The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
CVA59

Re: My 61 Build (Grandfathers truck clone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Holy cow, “some” progress? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a truck blown apart so quickly. Nice to see the project coming along so fast.

Here are a couple of threads on the front suspension and motor/trans mounts from my 1960 GMC:

Suspension
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366850

Another benefit of using at least a 63 suspension is you’ll get rid of the early spindles that require ball bearings for wheel bearings. I believe starting in 1962 they converted to tapered roller bearings, which last infinitely longer than the expensive and poor quality ball bearings offered today.

Motor/Transmission mounts
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369663

There is a Persh link in this thread that shows the different types of motor mounts offered originally in the 60-62 chassis. They are rather hard to find, and may not work with conventional power steering brackets.

I used 67-72 style by adding 1” spacers on top of the frame to match the earlier design with the later 63-72 dimensions as shown in the thread.
LOL, Yes. Dad and i jumped all over this thing. In 3 days it was stripped down to the bare frame and all the suspension was dissassembled. I am now ready to take it to the blaster. Shouldn't be much longer until its painted and i will be going back together with it. Can't wait to get the chassis rolling again and all painted up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Damn! thats the most caked motor and trans i have ever seen!
It was insane how much grease and gunk it had. But, the good side to all that, there was no rust at all anywhere on the engine. The original valve covers look like brand new. It was pretty much a protective coating that worked very well.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 06-29-2011 at 09:33 AM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote