The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Sklptrljay

How to clean up your under dash wiring?

I have a vacation coming up, and I was thinking about putting some sound/heat insulation in the cab during my time off. While I'm at it, and have everything out of the cab, I figured I would finally try to clean up the wiring under the dash. Not a rats nest, but not very organized either.

I have a stock harness, there are no heater or A/C hoses or box in the way. I removed them previously, as I will be installing aftermarket A/C in the future.

If anyone has done this and has some tips on how and where to route everything, I'd love to hear them. Pictures say a thousand words.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Lou Boffa

Re: How to clean up your under dash wiring?

subbed
Old 09-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
WB72
Before and After

I think we all want a neater wiring harness under the dash, i have no real answers, but I have spent some time just tackling one wire at a time to make it more presentable for who ever looks under the dash.
My mess is typically non factory wires. all added by others in my family, so it was easier to decide to keep or modify the wiring.

Start with a bunch of wire connectors and shorten the excess length that is usually left by the original installer and re crimp the connectors.
Find a place to hang a zip Tie (Zap Strap) loosely under the dash, thread loose wires through the plastic tie.

Patients is a virtue, I am sure you will have it looking tidy in no time.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
jeffahart

Start at the fuse panel and use loom harness tape; and as groups of wires split off for dash, ignition, ect... tape those together where they split from the main bundle. It never really gets super neat, there's too much in a small space. Just tape and push them up and out of the way as much as possible. I just did a rewire and taped everything but the wires coming out of my retro sound are still a bit of a rats nest. It's futile! Just don't use electrical tape, use the OEM style loom tape.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
harrisoncole4

Interested in some miracle Solution
harrisoncole4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisoncole4 View Post
Interested in some miracle Solution
Unfortunately, there is none!
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB72 View Post
I think we all want a neater wiring harness under the dash, i have no real answers, but I have spent some time just tackling one wire at a time to make it more presentable for who ever looks under the dash.
My mess is typically non factory wires. all added by others in my family, so it was easier to decide to keep or modify the wiring.

Start with a bunch of wire connectors and shorten the excess length that is usually left by the original installer and re crimp the connectors.
Find a place to hang a zip Tie (Zap Strap) loosely under the dash, thread loose wires through the plastic tie.

Patients is a virtue, I am sure you will have it looking tidy in no time.
This seem to be accurate to under-dash neatness.
I fortunately had little outside of factory wiring to contend with. I added one wire and removed about 6 non factory wires.
I still need to clean it up more. If i ever find a 6 cyl. factory tach, I'll replace the aftermarket tach.

Bill
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Start at the fuse panel and use loom harness tape; and as groups of wires split off for dash, ignition, ect... tape those together where they split from the main bundle. It never really gets super neat, there's too much in a small space. Just tape and push them up and out of the way as much as possible. I just did a rewire and taped everything but the wires coming out of my retro sound are still a bit of a rats nest. It's futile! Just don't use electrical tape, use the OEM style loom tape.
Can I get the OEM style loom tape from a local auto store?

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

subscribed
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
You might find some at a good parts store. I ordered mine from brothers with some other parts. I think you pay double because of shipping if you only buy one roll of tape on the web. But maybe you can get in store delivery and save on shipping. I only found the flexible plastic conduit in stock at the chain parts stores.

Also, you tie off loop tape at terminations.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #11
jeffahart

Main wire bundle taped off tight
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
I bought 2 rolls from Eastwood's about 10-12 years ago. I'm almost about to start the other roll.
Another old school trick I learned at aircraft electricians school in the military is to use waxed thread and cinch a length on the main bundle [ 2 half hitches or a 'choke' and long tails]. Then as you add lines you make a slipknot around the wire and cinch it up to the mother bundle. To disassemble, you need short scissors.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #13
jeffahart

Hey! I still have a roll of that exact thread your talking about, and the curved needle. I kept it from when I was in the Army some 30+ years ago. Used to use it to field repair canvas on deuce and half's and GP mediums and such. 100 mile an hour tape only goes so far so fast!

Nice tip!
Old 09-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Skinny Kid

Wiring is one of the most overlooked parts of any classic car. The oem tape is good, but since it sounds like you aren't too concerned with originality 3M friction tape works well. I like it on custom builds because it has a nice look and feel and stays in place really well. Just take your time wrapping the harness. Also, try to use a few zip ties as possible and none of those insulated crimp connectors. Try to solder and heat shrink where ever possible. I always get vehicles in my shop that have daisy chained wiring with those connectors everywhere. Not only do they add resistance which adds up, but it just looks bad. If you have the cab that stripped down it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the harness with a new one like American Autowire. Not only is the quality top notch, but it will be all new including newer style ATC fuses, but also has circuits for A/C and other accessories you may want in the furure. Just my .02
Skinny Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Kid View Post
Wiring is one of the most overlooked parts of any classic car. The oem tape is good, but since it sounds like you aren't too concerned with originality 3M friction tape works well. I like it on custom builds because it has a nice look and feel and stays in place really well. Just take your time wrapping the harness. Also, try to use a few zip ties as possible and none of those insulated crimp connectors. Try to solder and heat shrink where ever possible. I always get vehicles in my shop that have daisy chained wiring with those connectors everywhere. Not only do they add resistance which adds up, but it just looks bad. If you have the cab that stripped down it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the harness with a new one like American Autowire. Not only is the quality top notch, but it will be all new including newer style ATC fuses, but also has circuits for A/C and other accessories you may want in the furure. Just my .02
Good ideas. I have a few of the insulated connectors, and they have heat shrink over them so they don't really stand out. I don't have the budget for a new harness right now, I thought hard about it when I was building the truck, but the factory wiring is in really good shape (California truck stored inside it's whole life).

I'll try the solder gun when I have the carpet out, sounds like a sleeker look.

I'll give the friction tape a try, thanks.

Last edited by Sklptrljay; 09-26-2015 at 11:23 AM.