The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #27
mrein3

Re: A Long Time Coming: Shoulder Harness found in my town junkyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
A van doesn't use an intermediate shaft like a truck. It just uses a longer end. (It is hard to describe, sorry I do not have pics.) Whenever the shaft is driven in to make the van column short enough to use with the truck intermediate shaft, it takes away the "collapse area" you would normally have if you were in a collision. It does not have to be this way, though. I have used a couple of van columns in trucks, and took the inner shaft out and cut it off with a band saw so that I would still have the collapse area. I am sure someone on here has pics to demonstrate the length difference.
Reason number one why I don't use a modified van column in my truck. Safety has come a long way in passenger vehicles. One of the first steps was to take the spear of a steering column and make it collapsible. Then came padded dashes and seatbelts.

WHEN your chest hits your steering column in a bad front ender, you want that sucker to push in, not stand tall.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote