The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
67'ShortMonster

67 SWB with must II front & 4 link rear.

Hey...
I am building up the chassis for my 67 SWB and have been pondering over how to go about the suspension.
Gonna power it with a 454 and th400, rear end is a 9 inch... I was gonna go with bags all four corners, do the crossmember notch... swap over to 88-91 spindles ect on the front. ect ect.... just like everyone else.
The machinist that helps me with all the odd ball stuff, suggested that if i need to buy the bags, spindles... upgrade to new crossmembers, shorten my frame, and that i am building a tri-anglulated 4 link for the rear, he suggested i go mustang II front end and go coil overs at all four corners. I plan to have the truck sit fairly low... probably like a 5/7 drop... 20" wheels. so i have to notch the rear. I dug into the idea of a mustang II and the coil over's idea, and found that once i bought all the parts, realistically, i would be into it for the same price. So i decided to try and make it work.
Anyone have any knowedge they can pass on about the idea before i figure out everything the hard way... ?
67'ShortMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
EyeH8the24

Re: 67 SWB with must II front & 4 link rear.

i am doin the mustang 2 cross member as well...i have a hiedts cross member ....would be thankful for any advice from people who have done this on a 67 - 72.....
EyeH8the24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
EyeH8the24

ttt
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
67'ShortMonster

I was looking at that crossmember, and the one from fatman fabrications. Ended up that there is a guy here in town that has all the mustang two crossmember patterns. It sure would be nice to get some dimensions to compare to off of your crossmember. Our basic plan is to strip all the suspension off the truck. The roughly put all the mustang II stuff together along with the wheels then set it all on the floor and set all the positions for everything... ride height ect. Going for a 5/7 drop with 20's in the end. I am not quite sure on the coil overs i will be using yet... looking into Qa1's... Waiting until we can set everything up first so i can get the right length of c/o without guessing. So, if you know how the crossmember fits, and the length of the needed coil over's that would be great. Doesn't look like many other people here are doing it this way....
It's good to know at least one person is around in the same boat as me and willing to yack about it a bit.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Fatman just came out with a bolt on kit for your truck. Looks pretty good.
Heres a link to a tech article
http://www.webrodder.com/article.php...8802e365d549d8
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Here you go, this 1 looks beeefy..... http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/pu6.html nothing wrong with the "poop stang II" , but the pcs look to be a little heavier on this one.... L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
EyeH8the24

i have the universal heidts cross member ...the deluxe one...it will take some trimming on the frame and cross member ..but so far looks like a sweet swap....no need for dropped spindles...aired out the bumper should be 1/2 inch off the ground...if we measured right...we are still measuring and fitting things...will be glad to send you measure ments from my cross member
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
Film Guy

Hi Guys, I'm in on this thread. This is exactly what I am doing right now. I currently have a 72 lwb. Changing to a swb. I have another frame that I have been welding on. Its from a swb. Problem is the suspension geomitry when you go very low with these trucks. I have the Art cool ride suspension on the lwb now. I used the e.c.e. rear track bar and shock relocators. Even bought new wheels w/ more back spacing so I can go low. Turns out the front end geometry goes out of wack. Bad neg camber. I got my new chassis (swb) set @ ride height now. Middle of frame (under cab) is 6 inches from the ground. I am running Toyo Proxies St 315/35/20 out back. They are approx 29" tall. So the center of my rear axel should be approx 14.5 inches from the ground. This means I need a step notch in the rear frame. I ordered a step notch from suisidedoors.com. I received the notch but have not installed yet. Front tires are 255/40/20. Front spindle center should be aprox 14 inches from the ground. With this kind of ride height I need a custom mustang II front suspension. I am looking @ fatman for a front suspension. Any sugestions. I can post pics.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
EyeH8the24

the fat man bolt on looks nice..only reason i went with heidts is cause i got one cheap ..175 for cross member and top hats....if i was gonna buy one at full price it would be a meyers or fat man
Old 12-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
67'ShortMonster

Both of those bolt on Mustang II crossmembers look good... and easier buying one than building something like what I am trying to do.... I just wonder what kind of drop they give ? Too bad i ordered most of my stuff already, it might have been easier to just order the kit.... if i had $3000... which i don't have for that. I hope to be into it for a lot less by the time i am done building everything.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67'ShortMonster
..look good... and easier buying one than building something like what I am trying to do.......
Good luck trying toi build one out of pieces and getting it right. Your going to be much better off buying one that has been engineered for your truck. Even the guys that build them for a living order kits that are already put together.

Here's the Scotts hot rod IFS under my 82 Blazer....
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #12
1976K5CHALET

N2trux...i see you are using the kit for your front end but what intriuges me is the whole frame appears to be cut off and a custom front clip if you will has been installed which leads me to question number 2...is that an newer LT1 lurking under there? Early this year one of the 4wd rags did a article on how to fit one in your 81 up k5....looks like this is the better way to go...

Doug W.
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #13
EyeH8the24

im curious about your front clip as well as what arms you used ? the ylook longer than the arms i am looking at....was thinkin of the shorter arms so i could turn a lil more when aired down ....but not aired out ...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #14
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

looks like an LS1 not LT1...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
67'ShortMonster

I know a guy that has all the patterns for the mustang II crossmember... He is gonna remake it to fit my application.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #16
EyeH8the24

about what does he charge for makin ya one ? i am gonna need another one really soon....
Old 12-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #17
67'ShortMonster

They said it should be right around $200, I'll see if they hold to that though. Hope to have it on by christmas, once it's done i hope to have cad drawings of the crossmember to fit the 67-72 era. I'll see if he is willing to build them to sell them.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976K5CHALET
N2trux...i see you are using the kit for your front end but what intriuges me is the whole frame appears to be cut off and a custom front clip if you will has been installed which leads me to question number 2...is that an newer LT1 lurking under there? Early this year one of the 4wd rags did a article on how to fit one in your 81 up k5....looks like this is the better way to go...

Doug W.
Yes, N2TRUX's front frame rails are custom pieces that were fabbed specifically to place the 'Scott's' front end exactly where it needed to be. And FirstGen is right.... it's an LS1.

The guys that are building Kens Blazer would use a 'kit' if there was one available but the parameters set for his build-up necessitated using that front end. If they had it to do over again, I don't think they would use Scotts stuff.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #19
Film Guy

Ok, so I talked to the guy up @ jim meyer racing about their front crossmember. What a jerk. I felt like after the conversation I would not buy a thing from them. Maybe he was having a bad day. I will try fat man on monday. What other options do I have for this project. I don't mind a weld in kit.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Guy
.... What other options do I have for this project. I don't mind a weld in kit.
Art Morrison has 'front-clip' kits as well as 'crossmember' kits. One kit has rails, the other doesn't. I believe they can bend whatever kick-up you want for the rails too but I'm not sure what the limitations are.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #21
turmoline

I hope the pic worked. I have the fatman bolt in mustang II.stage 2 kit. Real easy to work with. the pic is with standard spindles. The truck handles real well with the spring set up. I tried running 2" drop spindles to get the truck to ride a little lower but the tires would rub pretty bad while cornering. Iam currently going to experiment with air bags to see how the performance changes. the tracking width narrows from stock with this setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by turmoline; 12-04-2005 at 01:31 PM.
turmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #22
turmoline

here's another pic
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #23
SCOTI

What are your front wheel/tire specs? That might help some people w/a reference on ride height.

Looks good BTW.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #24
67'ShortMonster

Can someone tell me if the frame rails under the cab, where they are parrallel, sit parrallel with the ground for a 5/7 drop at ride height....
Old 12-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #25
turmoline

specs are as follows 245/40/20 with 0 offset.