not enough to do the job, especially here in SoCal where drivers love to ride in the blindspot.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I put convex mirrors on my 4" spots. Like said above great for seeing if somethings there but not how close it is. Huge improvement over flat, especially on pass side.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

Mac, that looks to be exactly what I have... but mine are bolted to a crappy truck.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
C10 - C90 Bill

Like 71gmcburb, I've got both on my trucks. As much as I see many run convex only, I personally would not recommend one. If you would need to make a real quick decision on the hi-way for example, they are not the best thing to have. The factory ones that are on the newer vehicles today are actually somekind of "semi-convex". If you could possibly get one of those, but I believe they are hard to find. If you notice, even those will have a warning imprinted on them.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
71gmcburb

with You driving on us 2 and hwy 522 and I-5 & 405 haveing both is a good idea with all the komikazi drivers LOL Yes I've been thru Monroe a few times lol I live in Everett

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Im thinking ahead on my panel. I dont want big mirrors on it like I have on my K20. I have a nice new set of stainless style stock mirror arms with the round heads. I felt like convex would be better than flats. Ill probably just have to try both ways, but feel Ill probably just have to learn to drive with the convex and cross my fingers when I change lanes quickly =)

Last edited by CG; 04-17-2011 at 01:31 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
mac808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Mac, that looks to be exactly what I have... but mine are bolted to a crappy truck.
LOL Hey, technically speaking, all of our 40+ year old trucks should be or used to be a crappy truck right...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Im thinking ahead on my panel. I dont want big mirrors on it like I have on my K20. I have a nice new set of stainless style stock mirror arms with the round heads. I felt like convex would be better than flats. Ill probably just have to try both ways, but feel Ill probably just have to learn to drive with the convex and cross my fingers when I change lanes quickly =)
If you want to keep the original round mirror look with the OEM mirror base on the 67-69 style mirror, the 5" convex mirrors are perfect and blend right in without disrupting the OEM look.

Once you get used to how a car appears in your blind spots, two car lengths behind, how far the curb actually is when backing in, etc, you'll love them and wonder how you lived without them.
mac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Longhorn Man

I agree with Mac... I can't imagine ever driving my truck without the convex mirrors. Yes, it takes a little bit of time to get used to it, but once you do get used to it, you can judge things no problem.