The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #426
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Nice score! Have the other style in my 72 super. And I'm watching another setup that is over 160 right now on ebay...
You got a link for that ebay set up? I'd like to watch that also.
Quote:
Oh and nice progress on the sanding too
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67shortie View Post
Here is what I would do with the low spots, the parts of the fill primer that you still see the orange peel and guide coat on the panels. These spots will show as waves/dents on the final finish and you should address them now.

Take evercoats poly fill (it's in the garage now for the exact name but I can't find it) the can is a smaller blue one, the product is white in color and catalyzed. It spreads like smooth filler and used for low filling needs like yours.

Use this to fill all of the low spots sand with 80/150/220 and re prime with filler primer and reblock. This is the way I have fixed low spots in the past on problem areas like yours. Even more important on black cars which the whole panel will get skimmed and blocked before primer.

For the smaller rounded corner blocking I have used a tightly wrapped scrap of carpet and curve sandpaper around it. It worked for me quite well.

Finish detail like this will make a big difference in the final product
Thanks for the info. I've also had a couple people suggest a product called slick sand, that is probably similar.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-01-2011 at 12:45 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #427
VA72C10
VA72C10

actually it already ended... 160+25 shipping...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #428
67shortie
Green club

Slick sand is actually a filler primer which some of those spots are too low for, you will need to address them with a filler like polyfill.

Believe me, I know how you feel about sanding, it's very tedious but very rewarding in the end

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #429
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
actually it already ended... 160+25 shipping...
No wonder I couldn't find it. Looks like I got a screaming deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67shortie View Post
Slick sand is actually a filler primer which some of those spots are too low for, you will need to address them with a filler like polyfill.

Believe me, I know how you feel about sanding, it's very tedious but very rewarding in the end
I hear you. I have some low spots that I know I have to use filler for, but those other ones that are just so close to being sanded out now, it just seemed that filler was going to be too much. If I can just spot them with primer and have it block out I'll be happy.

Looks like I'm taking most of the day off tomorrow. Yippy, more sanding!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #430
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I finished sanding the passenger side this morning. I finally had some help show up.

That's Bonnie from Bonneville, and if your not familiar with this little truck board member, read here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...380490&page=48

Then I used some Metal Glaze on any significant low spot (after scuffing them with some 80 grit), and sanded again. I roughed it in with a 40 grit disc on my random orbital, very carefully. Then blocked it with 80 grit and then longboard with 180.

Next was some more high build primer. This time I used the summit brand stuff, and it has way more solids than the other stuff I used. I have a 1.8 tip and it barely flows through that, compared to the other stuff I've sprayed. I just hit the low spots and waiting a bit before I go spray the whole side.

Here's Bonnie again doing his thang...

I think that the blocking after this should be pretty straight. At least thats what I'm hoping for.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #431
VA72C10
VA72C10

So did you shoot the entire truck one more time or just the spots? Looking good!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #432
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
So did you shoot the entire truck one more time or just the spots? Looking good!
Did the spots first, then the whole side, 2 coats on most of it, 3 on the hood.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #433
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks super slick! How do you feel seeing it now? Can you notice the difference even without the guide coat? I know I did when we sprayed our last coat of primer before sealer and paint.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #434
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks good! Glad to see Bonnie showed up at your place...cool pics.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #435
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Looks super slick! How do you feel seeing it now? Can you notice the difference even without the guide coat? I know I did when we sprayed our last coat of primer before sealer and paint.
Thanks. How do I feel? Tired mostly. It's not as slick as it looks because it was still wet then. I honestly didn't notice much for lows and highs the first time. The sanding will show them up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looks good! Glad to see Bonnie showed up at your place...cool pics.
Thanks. We have a few things planned for Bonnie.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #436
nuke1

truck looks amazing, i can not believe how far it has come along, Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up and soon there should be paint on herr.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #437
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
truck looks amazing, i can not believe how far it has come along, Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up and soon there should be paint on herr.
Come on down and spray it for me. Please. Pretty please? Pretty please with a cherry and whip cream on top?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #438
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I just keep plugging away on it. Yesterday I got about an hour, so I started filling the tailgate low spots with metal glaze. I had enough time to get the top edge pretty good and knock it down with 80 grit. Just so you know, that inset part in the middle has several places where there are spot welds and the way the gate is put together, there are a lot of dips and highs through there. I had no dents, but it took some work to flatten it all out. The spaces between the letters, and just under them are also low. It's just from forming the part in the presses and the metal 'memory' so they are not straight even new.

It wasn't quite ready yet, I had missed a couple spots and needed a bit more filler in a few tiny spots, so I worked on that today. Thankfully, the driver side of the bed was pretty straight. I filled some of those lows also and re-blocked everything.

I cleaned it all up and spot sprayed all of the low areas I had marked twice, then sprayed about 4 full coats of primer. The summit 2k primer is very thick. I started mixing it 4:1:1 even though they say not to reduce it for the max build. It just won't spray worth a dang though my gun with a 1.8 tip. I could do it for the spots, but not for the whole panel. So I ended up mixing it 4:1:2 and it flows pretty good at that, with a lot of air and the paint adjuster screw dialed out full. If I was going to spray more without reducer or use a product like slick sand, I'd have to get a gun with a bigger tip.

Anyway, the bed is pretty much ready for the next stage of blocking. I'll start working on the left front corner next.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-05-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #439
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks good from here

How's the feel?

I remember when we sprayed the last coat of primer...after we sanded with 80 grit it had an almost shine to it...it was so smooth....
Then I actually sanded with up to 200....I know it was overkill....but it really helped the paint to lay down super smooth...
Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #440
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

looking fantastic! your persistance and patience will pay off bigtime!
'06 KIA SPORTAGE EX - My Commuter

"All of this crap better make a truck!" - my wife Sue.

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
JasonBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #441
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Looks good from here

How's the feel?

I remember when we sprayed the last coat of primer...after we sanded with 80 grit it had an almost shine to it...it was so smooth....
Then I actually sanded with up to 200....I know it was overkill....but it really helped the paint to lay down super smooth...
Thanks. You must have been using finer grit than that. 80 grit is pretty rough and leaves some serious scratches. I started with 180 grit which is pretty smooth. I think I have 320 grit for the next stage and may still wet sand with 500 after that because I'm using a metallic paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBird View Post
looking fantastic! your persistance and patience will pay off bigtime!
Thanks! That's the plan.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-06-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #442
waylon.brown1

you got an awesome truck man, you are doin a heck of a job on the body work too! ive been doin body work for roughly 15 years, and yes, you should definetly wetsand the truck with 600 grit before you lay down your color. also, if i were you i would also use a sealer, most sealers come ready to spray with no mixing required and do not require sanding, you just let it flash for 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the air temp) then spray your basecoat, it also provides a nice solid base color for you to lay your metallic base over!

i love the long beds, mines a 71 LB, hope it turns out as nice as yours! keep it up!!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #443
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylon.brown1 View Post
you got an awesome truck man, you are doin a heck of a job on the body work too! ive been doin body work for roughly 15 years, and yes, you should definetly wetsand the truck with 600 grit before you lay down your color. also, if i were you i would also use a sealer, most sealers come ready to spray with no mixing required and do not require sanding, you just let it flash for 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the air temp) then spray your basecoat, it also provides a nice solid base color for you to lay your metallic base over!

i love the long beds, mines a 71 LB, hope it turns out as nice as yours! keep it up!!
Thanks, I've heard both 500 and 600 for the final wet sand. I did plan on a sealer also, but figured the painter would probably do that. Now I'm considering just doing it all myself, but will probably change my mind again a few times before all is said and done.

Good luck on your build. I wish more of the body guys would give more info on their builds about how this stuff is actually done and not just the results. That's why I have tried to put as much info in my thread as I can.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #444
waylon.brown1

well if u decide to do it all yourself and you have any questions look me up! ill be following your thread anyway! im in iraq right now with the army, comin home in september and cant wait to start on mine! for the paint all u need is a steady hand and patience! (oh and a quality HVLP gun)
Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #445
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Will do. Stay safe.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #446
VA72C10
VA72C10

Duh...yeah...I forgot 80 is what I use for grinding welds

Must have been late???

Yeah, think we ended up going to 600 right before spraying sealer then no touching between that and basecoat/clear.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #447
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Todays progress. I got the truck turned around for better access to the front left side. The fender was warped a bit around the wheel arch and pulled inward on the back side. Kind of annoying, but I've seen this on many trucks, which makes me think it has something to do with stresses and memory in the steel during forming.

Anyway, I thought it was excessive. This is with the ruler flat against the rocker.

I borrowed my neighbors port-a-power and made a wedge shaped block to fit the bottom corner, then cut a 2x4 to push against the kick panel vent box and hold the wedge down. Put the port-a-power against the frame and pumped it up. The first try helped, but most of the warp (for lack of a better term) came back. I tried again, pushed out a bit more, then used a hammer along the bottom of the panel to try and relieve some stress. That almost did it, but I thought it could be better. I pushed it out a 3rd time, a bit further yet, probably 1/2" past where it needed to be, then let it set for about 30 minutes while I did some sanding.

That did the trick, exactly where I wanted it.

The hood brace I added has done the trick also. I just had some cardboard stuffed in there for now until I buy some proper pads. I noticed today that it was almost perfectly flat now. The dip was around the 24" mark on the ruler.

I mentioned I did some sanding right? Because you never know, I might get to do other things at some point than sand. In case you missed it though I sanded some more.

Still have to do behind the door, top edge of the windshield, middle of the cowl and the driver rocker. Then filling, sanding and more primer. I might be able to get some paint spraying lessons from my neighbor. He's just a little ahead of me on his hot rod and will be spraying this month. I just asked him to let me know when so I can watch.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #448
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice work on that fender...and the hood came out well also!

Keep up the good work!

Did you ever watch overhaulin? Ever make you mad to think they got the car done in less than a week
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #449
nuke1

Great job!!!! Honestly, if I win the lottery on Friday, I will come spray your truck for you, would love to help a brother out, trust me, other than that the truck is really progressing, as a re you, you knowledge has come along way since the start. proud of you. That is why I love this board. super helpful. As for the sanding thing it is going great. If you are SURE that the truck is strait and nice how you want it, i usually wet sand in 500 which equals a 800 dryish sand jod. But when doing a full on show car, wet sand anywhere from 800 to 1200, lays super flat, but make sure that there is not a single imperfection there, it will show up!!!! Later.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #450
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks James. I appreciate it. I'm not looking for a show quality job. I know there are too many imperfections and I don't have the patience to correct them. My idea of "good enough" has changed a bit though and overall, I think it will come out pretty straight and flat. We'll see after I start the next round of sanding.

BTW, for the hell of it, I looked up a flight and I can get you here for about $650. I think it would be worth every penny.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-09-2011 at 09:19 AM.