The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
fbird68

2000 Sierra Frame Cracks

Hi
I am not to happy these days and I will tell you why.
I bought a 2000 Sierra Reg. cab 8' box 4x4 about three weeks ago.
Here in Manitoba a vehicle has to go through a Government Safety Inspection before you can register/insure it. I bought it from a used car lot with a fresh safety inspection, done by the dealer.
I know that I should have inspected it up on a hoist etc. before I bought it (I am a certified Tech) but I was in a rush and put my trust in the dealer.
First thing noticed, after purchasing and registering it was that the muffler was rotten (shouldn't have passed safety like that). I went half on a better quality muffler than he wanted to put on. Not a big deal.
When I installed the muffler, I found that the frame was cracked from the bottom web, around and almost to the top of the frame, on both sides, about 2 inches in front of the rear spring hangers.
Now I am a little p.o'd. Just went to show it to him yesterday and have not come to a desicion on what is going to be done yet.
GM says that the rear section of the frame needs to be replaced. A body shop I trust and have known for a long time gave me a quote of $4300.00.

That's where I stand right now. I will update as the story unfolds and will post some pics in a couple days for anyone who may be interested.

Richard

1971 C10 Custom
1964 Impala 2dr Hardtop
1965 Parisienne CS
1937 Nash Lafayette
1947 Willys CJ-2A
fbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote