The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
snyder66

Questions to ask before first purchase?

Well, I'm a bit of an amateur, so here goes. Could I get some advice on what to ask about a truck in this age range. Assuming that I can see most of the issues myself. I am also assuming this will be an Ebay purchase. Very rarely do I see a 67-72 Chevy on craigslist or anywhere else near me. Thanks
snyder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Questions to ask before first purchase?

Apart from the obvious stuff like is there rust in all the usual places, it does depend on what your after, do you have a particular Truck in mind?...a stepper,fleetside, short or longbed, which year body style do you prefer, also are you looking for a daily driver or a project. If you have more of an idea of what you want you can narrow your questions down a bit and what to look out for.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
snyder66

Looking for a long bed, 4x4, daily driver. I don't know enough about the year differences, but I really like the 67-72s
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Well i'm no expert so others may chime in here, do you care if it's a numbers matching 4x4? has it been a workhorse all it's life? if so maybe there has been a lot of wear & tear on the engine and drive train, has any of that been replaced over the years? mileage? how many owners? major accidents?
Rust areas...the bed, cab corners, rocker panels and cab floor where it meets the kick panels etc...67-72's all had different front ends and all had different trim packages this is something you may want to research a bit.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
71swb4x4

What is your budget? Spend all of your budget on as solid of a body as you can. Most people can learn how to bolt a new bench seat in, or install a new motor, but body work seems to be the biggest challenge.
If you have $4,000 to spend, look southwest. But a solid $3,000 truck from Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California, etc and have it shipped back. If it has a solid body you can plug away at the other problems as you get money. That body work is easily the most expensive part.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
snyder66

I'm willing to go up to the $6000 plus range for the right truck. I'd like to find one as original as I can. When I read all of the engine specs, I do get confused about what is original and what's not. I would be happy buying a truck from the West, but I wouldn't trust buying one on craigslist. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Most people can learn how to bolt a new bench seat in, or install a new motor, but body work seems to be the biggest challenge.
This is an excellent point that 71 made...body work is a skill all on it's own.
If it makes you feel any better about having to buy your Truck from miles away and having it shipped, then just take me as an example, I bought mine on the strength of a video I saw of it in a dealership in Illinois then had it shipped all the way over here to the U.K

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
snyder66

I would definitely buy from a dealership, but I would never send money to Joe Schmo in Idaho. Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

It's "Buyer Beware", for anything automotive. There are honest sellers, and there are others trying to get rid of their problem.

Have you looked at this site and checked out the trucks for sale? I'm not going to say that you wouldn't end up with a problem, but most of the members here are gonna shoot straight. Complete, running trucks in good condition (physically) are not necessarily cheap, but you get what you pay for.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 02-23-2011 at 06:41 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

If you want one that is out of reasonable travel distance, call on your truck board buddies to go check it out for you and report back. You will get good feedback since the person looking will give you the real scoop without sugar coating anything.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
cdowns

over the years with old cars i've found if you ask questions that over 75% of the time the answers you get are lies or exagerations

nothing compares to crawling under a vhicle and seeing feeling for yourself
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Jones View Post
If you want one that is out of reasonable travel distance, call on your truck board buddies to go check it out for you and report back. You will get good feedback since the person looking will give you the real scoop without sugar coating anything.
Take Jerry's advice on a long-distance purchase. I have looked at a truck for a boardmember from Canada, and a boardmember from California looked at a truck for me. Both times we saved each other a lot of hassle. People on this board do this exact thing quite regularly.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Look in the classifieds here on the BB.Most of the sellers will be up front about what the truck needs,they usually aren't watching Barret Jackson except to see what fools pay for stuff and your research is just a click away.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
mstrav1973

[QUOTE=snyder66;4507197]I would definitely buy from a dealership, but I would never send money to Joe Schmo in Idaho. Thanks[/Q

I live in Idaho!! Buying on Ebay isnt the best idea as your buying site un seen. You need to spend a month doing research and once you have a few within the distance you are willing to drive, you go on a road trip and bring a friend that can help disect the truck with you. I bought mine in Oregon after a (2) month search and looking at 5 trucks. None of which were closer then 50 miles of me. I towed mine home even though it was drivable, since it was 500 miles away. Dealership for a purchase of a 67-72?

Here it is now!!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #15
mstrav1973

Also, if you are willing to pay shipping you will open up your options. With a 6000k budget, you can get a decent long bed 4x4. It usually is around $1.00 per mile for shipping.

Matt