The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
monolith
Zero Albedo

Project "Rekker"

I've been having some problems deciding the direction of my 66 3/4T GMC. I lowered it a bit, took the bed off to clean it up and re floor it, put some headers and glass packs on it to make it feel more like a hot rod, got a 60 hood to throw on to make it feel more like a custom, and now I found a Holmes 440 wrecker bed for sale for dirt cheap.

I knew I had to go get it. I loved that "wrecked wrecker" rat rod truck,though that's way more extreme than where I'm going with this truck, but I think this will set my truck apart from most- and I may eventually be able to tow my projects around, and maybe be able to drag a couple more home when the time's right.

So- Here's the truck as I loaded the bed and drove it home(slowly) and parked it before the weekend. (The bed is secured to the frame with cable come alongs, it's ratcheted down pretty tightly, as precarious as it looks and made the trip without budging.) The hold down tabs were hanging up on the front spring perches, I couldn't get it higher with my hi lift jack.(I had to load it by hand, the seller blew a hydraulic hose on the wrecker that he was going to load it with.) I just jacked and cribbed, jacked and cribbed for 2 hours, then had to borrow his torch to cut some unnecessary bits of metal out of the way, then back the truck underneath, and lower it on to the frame. He tried to hire me on the spot to work at his garage, but it's a bit far. I'm still considering it for the experience, though.

Today the bed's coming off and getting set on stands in the back yard.

My plans as of now: Dual rear wheels, 60 hood, lighten the bed some by cutting the sides off and installing lighter gauge side sheet metal. maybe doing the same to parts of the bed (wheel wells and area outside of the frame) MAYBE some lightening holes in the booms (I'm not ever going to use this as an actual heavy duty rig- I don't think my truck frame could take it, so this is more of a "theme" build.) It looks like I may have to bob about 6" off of the back of the frame to center the rear wheels in the wells,or maybe just relocate the wheel cutouts in the sides to match if that won't look too funky.
I'll probably need a front sway bar.
Maybe route the exhaust up behind the cab and plumb in some flame throwers.

It's got a Dana 60 4:56 rear, 250, SM 420 trans.
cut front coils, I restored the rear suspension to stock and have a pair of "helper coils" that I'll be reinstalling as well.

As usual, any advice, suggestions, warnings, information, resources, hooting jeers, cash donations, or beers are very welcome.

Any diagrams or resources on how to get a PTO hooked up to the bed will be appreciated- I've searched the web, but can't find much info.

I also need a sling and some arms- anyone have any lying around?

Thanks for your time,

Baz

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

66 GMC 1500 wideside longbed 250 4spd "Project Rekker"http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467467
65 GMC 1Ton Panelhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4794432
65 Chevy Panel (former U.S.Navy truck)
64 Chevy Suburban Carryall 4x4http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358348
64 GMC 1000 wideside longbed 305 4spdhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3600890(Rip- parts truck now)
68 Dodge Charger

Last edited by monolith; 06-02-2011 at 02:14 AM.
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote