The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Spray on bedliner options

I would like a spray on bedliner of some sort. I'm not sure if I want to get the high end full service ones like Rhino or LineX that cost about $500, or if I should just do it myself with one of the roll on or spray on ones that run about $100. I'm pretty handy, so that's not an issue. Just want to make sure the do it yourself ones are even worth considering?

Anybody have experience either way, and can offer an opinion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Spray on bedliner options

i am not a big fan of devalueing these classic trucks with bedliners
but from what i've seen and had on my llater model trucks the pro applied linex and rhino are far supperior than the doityerself stuff
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i am not a big fan of devalueing these classic trucks with bedliners
but from what i've seen and had on my llater model trucks the pro applied linex and rhino are far supperior than the doityerself stuff
Why would that devalue it? I've got a fairly beat up looking patina, that's a good driver and mechanically sound for the most part. I want to use it for camping and hunting, and moving days. My bed is in pretty decent shape, but it's got the brown rust (only a couple of small spots that have rusted trough) along the bed, and it would get my gear all dirty. I want to clean it up and have it be functional

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
69GWC

For sure go with Line-X or Rhino liner, These will protect you investment much better then the cheap stuff.
I have used the stuff you can by off the shelf and it just does not protect the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
For sure go with Line-X or Rhino liner, These will protect you investment much better then the cheap stuff.
I have used the stuff you can by off the shelf and it just does not protect the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Damn it. Ok, thanks. Doesn't really surprise me I guess
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
69GWC

IMO it does not hurt the value of the truck unless your building a show truck or putting it all back to stock, if your using it as a truck the bed liner is a good thing again just my opinion everyone has different thoughts about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
noco-k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
IMO it does not hurt the value of the truck unless your building a show truck or putting it all back to stock, if your using it as a truck the bed liner is a good thing again just my opinion everyone has different thoughts about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just had a guy do the tub of my Blazer with Scorpion liner. Was reasonable as far as price and turned out great. I took pictures before it was sprayed to show any future owner how clean the floors were. My truck is a driver though so Im not as worried about originality. Ive had Line-X before and it was nice but it is way overpriced in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by noco-k5 View Post
Just had a guy do the tub of my Blazer with Scorpion liner. Was reasonable as far as price and turned out great. I took pictures before it was sprayed to show any future owner how clean the floors were. My truck is a driver though so Im not as worried about originality. Ive had Line-X before and it was nice but it is way overpriced in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. How much did it end up costing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
midniteblues

Yhea stay away from the cheap do it your self stuff unless you buy 2-3 kits and double or triple the coating.If you want liner get it done by people who do it. the kits are cheap and dont compare too commercial stuff

If you ask me your bed looks damn good compared to most it would be a shame too put bed liner on it and cover it up. why not clean up the small amount of rust and use a couple coats of rustolem on it. cheap very easy,and a snap to touch up or redo.you could either just go with the black or try too mix some of their blue with white to try too match your truck this would be a fraction of the price of the liner and later down the road it easyly undone

I used my old s10 to haul small loads of stone and before each winter I would roll/brush another coat on the bed it worked great on year we decided it was a big blank canvas and painted a big bright yellow smilely in the back EVERYBODY loved it!
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
Yhea stay away from the cheap do it your self stuff unless you buy 2-3 kits and double or triple the coating.If you want liner get it done by people who do it. the kits are cheap and dont compare too commercial stuff

If you ask me your bed looks damn good compared to most it would be a shame too put bed liner on it and cover it up. why not clean up the small amount of rust and use a couple coats of rustolem on it. cheap very easy,and a snap to touch up or redo.you could either just go with the black or try too mix some of their blue with white to try too match your truck this would be a fraction of the price of the liner and later down the road it easyly undone

I used my old s10 to haul small loads of stone and before each winter I would roll/brush another coat on the bed it worked great on year we decided it was a big blank canvas and painted a big bright yellow smilely in the back EVERYBODY loved it!
Great suggestions! Hadn't even thought of that. What do I need to do to the bed before I put rustoleum on it? Is there some sort of mineral spirits or alcohol paint thinner to clean off the brown residue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
noco-k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. How much did it end up costing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Blazer was a little more but I think he will do a short bed truck for about 350.
Posted via Mobile Device
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
AirSpeed

I used the stuff in a spray can, I knew it wouldn't protect anything but the surface from rust, not any kind of impact. Its been on the bed of my 72 for two years and still looks decent. I used some more expensive stuff in my 69, it came with a gun that attached to a can and that stuff wore off in six months. Next time I'll have it done by rhino or linex.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
69GWC

