The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
catch2otwo

Big Block vs Cummins Build

So I originally and still do want to do a cummins conversion to my 68 c10. I can find a donor truck right at around 3000, i can do most of the fab work myself. I really like the cummins motor, good mileage, great power, reliable.

Ive been thinking of the bb trucks more of late. I have strayed away from gas due to the poor gas mileage, and what seems like very high cost to have a motor built. If I were to do a mildly warmed over big block with fuel injection and a 5 spd manual, how would it stack up to the cummins? cummins would also be mildly warmed over.

Things like cost, reliability, torque, street manners etc?
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Nitis

Re: Big Block vs Cummins Build

Man that's a very tough comparison for sure. 3k for just an engine I imagine you will have at least half that again into a 5spd.

You going to use it as a tow rig?

The gasser will be much more fun to drive for sure. No turbo lag!

Heck for about the same money you can get a rebuilt 0 miles already wired 6.0 from lsx4u

Big blocks have a cool factor but so do cummins. I'm sure I was lots of help
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Nitis

Ok now I see whole truck but does it have the 5 speed?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
So I originally and still do want to do a cummins conversion to my 68 c10. I can find a donor truck right at around 3000, i can do most of the fab work myself. I really like the cummins motor, good mileage, great power, reliable.

Ive been thinking of the bb trucks more of late. I have strayed away from gas due to the poor gas mileage, and what seems like very high cost to have a motor built. If I were to do a mildly warmed over big block with fuel injection and a 5 spd manual, how would it stack up to the cummins? cummins would also be mildly warmed over.

Things like cost, reliability, torque, street manners etc?
Consider the weight of the Cummins and the springs you will need in the front. Diesels are notoriously heavy.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
slow-1

I always vote for a Chevy motor in a Chevy.

Plus diesels smell funny.

Just my $.02.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Nitis

Now don't get me wrong I've been clammoring for small displacement diesels for a long long time. A turbocharged 4bt in a c10 with a 6sp and some high gears would make a sweet commuter

Not trying to sway your thoughts but a 6.0 LS swap would be awesome
Old 01-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
67ctener

Gas vs diesel will never compare in my opinion. I think you nailed it on the head reliable, power, and fuel mileage vs. high cost, poor fuel mileage. I personally would never do a diesel swap unless I was wanting to build a k20 to tow with. Cummins motors are nice they just don't do it for me. Now if we were talking duramax...
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Bhelton

Cummins powered
Attached Images

Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
1972RedNeck

12 valve Cummins - good mileage, great power, reliable, simple, tough - what more do you want out of an engine?

400 HP with 900 ft. lbs. of torque is very easy to get and will still get just as good, if not better mileage than stock (when you're just cruising along an not using the added power of course).
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
Now don't get me wrong I've been clammoring for small displacement diesels for a long long time. A turbocharged 4bt in a c10 with a 6sp and some high gears would make a sweet commuter

Not trying to sway your thoughts but a 6.0 LS swap would be awesome
No offense to the lsx swap guys but its just not really my cup of tea. They are a bit too popular now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Gas vs diesel will never compare in my opinion. I think you nailed it on the head reliable, power, and fuel mileage vs. high cost, poor fuel mileage. I personally would never do a diesel swap unless I was wanting to build a k20 to tow with. Cummins motors are nice they just don't do it for me. Now if we were talking duramax...
I've been looking more into the duramax setup too. The 12v cummins is so simple its hard to look at the duramax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Cummins powered
Do you have a link to a build thread or more details? Thats pretty much exactly what I am building. Im already on PB front and will be doing the rear soon. Would love to see what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
12 valve Cummins - good mileage, great power, reliable, simple, tough - what more do you want out of an engine?

400 HP with 900 ft. lbs. of torque is very easy to get and will still get just as good, if not better mileage than stock (when you're just cruising along an not using the added power of course).

I guess I should elaborate a little more on what I would use the truck for. Its not and will never be a show truck. Its my project/daily. My requirement for it is it needs to be able to drive 600+ miles in one day with 2 sport bikes in the back + gear, and a small trailer in tow.

Ive had a 12v dodge in the past and loved how the motor felt. The mileage part is icing on the cake. Never been in a big block truck, but ive heard its an in between sbc and diesel. Just wondering what you guys think.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Bhelton

Quote:
No offense to the lsx swap guys but its just not really my cup of tea. They are a bit too popular now a days.

I've been looking more into the duramax setup too. The 12v cummins is so simple its hard to look at the duramax.

Do you have a link to a build thread or more details? Thats pretty much exactly what I am building. Im already on PB front and will be doing the rear soon. Would love to see what they did.

I guess I should elaborate a little more on what I would use the truck for. Its not and will never be a show truck. Its my project/daily. My requirement for it is it needs to be able to drive 600+ miles in one day with 2 sport bikes in the back + gear, and a small trailer in tow.

Ive had a 12v dodge in the past and loved how the motor felt. The mileage part is icing on the cake. Never been in a big block truck, but ive heard its an in between sbc and diesel. Just wondering what you guys think.
No build thread on here, rundown is Porterbuilt extreme rear drop member, front stage 2 deluxe, transports and a 24valve cummins with a 6 speed.
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #12
Nitis

I get it the ls swap might not be as sexy as a cummins but would get your power and some efficiency.

I think you've answered your own question in wanting some mileage simplicity and power if look at a diesel then.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
catch2otwo

Ya I think so too. Just didnt know if I was overlooking the bb option
Old 01-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
Nitis

Even at $2 a gallon single digit mpg sucks
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
kotapug

Im going with a 6.2 out of a Camaro SS with the 6l80e
complete Cam kit from Mast Motorsports
programmer
Headers
future plan supercharged or twin turbo
kotapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #16
CST10

I love my bb. But I've never owned a cummins so I can really compare. I drive my bb to cruisin the coast. Get around 11 mpg and put about 700 miles on it without any issues.

Now you got me thinking of a cummins diesel swap. Lol.

Keep us posted when ya build whatever you decide on.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #17
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotapug View Post
Im going with a 6.2 out of a Camaro SS with the 6l80e
complete Cam kit from Mast Motorsports
programmer
Headers
future plan supercharged or twin turbo
Aren't the 6.2 still considered a small block? Still based on the LS block? Your set up sounds rather expensive and not so great for hauling purposes.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #18
kotapug

Quote:
Aren't the 6.2 still considered a small block? Still based on the LS block? Your set up sounds rather expensive and not so great for hauling purposes.
They do not consider them a big or small block. If you read up on them they are a new block style. It is rather expensive but the 6 speed auto with 4:11 will have a lot of torque and HP but still get close to 20 mpg . My truck is bagged & slammed so I will only be hauling a**
kotapug is offline   Reply With Quote