The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
ya it is a classic

who likes money?

well for the last 2 days ive been going around to all the neighbors and collecting old car and truck batteries. car batteries are $8 each and tractor batts are $13. i netted $300 my first day $580 gross(split profit with a couple people i got batteries from) and i just added up todays as about $350 net. so if your looking for extra cash and know of some people with old batteries(most are happy to get rid of them and just let you have them for free)

so to get rich quick just call this number and give me your credit card number so i can ship you this FREE info DVD!

but seriously though i really never thought about doing it until i started talking with a scrap hauler guy and i was like what the heck ill try it.
ya it is a classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
sjarrett71

Re: who likes money?

Just don't turn to the dark side and start taking stuff without permission. A lot of guys I deal with see high profit margins in copper and stuff like that and steal from the local power and construction companies. That is until they're caught and sent to the pokie!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

There are a ton of people around here that are posting on Craigslist that they will haul your scrap metal and batteries for FREE! What a deal!

If people will give them to you, that's a pretty good deal.

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

yeah i get tired of them spamming every single directory with their ads.
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

who the hell has old batteries laying around?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
RestoreAmerica

Where does tomorrow's income come from?
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoreAmerica View Post
Who cares? When I get a bag full of aluminum cans I take them to the recycler and get a couple bucks, even though tomorrow I won't have the bag of cans anymore.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
stealing toyota cat. converters

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
RestoreAmerica

My only point is your neighbors only have a limited supply of old batteries.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
irishman999

My dad was doing this for a while.

He hit the local small town junk yard and bought all the batteries he could find for half of what the recycle rs were paying. He had a trailer load ready to go, drove them a couple hundred miles to find the scrap price was suddenly reduced. The trip and effort did not pay off.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
ya it is a classic

Quote:
My only point is your neighbors only have a limited supply of old batteries.
well i went to a place and there was 95 old batteries. so i split the profit 50/50 even though i was doing all the work and driving 75 miles to the scrap yard. and i live in montana where there is old farm everywhere so i just cruse around and say hi im chad bla bla bla old batteries. so far ive hired my friend cause i have 100 batteries from two days collecting and my 72 gmc didnt like all that weight so i got about 50 in my pickup and 50 between my friends pickup and his trailer.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
tow guys

Where did you turn them in? I have a few laying around I'd love to get rid of
tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
fine69

Some of you guys seem worried about what he is going to do tomorrow for cash.

WHO CARES?????

And to assume that he will start stealing is rude.

I don't currently have a job. I am scrapping for a living. Its not that easy anymore to get scrap cars. Some i buy, or do percentage with the owner. Some you do get for free.

I want to thank him for telling others how to earn some extra cash if they need it.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
ya it is a classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Some of you guys seem worried about what he is going to do tomorrow for cash.

WHO CARES?????

And to assume that he will start stealing is rude.

I don't currently have a job. I am scrapping for a living. Its not that easy anymore to get scrap cars. Some i buy, or do percentage with the owner. Some you do get for free.

I want to thank him for telling others how to earn some extra cash if they need it.
fine69 is right. even if i quit getting batteries after i take these in ill have still made alot of money. and yes the point about stealing is very valid. i would never steal anything. especially a battery! but you hear on the news all the time about people stealing new copper pipe and selling it for scrap. and yes it is getting hard to find cars to scrap. ive only found one that i had to give $50 for. and i know of another one i can get for free but itll be hard to get at. and to the guy that said what is he going to do tomorrow? im a senior in HS with an afterschool job, so this isnt my full time job or anything.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
tow guys

How about the recycling aspect of the whole ordeal also? Better they get recycled rather than sit in someone's shed or side yard, no?
tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
RestoreAmerica

I have a neighbor that supplements his income from scrapping. The only problem is that we live in a multifamily residential neighborhood. I own a two family home that after years of work and over $100,000 out of pocket cash infusion, I can finally rent. The scrapping neighbor was clueless to the noise and general atmosphere he created from his hobby/second job. He would be outside or in his garage all hours day and night and all day on weekends grinding, cutting and banging metal around. This did not make for a favorable atmosphere inside my home.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
BMERDOC

