The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
kipps

2010 dash swap

Have a complete 2010 tahoe donor. 5.3 going into a squarebody.

Considering moving the gauges over to the square, but not sure if it's even possible.

If I understand correctly, the PCM sends data to the BCM, and the BCM outputs to the stepper motors in the instrument cluster. Is there a way to eliminate the BCM, or limit its function to just converting data from the PCM?

Any threads or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
dec010974

Re: 2010 dash swap

hello kipps. if it were me trying to accomplish this fete i would use the bcm. it would be easier to integrate them all into your LSx swap. the bcm is the communicator. if you do try this, post your project on the thread.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
LH Lead-Foot

If you do not have access to GM service information, you will have a big surprise. The BCM is also the power mode master. These signal are inputs from a mutil-plex ignition switch and if not correct, things don't work right. Yes, class2 data from the PCM is part going to the IPC with engine data, but a different class2 goes into the BCM. The BCM will not turn on a MIL or check engine light, but would turn on vehicle service soon. It is required to operate the dash using class2 data and GM uses there own circuit design and chip's to read, de-code and direct traffic on the bus. I am doing something similar but using the drivers door module, passengers door module to also get RKE, and the BCM for content theft as VATS is deleted during an LS swap. Using a monetary switch, in place of the "Flash to pass" feature on the turn signal lever (Multi-function-Sw.), will allow me to change personalization for door lock operation, external light flashing, plus horn or no horn when locking or in-locking, plus driving to 8 mph, doors lock, etc. The ignition switch provide the BCM with 5 power modes that allows is to wake up modules, using the VIN, followed by the address for the module, then the message or command. It could be done, but it will take hours of planning. I taught this for ACDelco in class and 4 hour tech seminars across the mid-west for a decade. Retired now.
LH Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
gabe2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Have a complete 2010 tahoe donor. 5.3 going into a squarebody.

Considering moving the gauges over to the square, but not sure if it's even possible.

If I understand correctly, the PCM sends data to the BCM, and the BCM outputs to the stepper motors in the instrument cluster. Is there a way to eliminate the BCM, or limit its function to just converting data from the PCM?

Any threads or suggestions are welcome!

The easiest way is to put Tahoe's complete instrument cluster and just pug and play. Need to modify the dashboard of course.
the most expensive way to send the cluster to Dakota instrument and they will custom built one that is plug/play. Cost about $1000.
Posted via Mobile Device
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
kipps

LH-Leadfoot, so a careful reading of your post indicates the PCM does send data directly to the cluster. Is this basically a one-wire hookup, like it seems like it should be?

What "wakes up" the cluster? An ignition 12v? The PCM? The BCM? If it's the BCM, I might be screwed.

You indicate that the BCM also sends data to the cluster. I'm thinking that I don't want any of that data. I'm not using keyless entry, power locks, mirrors, radio, AC, etc, etc. Can I simply leave the BCM out of the equation altogether? All I want is to connect the cluster to the PCM and get the basic gauges functioning(odometer, speedo, tach, oil, temp, fuel, volts). A few other cluster functions would be nice, but not critical.

I cannot find a pinout diagram anywhere for the cluster. Any ideas? I have not demolished the dash in the donor yet, so I could still reverse-engineer the harness.

I'm aware that using the new cluster would necessitate using the fuel pump module and the fuel system control module to send proper fuel level data to the PCM.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
ls1nova71

Theres not going to be any way to hard wire the gauges in that cluster, its all sent on the CAN BUS, so unless you're really dedicated to doing this, it just isnt going to be worth the hassle. It can be done but its a LOT of wiring, and will require the BCM. ...

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

why not just use your stock dash.?..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
why not just use your stock dash.?..
Where's the fun in that? Why not just use the stock 350 tbi?

Also, the stock dash doesn't have a tach.

Isn't the whole point of this forum to have as modern of a truck as possible without spending money?

Seriously, if using the 2010 dash will require $500 worth of special black boxes, I won't do it. But if with a little elbow grease and head scratchin', I can pull the entire fuel pump system and dash over from the donor for cheaper than aftermarket bits, why not?