The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2002, 05:32 AM   #1
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

The good, and the bad

Good: In an odd little 4-way street race (lined up with an Integra in left lane, Dakota in front of me in middle, and some other import to the left of me) I managed to beat two of the other three cars. The import next to me never had anything for me, and even after lagging the start to avoid rearending the Dakota, I just drove right around him...started out a carlength behind and ended up one ahead by 70mph

Bad: I got the very distinct smell of burning oil after that hard run, and one immediately prior...I'm starting to guess that most of my oil consumption happens when I wrap the engine up to 3500RPM and higher. The rest is either the drippings or the valve stem seals on startup.

I've got plenty of crankcase ventilation (in a vain attempt to reduce a front main leak) so that's not the problem. I do notice that oil seems to be coming from the breathers, so it looks to me like this thing is building up some nasty crankcase pressure.

What would cause that? Blowby?

Hey, it might get me another excuse to dump this 122,000 mile old 350 for a new crate.