The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
mplex2000

Build resumed after a long break - 1969 C10

Well, I bought this thing back in 2005 or so. Actually, my wife bought it for my birthday. Paid too much and it was in much worse condition than I thought. It barely functioned and I think I drove it about 4 miles before tearing it apart. Lack of funds and spare time caused me to ignore it for a long, long time but I pumped myself up by reading the build threads by everybody with more talent than me and doing fancier stuff than me (i.e. everyone here!) and motivated myself to get back to work on it.

The original cab was so rusty I scrapped it and picked up another a couple of years ago. The truck was green, and the new cab is orange (funny because that's the color I want anyway!).

At any rate, here are some before pics to start with. I will hopefully have it torn down to the bare frame within the week and I'll send it off to be blasted/powder coated. I have nearly all the suspension, brakes, etc already purchased, so the chassis should come together fairly quick. Here goes nothing....

Here's the engine when I got it. Yeah, that's a Victor Jr and a Holley 600 Vac. Secondary. Talk about bogging when taking off....

Before I started the real tear down, I cleaned up the engine. I changed the valve covers and removed the throttle return spring set from underneath the drivers side v/c (yeah, it was in there). I ditched the Victor Jr and went with a cheap second hand Holley intake. In the end I decided the motor would not be usable in the long run because it was already .060 over, but it was indeed new - looked like it anyway, and they had told me as much when I bought it, although I had my doubts until I removed the intake.

See how clean it is under there? Too bad it's bored out to 60. The heads are even ported a bit.

More to come...

Last edited by mplex2000; 09-07-2009 at 12:15 AM.
mplex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote