The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
leddzepp

Re: How do you afford it?

First and foremost, get an education. The more you learn, the more you earn. Live below your means. NO credit cards. I know it is easier said than done. Once you have steady employment (a career), buy a house with 5 miles of your employer so that you can ride a bike to work and not waste your money on commuter gasoline. You will also get a great cardio workout. Refinance to a 15 yr mortgage and pay it off. This will free up TONS of money for you each month, and when you retire, regardless of the state of the economy, you will own the house, and any money made selling it is profit. Eat at home...eating out costs a LOT of money, and the food usually sucks and is horrible for you. Avoid car payments. New cars depriciate in value with every breath you take. If you need a reliable daily driver, buy a 10 yr old Honda. They last forever, are great on gas, cheap insurance, and hold their resale value. You will be suprised at how much money you will have for your truck(s) then. Do not rely exclusively on a 401k retirement plan. Yes, contribute to it, but also tuck away cold, hard available cash in a savings account. It may not earn as much interest as a defined savings contribution plan can, BUT you will NEVER lose money, and it is FDIC insured. I am 34 yrs old, with 3 yrs left to pay on my house, looking at retirement when I am 50. Then I can play truck all I want!!!
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote