The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Thealien

A different clutch fan option

Some of you myself included wanted to keep things simple and stay with a clutch fan for cooling. My situation was very unique as I was trying to keep my engine as high as I can for additional differential clearance while still using the factory clutch fan and my factory shroud. If you leaned on the shroud even very slightly or romped on the gas pedal the fan would hit the shroud. Every now and then I would notice the temp gauge getting very hot and found the fan stopped on occasion.

I had read somewhere that a F**d explorer 95-01 4.0 fan was 1 inch smaller in diameter and the shaft was about 1/2 inch shorter giving more radiator clearance if needed. I didn't need the extra space so I drilled the F**d fans smaller holes so it would fit my 5.3s clutch assembly. The new fan has a more aggressive blade pitch and no longer hits my shroud. I believe I have solved my getting hot issue and thought I would share.

Sorry I took no pictures!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote