The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
BOXER957

66 shorty step Easy project....what was I thinking?

OK boys and girls, gather round for what is sure to be an entertaining adventure in the life of wtf have I done?! AGAIN! So I stumbled across this site while looking for info on my other build (46 chevy 1/2 ton shorty) and I got to thinking...ok, that's when I should have stopped. (Me thinking is one thing, me doing is usually in my experience a bad thing) The 46 my Dad bought (46 being the year he was born) in 1969 with the intentions on leaving it to me.. Fast forward 30 or so years and...Well he did, he tore it apart, every nut and bolt, then he moved to Fl. and left me the truck...or pile of parts anyway...so this being part of the family is getting the complete everything treatment..as fast as I can move, which will take..years. ....A little background on me, I've got degenerative disc disease, so far I have 14 discs that are a complete mess, I'm 100% disabled, and my life is a constant mix of pain/nerve meds, doctors and a lot of time in the recliner on an ice pack. The doc's say sit in a chair and don't do anything..I say put a bullet in me first! OK back on track. So I found this site, poked around a bit and started thinking it would be nice to have a truck from the year I was born 1966!(I've wanted one since I was a kid and used to sit in my neighbors truck and pretend I was driving) Something that I can throw together and bop around in while I finish up the 46, then I'd focus on the 66...What a great idea!!! THAT day I checked out c-list and found a 66 shorty step about 2 hours away. It had been sitting for sale for awhile and I figure the only reason it hadn't sold was because in the pics it was missing all kinds of parts...well he had them in his garage so the wouldn't get ruined or stolen. ALSO the very same day, a 1987 chevy1/2 ton with a 350/700r4 2wd and an aftermarket 2 1/2" dropped a-arm kit, a dual exhaust set up with 3 sets of high end mufflers and a rebuilt 12 bolt posi to boot, all for cheap money....This all adds up to me to be a sign from GOD! This is just too good to be true...everything I need... the day I start looking...all for short $$...Well follow along kiddies, as soon as I can figure out how to post pics we'll be on our way. Keep in mind the pain, the meds, the back spasms, the weather, all of this and more promise to make for an entertaining ride
Old 09-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
BOXER957

Re: 66 shorty step Easy project....what was I thinking?

The day I brought this wonderful prize home
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
BOXER957

The donor truck
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
BOXER957

I was originally planning on a complete front crossmember swap but when my fingers went through the rot I decided on just changing out the a-arm kit
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
BOXER957

First problem...as I was happily cutting wires to remove the donor engine a thought stumbled through my mind...This seems to be a lot of wires I'm cutting. That's when I realized it was tbi not carbureted as I was told. I was too busy google eyeing the suspension that I never even looked under the hood. I turned the key, it purred like a kitten, load her up. after further inspection I found out it also is not a 350 but a 305...so now it's let's find a new motor time. Since ya'll like pictures so much I'll throw one in of the motor and tranny coming out. Anybody want to buy a nice running 305 tbi?
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
McMurphy

Good to see you have graduated from Thread Surfer to Project Builder, and what a project you have there !!!

Too bad about the engine being a 305....although they were a fine motor, IMO they just did not did not have the HP to weight ratio to make them worth the time and effort to build up.

Despite your limitations, you seem to be doing very well at this.
If you have not read through Markb's thread, I highly recommend it for ideas on how to better utilize lifting tools you already have to achieve steps you would normally need 2 people for. He is a well seasoned veteran of this sort of thing !!

Good Luck on this, I hope you are in for the pound, since you already laid out the penny !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
BOXER957

Murph, I read your build, took hours, actually commented on it today. Thanks for stopping by. I will read up on his post , thank you. I am so used to working alone having an extra hand sometimes confuses me, but if someone has better ideas than I've come up with over the years ( which wouldn't be too hard) I'm all on it. Thanks again and please , stop by any time!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
BOXER957

Nose and motor removed from 66, bed off, time to see what I've really gotten myself into.....errr anybody smart would be buying stock in cpp right about now I got lots of sandblasting and welding and parts to buy...yup, here we go
Old 09-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
BOXER957

4 days of sandblasting, my c10 is now a c8 (shaved 1/2 second off the 1/4 I bet!) Thank God I only rent this place, I'd hate to make this mess in my own yard! I'm tore up from the floor up so I planned on a relaxing day painting all the freshly blasted parts...However...weather now calls for 3 days of rain, it started last night. So I numbed up my back and my brain,headed out to the garage to paint the small pieces and found that while I spent 3 days blasting my frame, my compressor spent 3 days spitting oil all over my freshly blasted small parts. So...now is as good a time as ever to start my build thread. If you look close you can see the oil marks on everything. Looking forward to some input, criticism, laughter, whatever.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
BOXER957

That's it for now. I'll keep plugging away taking pictures as I go. Looking forward to any and all pointers, input, smack in the head, whatever. To the rest of you out there keep on keepin on, I'm reading your builds and stealin your ideas...some of them anyway. A LOT of very talented people here WAY out of my league but I'll gladly try to follow as close as I can. Hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
da_bears_da1

Very happy that you started your thread. Looking forward to following along. When I set up my compressor last fall and started to put oil in the feeder my buddy told me to not go there, it will spit oil all over the place. If it had not been for him, I would have been right there with you

Good luck with the back! You are a trooper for doing what you do. Having suffered through a ruptured disc once, I can appreciate how tough it can be and mine was just one.

Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures! Agree with Murph, good to go from surfer to builder!

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
BOXER957

Thumbs up Re: 66 shorty step Easy project....what was I thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 View Post
Very happy that you started your thread. Looking forward to following along. When I set up my compressor last fall and started to put oil in the feeder my buddy told me to not go there, it will spit oil all over the place. If it had not been for him, I would have been right there with you

Good luck with the back! You are a trooper for doing what you do. Having suffered through a ruptured disc once, I can appreciate how tough it can be and mine was just one.

Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures! Agree with Murph, good to go from surfer to builder!
Thanks! I do my best. I just replaced the dipstick on the compressor and this one has breather holes.Don't know if the old one did or not it broke off so long ago. I had a sheet thrown over it before to stop the oil, thought the new dipstick would solve the problem. Then again all that sandblasting ,she was running pretty steady for awhile and heating up. Surprised she was petering out before me. I'm going back to the sheet for the time being. Thanks for tuning in, I need all the support/motivation I can get!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
BOXER957

Well I found out my "Rebuilt 12 bolt posi" is first, not posi, second.....I don't believe the rear is supposed to leak out the front seal like this.....I'm hanging on to it for now just in case I have problems with the stock rear in my truck. I'd hate to junk it , then have to buy one. That and thanks to Murph, I'm afraid I might need a fender, glove box door or piece of roof for some crazy yet ingenious mod.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Low Elco

Whoof! Thats a project! Have you heard of that doc in TX that basically grows you a new disc? Pretty cool, 85% success rate. Saw it on tv, wish I had more info. He's at one of the universities.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
BOXER957

Thumbs up Re: 66 shorty step Easy project....what was I thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Whoof! Thats a project! Have you heard of that doc in TX that basically grows you a new disc? Pretty cool, 85% success rate. Saw it on tv, wish I had more info. He's at one of the universities.
Can't afford 1 never mind 14! After my 1st operation they found out that I'm one of the lucky few whose body creates too much scar tissue, every 2 weeks another layer grows..slowly squeezing my spinal cord. I'm just lucky we found out before they did the rest of my spine! I thought I was bad now, I can't even imagine. Thank you though for thinking of me.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Ta2Don

I'm in on your build!!!
Welcome to your new addiction...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
I'm in on your build!!!
Welcome to your new addiction...
Come on in, plenty of room! Thanks for the welcome, and yes what was supposed to be a quickie so I could get back to my main project is now becoming my new "Addiction" Always loved this style truck and am happy to have it. Let's see how good I do
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Great progress so far on a nice looking truck!

Don’t feel too bad about the oil splatter. The last time I painted my truck I was about ready to shoot the last coat on the left rear quarter of the truck when I had to stop for a paint gun refill. Like a complete first timer, I failed to disconnect the hose as I mounted the gun in the rack. After filling the cup with paint, I stepped on the hose and threw an entire quart of paint all over the back fender, cab, bed, etc. I’d classify that one as a three day mess because that’s how long it took to clean everything up and reshoot the damaged section. The picture doesn’t do it justice, it looked much worse in real life!

