The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

My Mater Build *** 71 ChevMC plow rig ***

Hey everyone, I'm Kevin. Please forgive me, I didn't see this 4x4 build section! I'm going to transfer most my build from the main build section, as I think it would fit best over here...

So I'm building a new plow truck for next winter. Currently I run a 90 Chevy short box with front and rear blades and an 89 K5 with the same setup. The K5 is rotten to the point where the body is literally sitting on the frame. So I've decided to use what parts I have and build a truck. I'm reading on this site every chance I get and working in the mean time. Progress is slow because of the family, a young toddler daughter and an infant daughter and Mommy needs my help whenever I'm not workin!

The truck will have a Boss 8' blade on the front , a wooden box I built a few years ago and a 7.5' back blade too. My thoughts are tough the first time, less down time when snow flies in Michigan. I'll be running belt driven hydraulics robbed from the K5.

Started with my donor frame - 86 K10 Longbed

Stock Leaf Springs

Donor Leaf packs / 86 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears swapped in

Frame marked to cut

Donor rear axle with leafs - 86' 14 bolt / 4.10 gears

Rough cuts lined up - Cleaned up edges following the straight edge, clamped frame in place and welded.

Engine installed - 86 350, .443" lift & 212° duration cam, new lifters, pushrods, rockers, and valve seals. Edelbrock performer intake, 1405 Carb and Hooker Headers

Fuel Pump Blockoff - Plan to run TBI in tank fuel pump w/ regulator

My free cab and front clip - the cab needs plenty of work and it's not quite worth it. I'll get the truck going down the road safely and worry about another cab to work on later. It will be nice some day!

Got the cab and front clip sitting on the frame just to get a look at how high it will sit. It's well over 7' tall at the top of the cab, it towers over my F250 super duty with 2" AAL and 35" tires.

I'll be manufacturing and selling this universal clutch alignment tool, for only 3 easy monthly installments of $29.95!

I know my vent hole isn't plugged! I tipped the tranny up on my dolley to get it in place. Looks like the ball socket that the shifter sits in is a little leaky too.

Clutch pivot bracket bolted to the frame, something to line up when I'm figuring my trans mount.

Last edited by propanemudtruck; 06-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote