The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
jonathan-m

Finally slammed my truck!

Not quite the way I was expecting to do it though.....

This was her normal stance:

Aaaand this was her stance on monday morning:

looks pretty bada$$ huh.... or maybe not

Monday I was having a spectacular morning, had just finished up some business that I'd been working on for several months, and everything couldn't have been better. I had the rest of the day off, I was all dressed up and professional looking. I was feeling Super Fly and riding around town in my truck. I turned into a parking lot to get some ice, and BAM I feel the front drivers side hit the ground and grind to a halt.
$hit.

I got out, tried to look underneath the old girl to see what happened, and after a bit deduce that my front A arm has separated.... soo, I've got all my tools in my truck, but I'm all dressed up and stuck in a parking lot 30 minutes from home and its 8:30 in the morning.... whats a guy to do? I called my best friend up ( he was asleep, poor guy), and told him I was stuck. He didn't ask any more questions, said he'd be there in 30 minutes-- just hang tight.

sure enough, 30 minutes later my buddy shows up with a change of clothes and some jack stands, and we get to work figuring out whats up. We jacked the old girl up and find that the ball joint had somehow cracked in half right under the nut, and the whole thing obviously went flying apart. luckily the truck pinned the spring down so it didn't go flying out. The odd part was, I'd replaced the ball joints not six months before with fresh ones, and I'm gentle as can be with this truck, so I can't imagine that it was ever over stressed... it just cracked right in half.

No problem, we drove over to a local auto parts store, rented a ball joint press and bought a new ball joint. Took it back to the parking lot and did the whole job right there where she sat. Took us about two hours, from start to finish. Luckily, nothing else was damaged from the whole deal.

After all that mess was done, we decided the best thing to do was to give her a thorough test drive, so after getting her back home we called up some girls, packed up his car (with the girls) and my truck (with the coolers), and off to the beach we went hahaha.

All in all, the day started out great, got a little bumpy, but finished pretty damn strong. Thank god for good friends.
Hopefully next time my old girl gets low like that it wont be quite so spontaneous