That looks like a very cool front suspension setup. Do you know what brand it is?

One tip for painting small parts in bad weather – use a pair of heat lamps. I have two permanently mounted over the bench where I paint, and adjust the distance from the object being painted depending on what I’m doing. This also works perfectly for applying wrinkle finish paint. The metal can be brought up to oven temperatures before shooting the paint, which guarantees a uniform wrinkle.

They can be seen on both sides above these recently painted wheels:

Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #19
BOXER957

Good tip Mark, Thanks. I re-blasted all the little parts today and got them painted my shop looks like a Christmas tree with parts hanging everywhere. The front end is supposed to be a JDM 2 1/2" drop a-arm kit. It's relatively new, all new bushings and sway-bar. I'm leaving that off until I get the cab patched up. I figure it'll be easier to get around and get to whatever I need to get to.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
step65

Great progress will be watching your build thanks for sharing. Had the same thing happen to me was told rearend was posi turned out nope.
Posted via Mobile Device
step65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #21
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by step65 View Post
Great progress will be watching your build thanks for sharing. Had the same thing happen to me was told rearend was posi turned out nope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ever seen one leak out the front like that? I had the truck on the trailer bouncing around and it had no shocks in it, do you think that could have caused the front seal to tear up? I've never heard of it but it wasn't leaking when I winched it up onto the trailer. When I got home and started rolling it off, as soon as it hit an angle it was pissing out NEW fluid. The kid swears it was just rebuilt by some shop, hence the new fluid....but then again he lied about everything else so???? I jacked it up, everything seems tight, definitely not posi. but it was tight, had fresh fluid and was not the original.....I just don't know if it's worth keeping for any reason. What's killing me is I just trashed a 12 bolt posi from a 70 nova that had been sitting in my yard for years and I do believe that would have fit this truck...
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #22
pimpston65

too bad your running into such issues with your build, that being said i bought my 65 swb big window stepper i 98' and im just now as of 8/31/13 can take pics of a rolling chassis. Can you tell me how to upload pic i have tons but only from my iphone. Back to your build through the yrs i been staching parts from everywhere and i do mean everywhere, ive done my homework on my truck to the point i know where and how every nut,bolt,screw,bracket,brace etc should look and go. It gets to me sometime, but i think if u look at is as a time to enjoy and the friends,knowledge,respect for taking on such a project you get from such a build all the headaches will be just part of it,take from me, so with that said enjoy your build ad keep the pics coming...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #23
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
too bad your running into such issues with your build, that being said i bought my 65 swb big window stepper i 98' and im just now as of 8/31/13 can take pics of a rolling chassis. Can you tell me how to upload pic i have tons but only from my iphone. Back to your build through the yrs i been staching parts from everywhere and i do mean everywhere, ive done my homework on my truck to the point i know where and how every nut,bolt,screw,bracket,brace etc should look and go. It gets to me sometime, but i think if u look at is as a time to enjoy and the friends,knowledge,respect for taking on such a project you get from such a build all the headaches will be just part of it,take from me, so with that said enjoy your build ad keep the pics coming...
Everything in life has it's obstacles to overcome, normally I wouldn't have mentioned it but people here want details so I figure I'll tell the story step by step how it goes. That and after reading quite a few other builds the ones that start at the beginning and detail the step by step motions are more entertaining. It's kind of like having a journal that not only you but the rest of the world can go back and follow along watching a true novice learn and grow, making new friends as it goes along. Glad to know you know where everything goes! I have a garage full of pieces, can you draw me a picture of how to put them back together? Thanks for stopping by, come back again whenever you feel, the door is always open!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #24
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------For pics , go to Projects and builds, there is one tilted Anyone building a truck must read. Read the replies, one of them has a link to FAQ that should take care of you. Is there any way of downloading your pics onto your computer?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Jmorales3181

Cool project and welcome to our addiction. I too suffer from degenerated discs but am still able to work full time. Hope I can make it another 30 or so yrs those obstacles you are encountering are just learning experiences. This really is an awesome site and with the help of all the awesome people and knowledge I am slowly turning one of my dreams to reality.
Keep jammin man
Posted via Mobile Device