The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Settled Porch Fix

I was called to do gutter work because the gutter was spilling in the middle of this long run with outlets on each end.I realized the whole porch had settled enough that the gutter was low and even the porch beam was pushing back towards the house.I thought the vinyl porch cieling was sagging and alling down because of improper nailing.It was buckled from the beam pushing back to the house!
My remedy was to dig new footers to virgin grade and jack it up to straight.I suggested it was a good time to "pretty-up" the front since the house was built with "minimum" as the theme and this young couple knew that.My idea was to create false stone columns and build properly trimed lattice between them.I also hated the way the soffit(overhang) just ran to the back of the posts with no beam.I nailed a 2x4 up and wrapped it in 1x.There`s just got to be something there to mimmick a beam.
This is after ripping out the slapped-up pressure treated pre-fab lattice,jacking up straight,and footers.Notice the lack of a beam:

I framed it up,nailed plywood,tacked up tar paper/wire lath,and applied a scratch coat of Portland.Then,installed new lattice and trimmed in beaded 1x2 I made up:

Laid up the cultured stone:

I put a new cieling up out of beaded vinyl and trimmed the beam with poly lumber I ran a 1/4" bead on.

Here`s another area.Before:

After:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote