The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
80stepsideguy
Laid back freak

My 1980 restomod project

Hey everyone,
although i signed up last year i decided to come on and be a member of the forum here to show you my project.It started life as a 1980 chevy c10 w/a 350 th350 12 bolt 3.73 rearend.It use to tow our 25 foot tagalong camper very easily.Well the folks sold the camper and kept the truck.I wanted to redo it so bad but i finally got my shop up and built in 2006 and decided to tear into this truck finally and seen alot i wasnt really looking to repair.It had massive frame rot and the cab was trashed as well as the body.Well i yanked the drivetrain and kept what i thought was saveable and cut the frame up and the body and threw it all in the scrapyard.I went out and found a 77 frame and then a 85 cab and the rebuilding began.I painted the frame, rebuilt the entire front suspension, and rebuilt the entire rear suspension.I used the original 3.73 rearend and im going to use the original motor from the 1st stepside.Since then i`picked up alot of NOS pieces and had them all powdercoated, and the cab well thats another story.I removed the corners and got another 73-80 cab sections and modified the cab to accept these and coated the inside of the end caps with KBS coating.It had some rust holes in the firewall so i repaired the rust spots, welded the entire seam and removed the small areas where the washer jets once was on the 85 cab.I replaced the cab corners but the floors and rockers and inner rockers are rock solid.I removed the metal dash and bought a dash from a 76 as the 85 didnt have the washer switch and i needed to remove it to repair a rust hole so it was a good time to put the 76 dash in.Right now i`m still working on the cab, i just welded up the side areas where the door wiring once was and i shaved the drip rails off.I am going to mini tub the bed sides and use a set of inner fenders i got from another fellow 73-87 enthusiast.But here are some pics of it and i hope to keep you all impressed on my work.I been at it for 3 years now and im hoping to have the body done by tihis winter as i`m very picky on my work.I`m also going to use a rollpan and modify some cadillac taillights and turn them verticially on each side of the licence plate holder.I`m going to paint the truck a porsche blue called iris blue metallic.

thanks
pat
The start:

then:

firewall modification

I also like to add i put on a bell tech 4 inch lowering kit on the rear and put 2 1/2 inch drop coils and westin 2 inch lowering spindels on the front along with a factory swaybar,slotted rotors,shocks,braided lines,billett aluminum rearend cover.I`m going to be adding a polished fuel cell in the rear very shortly.

Last edited by 80stepsideguy; 03-28-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: add a few more pics
80stepsideguy is offline   Reply With Quote