The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
burbluv

Just got my 62 Burb 4x4

Hey Everyone,
Long time reader, first time poster. I've had my share of classics but after a 10 year hiatus, a wife and 3 kids I needed to find something with great lines, classic style, tons of space and power to pull our pop up trailer. Enter the Burb.
It needed to be 60-66 and I really wanted the 4x4 and in decent shape. I finally found the one I was looking for on Craigslist just over the border in Oregon 400 miles away from me in the Bay Area. After countless calls, photos and emails I decided to make a quick 24 hour jaunt back and forth with my cousin and his son to close the deal and haul it back. The original plan was to drive it back but thought it was better to be safe than sorry.
The owner has had it for the last 25 years and really took care of it. I have records since day one. He started with the original 283 and then swapped it out over time for a rebuilt 283 and finally went with the crate Goodwrench 350 with the Edelbrock manifold and carburetor about 7,000 miles ago. He also rebuilt the transmission and went through the original 4x4 equipment, set it up for towing and added a 4 core towing radiator, alternator, rebuilt the brakes, replaced the leaf springs and had a ton of parts.
Since getting it home yesterday I have been cruising it all day.
It still definitely needs some love but I could not be happier. I am taking it to a local shop tomorrow to have it gone through mechanically, probably needs a master cylinder, need to get the gauges running and just finish dialing it in. After that it is off to the interior shop. It has the front bench seat and I have the 2nd row that needs to be redone and the frame for the 3rd back seat that I need to build or find the seat for and then I will have all three redone at the same time. Finally off to body and paint. This is where I am a little stuck. I found the VIN on the driver side door frame but it does not break down paint schemes. Is there another location to find that info? Also would it tell if this originally came with the clamshell or barn doors. I am thinking of switching to the barn doors but want to know if it is tracked anywhere on the vehicle. Not really that worried about the paint since it does not have original engine but looking to use one of the original colors from that year and if I like the original maybe that one.
Sorry for writing a book but I am pretty pumped.
Looking forward to getting her done with help on the forum.
Thanks,
AJ (Burbluv)
Name:  18a.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  17a.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  10a.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  14a.jpg