If your going to paint it then it needs to be prepped accordingly , wash it down real well so its good and clean then sand it down do any body work and then prime and paint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
matt_field

My opinion.. on a newer truck, its fine. But having a nice old classic, it would be the very last thing id do. Ive seen some nice restored trucks with it, and it turns my stomach to see a bed floor sprayed with it.
1968 4wd shortbox
1971 Cheyenne swb k10 unrestored
1971 Cheyenne super 40k 402bb survivor
1967 Chevy k10 (first truck)
1968 L78 camaro survivor 18k miles
1969 z28 survivor 60k miles
1969 z28 survivor 39k miles
1969 z28 rs survivor 80k miles
matt_field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
terry b

I dont think it hurts a thing. I think in a truck that is used as a truck its the way to go. These truck will never be worth a lot of money. So change it to sute you. I have a REAL 1972 super and i do to it what I want. The main thing is to enjoy your time.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
AirSpeed

Not wanting to take this thread off too far but as I said a bit ago I used some cheap spray can liner, although its lasted a couple years I eventually want to get it done right. For those that have rhino or linex did you have the top rail done? I'm thinking of getting it done to just inside the top rail, that area usually gets scratched anyway. I've already touched up the paint there several times, kinda anal I know! Anyone have pics of theirs and where it was taped off? Pics of any with the top rail coated? This will be on my 4X4, I'm thinking it may look alright even if I went right over the rail and down 1/2" or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
gotchamel

Mine is done in body color and I really like it.It was done when I purchased the truck so not sure on the name of it but the local body shop just did an El Camino that came out real nice,seems very uniform and in body color it blends in well.Will get you a product name.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Hawghauler

I haven't used any on a truck, but I work in a very water intensive enviroment, and I've tried some of the spray bed liners in various places. All of them have failed. Including rhinolining. I found the best stuff to be hurculiner. Costs about $90.00 for a gallon kit,(O'reilly auto parts or Lowes) and it's lasted for six years even with equipment(forklifts, carts, etc) running over it. It's not as soft as rhino and not as hard as linex. No matter what you use though, prep is everything. Get as much rust off as possible, degrease well then apply at least two coats.

I've also learned that the expensive guys don't always back up their warrantees!

Either way,
Good Luck
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Not wanting to take this thread off too far but as I said a bit ago I used some cheap spray can liner, although its lasted a couple years I eventually want to get it done right. For those that have rhino or linex did you have the top rail done? I'm thinking of getting it done to just inside the top rail, that area usually gets scratched anyway. I've already touched up the paint there several times, kinda anal I know! Anyone have pics of theirs and where it was taped off? Pics of any with the top rail coated? This will be on my 4X4, I'm thinking it may look alright even if I went right over the rail and down 1/2" or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine was done by LineX and it does come down over the outside a 1/2 inch. It protects the paint from leaning over the side to get stuff out of the truck. I built this truck to tow a boat and go camping in. The LineX is a little harder than the other brands and will take more abuse.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
GMCJOE

In my experience the professional spray in liners are superior. I helped a friend do one on his Dakota with the roll on stuff he got from Walmart. It took us a day with wire wheel on his grinder to do the bed up before we applied the lining. I think we rolled on 5 or 6 coats of it before we called it quits. It has held up quite well to the abuse that he has put it thru. Looks like the day we rolled it on, except for the fact it has faded a little bit giving it a grey tint. His is the only roll on that I have found to actually hold up so far. Partly because of how much prep we put into it, and the many coats.

In my opinion, go with the professional. Check out some of your local dealerships, they seem to have the better prices if they have the service. One of them in my area does truck beds for $350 to the rail the last time I checked, and I think they charge another $100 for over the rail. Non-dealers are charging $450-500 just to the rail. I had a Linex done on my 04 Silverado, couldn't beat the quality of it. A lot better than a DIY.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
dojo

My bed was in pretty good shape, but, we are going with Line-X. They said they could match the Bittersweet orange real close. I will post pics when it is done.
Attached Images

dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #22
chicksdigit

Line-x, rhino fades pretty bad from my experience unless they have recently started using some kind of UV protection like line-x.
Posted via Mobile Device
chicksdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

I bought a kit from my auto body supplier that worked really nice- I did the floor and trunk pan of my 68 camaro vert. Seems like the kit was $125 or so and had 4 quarts of material that I applied with a schotz gun. EZ to put on and looks great.
I would never use the roll on Auto Zone type products. They look like hell.
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
calvin78612

Check out Rapter bed liner.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #25
bbadfred
bbadfred

MY rustoleum brand is pretty tough and so far sticking very well!
bbadfred is offline   Reply With Quote