One of the guys at my work suppliments his income by collecting our scrap, batteries, good used tires and not-called-back warranty parts. He scraps most and sells tires on Craigslist if he can find decent pairs He makes a decent bit of cash from it to add to the little he makes in the detail department. I'm kinda jealous because I could use the extra cash too but I'm not gonna muscle in on his gig.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
irishman999

My buddy set up recycling bins around the factory we worked at, everyone just assumed management was wanting us to recycle aluminum cans. He was actually making decent money just baggin up the cans each weekend and taking them home.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

i also supplement my income by scrapping etc. i go to the trash days and pick through the items ad get anything that i can use.
Accepting part donations
Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
pritch

I scrap every thing I can that pays a buck to add a little extra income. That's the money I get to spend on my trucks
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've been doing this for years on a very small scale. I have a pile of 30 or so starters and alternators, about 10 A/C compressors, and a few other odds and ends just waiting for me to get time to go to my buddy's place to unload them. I get catilitic converters from time to time and this guy will buy anything you have that is hard to unload. He was chomping at the pit to get a safe off of me a years ago. The safe was free to me, and I got a nice intake and some valve covers, and a couple other odds and ends.
Something to take note of... A/C units are dead now. I found out that new EPA law has it to where they can't buy ANYTHING that held or carried refrigerant without some kind of paperwork from a licensed A/C guy. I found this out a day too late.
Anyone wanna buy a locked up household condensor unit and a coil? I'll sell it cheap!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #22
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I've been doing this for years on a very small scale. I have a pile of 30 or so starters and alternators, about 10 A/C compressors, and a few other odds and ends just waiting for me to get time to go to my buddy's place to unload them. I get catilitic converters from time to time and this guy will buy anything you have that is hard to unload. He was chomping at the pit to get a safe off of me a years ago. The safe was free to me, and I got a nice intake and some valve covers, and a couple other odds and ends.
Something to take note of... A/C units are dead now. I found out that new EPA law has it to where they can't buy ANYTHING that held or carried refrigerant without some kind of paperwork from a licensed A/C guy. I found this out a day too late.
Anyone wanna buy a locked up household condensor unit and a coil? I'll sell it cheap!
yeah its bcause the freon cant be released into the air. ypur supposed to have a pro empty it. luckily i have friends that work in HVAC.
Accepting part donations
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #23
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I'll take it, I am licensed.
when I worked on medium duty trucks/motorhomes I made good money scrapping. boss didn't want to mess with it as did a few shops in town where I know the guys. my best load was 5400# of cast iron.

now where I work there is an aluminum recycler 2 blocks one way and a shady neighborhood 4 blocks the other way. we always see guys walking by with bags full of cans to only see them an hour later with a bottle or 12 pack. one guy last week was carrying an arm load of rain gutter and downspouts. I guess he was remodeling his house
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Something to remember... esp if you are getting a 'jackpot load' (like expensive cats) before paying someone for there stuff, call whomever you sell them to, and see what they are going for. My guy scewed himself BAD when I showed up with 105 starters off of the GM 6.5. He paid me 10 bones each if memory serves... but when he showed up to the rebuilders, it was way more than they could move in years, and gave him like 3 bucks each.
He almost screwed himself when I showed up with 9 or 10 diesel catilitic converters. The guys that he sells to used to give a lot for them, but they all of a sudden don't want to deal with carbon'd/sooty cats, so they give very little for them.
Cats, copper, steel, stainless, aluminum, it fluxuates so much at times you could end up upside down on some things. Holding onto a pile till it gets bigger is never a good idea, unless prices are down at that moment. Turn them in as soon as you can, a few days holding on is alright, but I wouldn't recomend much more.
More things to look for, if you have local rebuilders (of anything) ask them what they need. Locally, 350, 454, and the 2.5 are all gold. Rear wheel drive torque converters, 200 4R, 700 R4, Th400, 4l60e & 80e... all worth money.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #25
ya it is a classic

well i had a hell of a load today! 106 batteries!!!! and 4 radiators. now i made good money on the batteries but the radiators i didnt do so good. last time i had 6 radiators and they paid 1.19 per pound and i had 156 lbs. this time i had 4 radiators and i got like .20 per pound and only had like 40 lbs. so i dont know if i got screwed this time(there was a new guy working) or if they made a mistake last time. either way i just decided to walk out. what do you guys think? oh and btw 68c15 thats pretty funny about the guy with the rain gutters!