The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
cppursell

Exclamation 350 Engine Damage

I am in need of advice for my ~1970's 350. It's in my '67 chevy C10. Yesterday I was driving home when I suddenly heard a knocking noise from my engine, quiet at first, then steadily louder until I experienced a loss of acceleration, then the engine died after I let off the gas (the whole process from noise to die was about 2 minutes). I was able to pull over, and when I opened the hood, there was oil spilled everywhere on the firewall and in that general area. After a tow, I looked at it today and, thank God, the problem was the copper tube for the oil pressure valve snapped, causing all the oil splatter. I repaired the tube, and the engine drank 1 gallon of oil (that's how much I lost).

After this repair I started up the truck again and it is running. However after it warmed up a bit there is now a moderate knocking sound. It sounded like it was coming from lower part of the engine. I don't know what to do! I dare not run it any longer until I get some advice. All I can think of is that damage was caused due to the lack of oil. Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any and all comments you give.
Thank you,
Christian

Last edited by cppursell; 09-12-2010 at 09:02 PM.
cppursell is offline   Reply With Quote