The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
chevy72blu

Lets build a 4 link from scratch

My SWB (LWB w/ cut frame) 72 currently has the stock 3/4ton leaf suspension (riding on 3 leafs ~ level with front). The truck is a street/strip vehicle with a definate emphasis on the strip. Its powered by a 496BBC on the spray that I built (~~550 HP) a couple years ago. Still haven't finished the project or fired the motor, but im starting to plan out my suspension.

Im going to use the stock control arms to save money, with a different spring and adjustables. I'd appreciate recommendations about which springs and shocks you have experience with. Looking for at least a 2" drop up front.

A buddy of mine recently built a triangulated 4 link for his TJ and said he didnt have much difficulty. He had never built one before. Still though, you can understand me wanting to get as much information about this as I can. Does anyone have a detailed series of pictures or a walk through of construction? Would I be better off buying a kit from someone? I can cut and weld just fine, and I have access to a pretty capable machine shop.
What size hiems and tubing should I use? Can someone recommend an adjustable coil-over that they are happy with?

Thanks! I cant wait to get this thing on the track... Im sure Ill make a few passes still on the stock suspension for comparison. Then comes the 4 link and the roll bar .

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 04-04-2008 at 10:19 AM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote