The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
glimmertwin01

1973 k5

OK its spring in Upstate NY and its time to put together my latest rig. I started out building a 74 K5 last spring and over the summer stumbled into this truck 4" suspension 3 inch body lift. (see pic below) at the time I couldnt buy it due to being up to my neck in the 74. and Im nnot big on Body lifts at all! and this one had indications of the body being tweaked from the lift, to complicate it more the full cage was welded into the truck after it had already been tweaked.. too much for me to want to deal with at the time....

Forward to October and one evening while browing CL for parts for the 74, I stumbled upon the very same truck for sale one catch it was just the tub. and it was cheap! the tub is a restored 73 K5 with NO RUST or ROT! $600. You know i HAD to buy it...
Over the winter I acquired a 82 K5 frame complete with a 305, a SRTA TH700R4 and NP208. this thing is basically solid with a 4" susension lift and the truck body that was removed had a 3" body lift.

Not being the most familiar with the 2nd Gen K5 platform I did realize there were some changes to the floor to accomodate the rear passengers for the 78 model year. the position 2 mounts were relocated outboard of the frame rails and moved forward about 4 inches. upon closer inspection and comparison of the 2 frames... i noticed some other diffferences ill note as I go along...(the 74 K5 frame vs the 82)
Luckily i have access to a rotted out 73 K5 with a good frame. it donated the position 2 body mount cross member. i brought it home....and discovered the frame rails on the 82 had beeen redesigned. at some point had been widened under the cab floor about 5 inches..... I remeasured the tub and believe i should still have room between the torque boxes on the 73 tub to clear the frame (barely).i will just have to lengthen the Position 2 mount to fit in the frame at its proper position 44" behind position 1 mounts.

At this time, there is no hard top for it...the top i had in mind on the donor was damaged over the winter from the 240+ inches of snow we got here... If it is shot the front part is good and will serve as a donor to make a half top like they had on the first gen. If i have to do this ill use the top and window frame area from the top and graft in a pickup cab back window area and build a bulkhead....

I also picked up a vintage factory 74 K5 roll bar for one of the 2 trucks, and a nice set of 35 x12.50 x15 on alluminum 6 lug wheels. the tires should work with the 4" lift according to the rough country website.

To make the job easier i acquired an overhead Gantry crane set up to lift the body to be set on the frame.... and will make removing the hard tops a one person Job...

here are 2 pics of the truck as she sat last summer before i bought the tub
the first is the truck as she sat with the suspension and body lift and the second is the same pic lowered about 3 inches....
i will add more pictures to this build later this week.
Attached Images

74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Life is what you make it Live each day like it was your last
Old GM Trucks never go out of style

Last edited by glimmertwin01; 04-06-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typos
glimmertwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote