The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
SkylineNXS

4WD Front Wheel Bearing Replacement Tutorial

So this is basically like the most fun way you could spend 6 hrs, no doubt. Couple trips to autozone, and bam, new wheel bearing. This will tell you what you need and how to go about replacing a front wheel bearing on a 2000 gmc sierra 4WD. The 2WD is even easier, but employs a similar bearing.

Descriptions come first as im too lazy to get a photobucket or the like, so pics will follow each post.

Start by jackin up the one side and remove the wheel. I find it easiest to do this in 4 wheel as the wheel cannot spin, and it is easy to remove the nuts. Throughout it may be easier to be in either 2 or 4 wheel, as i will mention, and you can switch without starting the truck, so thats always nice.

Next you want to remove the one bolt that holds on the Brake Line retainer. This is a 10mm bolt. You will also need to unclip the wheel speed sensor cable from this bracket as it will prevent it from moving very far. You can remove the rest of the speed sensor cable at this time if you like. The new bearing includes the cable and all clips, so if you need to destroy one to get it off, dont worry about it.

Next, remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper ASSEMBLY on. I capitalize to try and enforce the correct bolts. Removing the 2 torx style bolts will only allow the caliper and not the caliper bracket to be removed, which is useless as the rotor will not be able to be removed. The two you need to remove are 18mm bolts. Once you remove the bolts, the caliper should "slide" off, sometimes with a little extra help, and you can place it on top of the upper a arm. It will sit fine, but i always like to put a bungie cord or wire around it, as i kno ill probably be beatin on other parts.

Onto the hub. Pry off the hut nut cover with a screwdriver, or whatever means you might have. It can be a pita to remove. You will now need a 1-3/8 inch socket to remove the hub nut. I have a large set of sockets, but you may need to purchase this one. Remove the nut and the washer beneath it.
Attached Images

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote