The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
amodedude1

Project MEGA rust! "the beast"

Hey everyone, new here and wanted to share my first project.

It's a 1979 3/4 ton GMC Sierra 350 4-BRL and I've been working on it for around a year and a half on and off between school and work.

My goal here is to do as much as I can to get this truck restored. 79' Might not be the best/ most desirable year, but this truck is over 30 years old, and I'd love to have a nice old truck to use on occasion. I'm 19 years old in college and have never partook in such a long term and in depth project before, so I'm looking at it as a learning experience and am hopeful to see how it all turns out.

The engine is in good shape from what I can tell (despite it's outer appearance) and runs great now that I have gotten it going. I replaced the oil pan not too long ago and the internals seemed to be looking good. It doesn't burn oil or make any out of the ordinary noise other then being extremely loud running on open headers. I'll eventually need to replace the clutch though.

As far as I was told, she served as a plow/ landscaping truck her whole life and clearly has seen some better days in terms of the body. The millage is at 60,000 on both the truck and the title, but for some reason that is very hard to believe. I'm thinking more along the lines of 160000 haha. Who knows, it was a plow truck and did take a beating so I guess 60 is possible?

It sat in my driveway for quite some time until my neighbor graciously took pity on me and let me use his garage.

I'm starting from the rear and working my way up removing rust with a wire wheel first(lots and lots of rust) then sandblasting. Will be getting her ready for paint.

If I'm able to get down to bare metal on the frame I'll be shooting an epoxy primer and then a few coasts gloss black. (maybe some filler over the epoxy to smooth out the insane amount of pitting.

So first lets give you a tour of the truck as it is. Unfortunately I didn't start taking pictures until after I began work....

Here is a pic of the truck getting ready to be towed over.

In the shop...

Notice the Plow/front bumper... 2 for 1 deal!

The engine bay. I'd like to note that this is after an extensive amount of work. The engine bay looked at least 2x worse when I started. Just to get it running I needed to replace flue lines front to back, brake lines front to back, brake master cylinder, calipers, all pads, almost all wiring ext... NOT FUN haha (and I've even cleaned some of the rust off believe it or not)

Can you handle looking at all this rust!?!!
amodedude1 is offline   Reply With Quote