The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Futom

1986 GMC 3/4T Longbed Stepside

This is our truck, been in the family for the duration. My father bought it new. He always had a liking for the stepside and it was important it could carry a fully sheet of plywood as he says....

We had an 81 long step with a 6cyl and 3 on the tree before he upgraded to this. It was a weird time for this, you all know that this year was transitional for carburetors and OD, turns out it was the last year you could get long bed step side. He wanted a good deal and had the country searched. They found this in Kansas I think, a farm truck ordered and then not purchased.

So what we have is a low option work truck. M code 350 LT9, SM465 granny tranny, AM radio, Power steering, Power brakes, A/C. It has a vinyl bench seat and 2 tanks. It is standard power booster brakes and the 9.5 semi-floating rear with 3.73s. Lastly it is 2wd and open!

Anyway it has been abused by years of neglect starting after I got out of college and gave it to my little bro. We are looking at it again with plans to get it running nicely. It'll probably wear the patina of abuse for awhile, but the mechanicals are going to get touched hard.

This is what it looked like 12 years ago when I handed it over.
Attached Images

Futom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Futom

Re: 1986 GMC 3/4T Longbed Stepside

The current status. Engine was run dry of coolant and overheated on the highway. Cracked a head. I still need to get the block checked out. The truck has been parked for 2 years since the head blew.

Depending on that I have some decisions to make. I want to go back in with the original block and build a 396 stroker. Use some Iron eagle heads and keep the flavor of the old truck with fun pumped up.

But if the block is cracked I may go to an iron block LSx 4.8-6.0
If that's the case I may look at using an NV4500. My goal is to get it 100% operational and solid and use some good sense to make it doable.

Here it is today-
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Futom

I look forward to getting help from the forum members!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
jpnh

poor old girl.unless money/space is no object and if the trans and other systems are still good it might make sense to get a usable /cheap 350 and swap it out you could do that in a weekend probably (seeing thats whats in there already) and drive it with not much cash out of pocket, untill you collect all the parts to swap it out with the stroker you build from the stock motor or the lsx conversion cool truck to start with not too far gone.i like it.good luck -jeff
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
walkerb

Nice truck! I have a Long stepper box off a 87 that I cant wait to use.
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Futom

thanks guys!

good advice Jeff. It would be the shortest path to driving it! I'm considering it.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Futom

Ahead of this project I have been working to make room so I can work on it. I need to move it from my brothers to my dads.

Dad has 2 old projects we needed to get rid of. The first was a 1964 Chevy long bed stepside and the other was a 1981 GMC longbed fleetside.

We sold the 81 locally for $200 to a fella but he literally disappeared. So I called "we buy junk cars" and they came out yesterday. Took 5 minutes for them to drag it through the yard on to the flatbed! fun! They were real insistent I make sure the battery and drivetrain be complete as well as exhaust. When we handed over the keys they gave us a check for $435! Money for the this project and more than we thought we would get.
RIP 1981 GMC 1/2ton
6 cylinder
3 on the tree
manual brakes

Now we are trying to find a home for the 64 locally.
6 cylinder
3 on the tree
manual brakes

I have most of a 62 in parts too, minus cab and bed. I even have the 283 4bbl hahaha
We'll see what happens to that.
Attached Images