The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2015, 05:17 AM   #1
smitroc

1972 C10 2wd LWB First Timer Tangerine Dream

Hey ya'll just like it says I picked up a 72 C10 long a little over a week ago. 307 V8... It's a dog of an engine but considering its age it screams pretty good. Nonetheless a vortec replacement is in its future. We're keeping the TH350 and 12bolt rear yay! Have to double check that and the gearing...
Anyway the frame minus 1 trailing arm looks good... Body has lots to be desired though and thought I would share as many pics as possible so ya'll could help me get started in the right direction. It'll be a weekend driver for showing off and making my kids go oooooo... No big deal really just a nice summer daily driver for Alaska... Winter garaged lol. Anyway on to the pics
Attached Images

smitroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #2
smitroc

Re: 1972 C10 2wd LWB First Timer Tangerine Dream

Sorry about the separate posts... Still figuring out the forum
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
smitroc

307 that's going!
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #4
smitroc

307 again
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
smitroc

Bushings are shot
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2015, 05:21 AM   #6
smitroc

Bed rails and lots of sheet for the doors/bed shot too
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #7
smitroc

I think all in all she looks good... Frame rust is minimal if you don't count that trailing arm... I'm thinking of getting that sandblasted and rustbullet it to start... Brakes and suspension then throw that so-so body back on until I can afford top notch body work... Get that tranny rearend and motor in then calling it good until money grows on trees for better body/paint?
Old 10-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #8
smitroc

I did get the rotors and bearings done... Master and brake booster next... Just want to make sure it can be a daily driver if need be... The body is going to be my main thrust though... Got a mig, bottle, soda media, etc on order to begin that... Should be here within a week... Anyhow some progress is good progress as i see it!!!
Check out that old rotor!!!! Looks like the rings of Saturn!!! And there was a steel nail where the cotters should have been in the spindle through the castle nut!!! Awesome!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
trac209

Looks like a good project so far. The way you can attack a truck build is by first deciding how much money and time you have really. If either are no object then go for a full frame off. Personally I'd fix that trucks rust issues first as they will only get worse. Then make it road worthy.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
smitroc

Ya trac was thinking of getting start on that rust... not too many donor trucks up here to choose from. Shipping on replacement panels to AK is murder. Any ideas on a budget friendly way to go about it? I was thinking just starting from the rear and working my way forward one piece at a time. got a mig welder on order.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:09 AM   #11
smitroc

My only other avenue is thankfully I work for Ak Airlines and get dirt cheap shipping. But I'd need some on the receiving end in the lower 48 to be able to get to an ak air warehouse for cargo and they could then ship to me at no cost to them and I pay my employee rate when it shows here... Imagine it'd be hard to get complete strangers to sign on for something like that though.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
smitroc

You'll be happy to know Trac i've begun the body inspection to see where the cancer needs attention... Rockers are in better shape than i thought! Inner lower door skin and outer lower door skin leave much to be desired... With being in Alaska and murderous patch panel shipping i'm going to need to get a comprehensive list together before i start work and fly down to get the panels i need to ship back on my bennies... Oh well, a trip to the lower 48 in winter is like going to Miami for us Alaskans! Just need to find the best patch panel joint in terms of quality and selection of parts... Feel free to suggest away folks... Gonna need door skins, possibly the entire pass door, wheel wells bed, some patch panel lower front and rear cab, floor pans, inner and outer rockers(i know just because they look decent doesn't mean they don't carry the cancer!), bed rails, possibly cab mounts, drip rail does anyone make this part?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #13
smitroc

Driver door off
Attached Images