The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: What do you think?
yes 28 84.85%
no 2 6.06%
Are you Crazy 1 3.03%
your comments 2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
davesamnesia

Glass Half Top

Here is top I've been working on for last couple of weeks. Started by cutting out side windows. Followed the line of the window to top of topper and then went straight across. In front of window and right behind. In order to get the proper distance from front to rear I measured a regular cab pick-up on the inside where head liner goes. This will be my "working dimension" since this will eventually have a headliner in it. I cut the front section, on the top layer, to get an idea exactly where to cut the rear. I then cut the rear section on the inside all the way to the back header panel, leaving both sides in tact. By the sides I mean just that. All I cut was the ribbed section from the middle. I left everything long!! Easier to trim than to add on. There are about 6 support sections between the layers of top and bottom. These had to be removed due to clearance. Carefully removed with a wood chisel and rubber mallet. Will need these later to support new roof sections. Then the fitting of the two halves started. Fit, mark, trim, fit, mark, trim etc.. Once I got it to where I wanted it, used discarded roof sections as backers and clecoed the whole thing together. Re-set 4 of the roof supports removed earlier. I used a two part panel adhesive ( worked great by the way) to bond it all together. Chopped glass and filler to do the seams after bonding. Had a little left over primer and that's where I'm at.
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by davesamnesia; 12-26-2006 at 06:37 PM.
davesamnesia is offline   Reply With Quote