The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Daily drive my truck?
Keep the truck as is. (semi hotrod) 5 31.25%
Sell both trucks and just get a good driver. 0 0%
Make the 69 a daily driver, and look to the future. 4 25.00%
I dunno, sounds messed up....... 7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2002, 11:30 PM   #1
racedvl
Account Suspended

Make it a daily driver??

Ok as it sits now, I'm gonna need a new daily driver. My 87 4x4 suburban is just p*ssing me off. I really want another 4x4. I used it quite a bit. And not to go 'wheeling. 4 low and a tow strap can do some amazing things!! Anyways, I really cannot afford a "payment" and whatever I would find, would have to be able to sit until I could sell the 87. I have even thought of selling the 69 along with the 87 to get me a nicer truck choice. but if I can't find anything, I was thinking of.....

Making the 69 a daily driver. To do it, would move me forward in some aspects, and set me back in others. For intance. Daily driver also means snow. And in IL., snow means SALT . The body on my truck is by no means perfect, but is nice for a IL truck. My current engine has problems. I need 80w90 to keep the oil pressure up. I have gotten another 350 from a fellow member, but it has a VERY lumpy cam. Ok, If I were to make the truck a daily driver, these are my plans....

Pull out crappy 355, and install a L6. This is what the truck came with, and did great for 30 some years. L6 would be better in the snow. And on gas.

Install my TH400. It needs to be rebuilt, but I have a auto cross member, and a drive shaft that fits the truck.

Convert to power/disk brakes. Currently manual/drum.

Install my 72 3.07 pozi axle? How bad is a 3.07 with a L6? I think it would perform better in the snow.

If I were gonna do this I would have to sell the 87 to fund the project. I have about half of the stuff needed to do this. I dunno, I really want a 4x4 but I just don't think I can do it. There is a 71/72 K20 here I can pick up for a $1000, but it needs an engine. Also it has been majorly messed with. It has a C30 cab and clip on the front. It is also sitting on 35's and has a plow. And that just seems like a world of trouble to me. I dunno, what do you guys think? Thanks, Jason.
Attached Images

racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote